"Create a Vacuum to Pull Exhaust Gases Out of Engine w/ Borla's 'Turbo Exhaust Tip?'"

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
\"Create a Vacuum to Pull Exhaust Gases Out of Engine w/ Borla\'s \'Turbo Exhaust Tip?\'\"

Please help a newbie learn some things if you have installed Borla's "Turbo Exhaust Tip" with positive or noticeable results.

Borla states that their 6.0" X 2.5" I.D. "round intercooled tip ...[has] special internal turbo fins [that] create a vacuum to pull exhaust gases out of engine. [This] increases overall engine efficiency, enhances sound quality, and reduces carbon buildup."

Question: Will this "round intercooled tip" really create a strong vacuum to pull a lot of gases out as claimed?

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited January 28, 2000).]

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Re: \"Create a Vacuum to Pull Exhaust Gases Out of Engine w/ Borla\'s \'Turbo Exhaust Tip?\'\"

Steve,

I think that claim ranks right up there with those "Instant Engine Overhaul Pellets" I used to see advertised in the J.C. Whitney catalog. Borla's exhaust systems are very very good. But their claim for the tip is nuts (IMHO).

Rich

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Re: \"Create a Vacuum to Pull Exhaust Gases Out of Engine w/ Borla\'s \'Turbo Exhaust Tip?\'\"

Perhaps you're right!

I am very happy with the new TT system (includes a Borla muffler) that I have, except, their claims about the "intercooled tip" that would "create a vacuum to pull exhaust gases out of engine" seemed too good to be true - though I'm not an expert here.

Seems that this "tip" is just too good to be true!

------------------

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg

Mickey:

I'll roger that!

My new TT system feels a lot lighter (25 to 30 lbs) and I like the look of the standard "hidden" tip that "Darrell Vittone" shipped last week. Perhaps I should have left "well enough, alone!"

When I saw two separate sources advertising the "Intercooled Turbo Exhaust Tip," I thought I'd better check it out.

Thanks again for your advice!

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.

Steve, how on Earth do you find crap like this?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg

After a week of about 2' of snow and after no reply from Borla, here's the explanation I finally received. Sadly, it contains no details on how the "false advertising 'tip'.
.... 'creates a vacuum to pull exhaust gases out of the engine!'"
---------------------------------------------
Steve:

"Some of the tips we build are what we call, "Intercooled". These tips feature cooling fins that connect the inner pipe to the outer shell of the tip. This cools the outer shell of the tip and keeps it from
discoloring."

Thanks,

Don Cozza
Borla Performance
(800)927-5129 ext.217
donc@borla.com

---------------------------------------------

Sorry I "tipped" you guys off on this bad thread!

Maybe next time, I'll have learned my lesson and give the bad tips to Ric! ;(

------------------

M

mickey

Sounds like nonsense to me. You cannot create a vacuum just by installing some "fins." This is just a silly Riceboy toy. To actually suck exhaust out youd have to install some kind of powered vacuum pump, which would undoubtedly drain more power than it produces.

A well designed exhaust system produces a "scavenging" effect, which uses the energy of the exhaust pulses to kind of "pull" the following gases along. A vacuum won't ever be formed, but it'll reduce backpressure. Any air-cooled VW expert or two-stroke motorcycle mechanic can tell you the importance of scavenging. That's why you have to be careful about modifying the exhaust system. The stock system won't be "optimized" for a higher-than-stock power output, but it is carefully designed to take advantage of the scavenging effect. Merely bolting on a huge set of pipes and removing the cat/muffler/resonators can often result in a reduction of power, rather than an increase. That's why I have to laugh at Riceboys and their slammed Hondas. You just know they're judging the effectiveness of an exhaust system by the diameter of the chrome tailpipe tip!

From what I've read, the TT cat-back system is a good one.

-mickey