Best tires for my TDI

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
Hey, I noticed my OEM tires (the two that are left after the massive blowout) are getting ready to go to the shredder.
(Only after 40K miles too. It is not a pressure problem because the whole tire is worn and I don't peel wheels either.)
What are the best tires I can put on my Y2K Jetta TDI while at the same time, not break the bank. I am looking at maybe $120/tire at the most.
Any help is great.

Thanks.

------------------
Y2K Green Jetta TDI - The Ultimate "Green Machine"
1993 Subaru Legacy - will still be kicking into the NEXT century

Sacha

Veteran Member
http://www.nokiantires.com/

I dont know the prices, but there is the NRH2, NRV, NRW. Click on Dealer to know the nearest one to your place. Nokian tires are just awsome.

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI, Atl.Blue/Beige leather, Sunroof, bug deflector, Cd changer, 5 speed, drop-in K&N air filter, descreened(all of them), H&R springs(not installed yet), Solarguard tint with 35% fronts and 18% rear windows.

S

SkyPup

I'd give my high recommendation to Bridgestone RE730s for all around everything best that I really like. There are other good tires but for me this has been the absolute best value in all areas.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I don't see those available (at least not at TireRack.com) in 195/65-15. Are those only available in wider sizes?

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I have found that Michelin X-Ones are a very good all-season tire-I am very happy with the four I have on my car. They provide adequate dry and wet traction, are predictable when they start to break away, and they wear like they are made of steel. As for snow traction, like most other all-season tires, they provide some snow traction, but, of course, ddedicated snow tires are vastly superior. When and if these wear ou and my car seems to have some life left in it, I will go for sets
of individual snow and summer tires-all season tires are really a big compromise.
Nokian tires look interesting-I have seen them, but have no driving experience with them.

------------------

1998 Black Jetta TDi
Bilstein HD Struts/shocks
TDi Tuning Box

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
I put over 40,000 miles on my $29.75 Roadmaster Rampage G/Ts without incident.
www.vulcantire.com

------------------
Ric Woodruff

1998 Jetta TDI Custom Sport

[This message has been edited by Ric Woodruff (edited February 06, 2001).]

diesel des

Veteran Member
The best tyres for outright grip are bridgestone pontnzas s02 pole positions. I run them on my car and really like the grip they give wet and dry. They last about 4,500 miles on the front and 10,000 on the back. Yes thats short but I have lots of power and drive hard.

I tried some harder tyres with a tread ware or 300 on the front and they lasted only just over 3,000 miles. They had lots less grip and this made thim spin all the time causing the short life.

2nynbak

TDI
01 jetta green 03 jetta blk
I have so2s on a Boxster s with 13k and they are showing no signs of wear. I had two sets on my first Boxster and got 35k on both sets.This was with mostly high speed highway driving. I do believe they are quite easy to wear out with lots of hard cornering. They are incredible for both dry and wet grip but not good in the snow or below 30F.

Dzl Pwr

Veteran Member
Picking tires for your car is dependant on what you expect from the tires and how you drive your car.
Where you drive, what type of weather you usually drive in, high speed cornering traction or fuel economy are all variables and there is always trade offs to these benefits.
I would suggest looking at www.tirerack.com or www.dicounttiredirect.com to see what type of tire benefits your needs.
Asking "What is the best tire" is a very loaded question

My $0.02
..Dave.

diesel des

Veteran Member
Mavapa, yes I know i am hard on rubber. My tdi is in a A2 glf and it puts out about 150 bhp. As you can imagine traction out of bends is problem for me. I am fitting a LSD soon and maby this will make the front tyres last a lttle longer, but the back still ware out in about 10K. My alighnment is set Ok and is checked regurally. I also do the odd track day so that doesent help.

For reference I ware out stock VW pads at the front in 9K miles. I normaly get 15-20K miles out of a set of front discs befour the cracks worry me too much. I once ran a set of EBC green stuff pads on in under 4K! My calipers arnt stuck on.
I gess I am just hard on machinery.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Originally posted by diesel des:
The best tyres for outright grip are bridgestone pontnzas s02 pole positions. I run them on my car and really like the grip they give wet and dry. They last about 4,500 miles on the front and 10,000 on the back.

Wow. Diesel Des, are you sure you aren't riding a motorcycle? That sounds like the kind of mileage I get on my BMW, except the back wears faster than the front.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Diesel Des, how many miles on your car? The tire and pad wear indicates that it lives a harder life than most. How does it hold up? Oil consumption? Engine life?

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
00 Jetta GLS TDI
I have Micheline mxv4 on the rear and Micheline Roadhandler on the front. The rear tires have 76k kilometers on them and are good for a while yet. The Roadhandlers on the front have only 15k kilometers on them so far. All these are 4 seasons tires. I live on a dirt road which is not always ploughed and have never had a problem. The Roadhandlers have a six year unlimited wearout warranty, and pull through the snow very well. The only day I couldnt get through was when a 4x4 pickup was stuck in the middle of the road and there wasnt room for me to get around it.

WightTDI

TDI
1998 Jetta (White)
I've personally had excellent luck with the Firestone sh 30's. I've got about 10k on them and haven't slipped seriously yet. I got them for their wet weather traction, but they excel in dry conditions as well. They're rated for about 45k miles and are barely work at 10k (some of the nobblies still there). BTW, Tire-rack.com has a lot of references and customer ratings to help and get opinions. Good luck, and remember that your own driving style is as important to remember when getting tires as what car you're putting them on!

------------------
Eric T. Bishop
White 98 Jetta TDI
1981 Rabbit D
1980 Dasher D
It's the "D" that means the difference!!!