Replaced entire clutch system, now no start. Suspect clutch sensor.

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
I'm suspecting the clutch sensor that mounts above the pedal, as I somehow managed to break the plastic cylinder clips during the re/re of my master cylinder (turn 45 degrees to remove). I assumed they were just needed to hold the sensor in place (it seems tight re-installed) but they might have had something to do with the sensor itself.
Anyone know of a way to troubleshoot this sensor without purchasing a new one? I've read of some people bypassing this for some reason, as I assume unplugging the sensor wouldn't allow the car to start (already tried just in case). Will a bad clutch sensor definitely keep the car from starting?
I've been down this road before, but the last time it didn't start, it was the ground wire to the engine block. Checked it, and every other wire/connection I can see and all are good. I have power to the engine, according to the troubleshooting guide on here (CEL and GP lights come on) but when I turn the key, nothing happens, at all. No crank, no clicking, no nothing.
Thanks! :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Someone from your side of the pond said he has another sensor on the floor so the car wont start unless the clutch pedal is pressed. Have you got that or just the one above? I think the one above is just for the cruise control?

On my last tdi that sensor was hanging down doing nothing and I didn't even notice. Car ran perfect.

Take a piece of wire from the battery and touch it to the spade connector on the solenoid that's on the side of the starter. (That's assuming you reconnected the plug of course :D) it should click and crank over the engine, make sure the car is in neutral.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Put in a connecting wire between the two wires on that clutch switch then try starting the car.

BTW, I am assuming that this is on the 02 Jetta?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Assuming you are talking about your 2010 Golf ......... that switch should be similar to the one in the 2002 Jetta.

Actually, on the '02 Jetta (may be the same for the 2010 Golf), there are two switches on/at the clutch pedal. One of the switches is "wired" thru the starter interlock relay...... which requires the clutch pedal to be depressed for starting the engine. That switch is normally open (depressing the clutch pedal closes it).

The other switch on/at the clutch pedal is for the cruise control and it is normally closed. Put your foot on the clutch pedal while the cruise is in operation and it will be deactivated.

Hope this helps!

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Yeah, after more research, it seems as though the sensor I broke is for the cruise control and probably doesn't affect starting. (This is on the 02 ALH Jetta)

I don't remember seeing a sensor down below, but know there must be something - I'll have to go spelunking again tomorrow and pull the battery/start troubleshooting wires...

I was really hoping it was a $10 sensor ;)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There is another switch on the clutch pedal side for the starter interlock relay! As I stated, it is normally open, thus the clutch pedal has to be depressed for the starter to work!

Hope this helps!

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Well I got her running - no idea how though ;)

Only things I changed were installing the bracer-bar above the clutch and brake pedal that I had left off (maybe this completed a ground?) and switching the direction of the starter clip from the wiring harness. I was surprised to see it fit in either orientation.

Thanks for the input everyone!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Glad to hear it's running. I wish we knew how so that I could add it to the no-start thread. I guess it just falls under the clutch switch heading.

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Well it was running for about 10 miles... I swear this car is cursed.

Got her up to about 60 on the interstate this afternoon and soon noticed a lack of power (even had it floored at one point, with little response). When I exited and stopped at a light, I started hearing a loud, steady clicking from the engine. Drove slowly through some neighborhoods, and the clicking seemed to get louder and I could feel vibration from the engine.

So I pulled over to see if my clutch or axles or timing belt were coming apart, but all looked good. The clicking seemed to be coming from the top of the engine or the IP but it was hard to tell. After a short errand stop, I started the Jetta back up, hoping I could at least limp her home, when she died in the middle of the road and I coasted to a stop. Then, no start, but very hard, very slow cranking.

So after I called a gearhead friend for some help, who is thinking it might be the alternator, the battery is on a trickle-charge at Autozone overnight. Apparently it was almost dead. (I did have to jump to get the car started after the clutch work.) A dead battery could explain the no-start, but I don't understand what it had to do with the seeming limp-mode, the loud clicking, and growing vibration from the engine.

Some other things I should mention:

I installed a new IP about 3 months ago - ran beautifully until the clutch went out (for the third time).
Car sat all summer long. I was smart enough to start it up and let it run a few times, but dumb enough to not disconnect the battery.
The battery was completely dead after completing the clutch job, but I successfully jumped the car and it ran fine for a few miles before more trouble appeared.
The car was on E while sitting this summer, so I pumped in about 10 gallons of fuel today from a grocery store. (I ALWAYS go for brand-name diesel, but was too low on fuel to risk a drive.) What are some symptoms of bad diesel?

Last edited: