No Music

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
So I bought a 2002 Jetta TDI auto the other day, and the radio does not work. The guy just put a new battery in and he said the radio worked fine before he removed the old battery, and that the code just had to be put in. Well, the radio never even turns on, no safe mode, no blinking red lite, no nothing. It's as if it isn't even plugged in. I checked the fuse in the side panel by the driver's door, #42, and it is fine. Any ideas on what could cause the radio to do this. I've disconected the battery and let it sit like that as well. Oh, and what should I expect to pay the dealer for a timing belt change
Thanks- Josh

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
You may need to check the fuse in the back of the radio and see if it is blown. You will need to pull the radio to accomplish this.

pilotcam

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I'm surprised someone else hasn't chimed in here..

You really don't want to go to the dealer for the timing belt job. You can almost guarantee some sort of problem.

Post your location, or update your profile with your location. There are a number of excellent TDI mechs on this site who will help you out. (for cheaper than the dealer too.)

Alternatively, if you like the weekend mechanic gig, you could do it yourself... that's what I did. (It's still ticking too!)

Good luck!

Cam

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
To answer your question, dealers charge in the neighborhood of $1K - plus or minus. I wouldn't suggest going to them, but that wasn't the question.

okimavich

Veteran Member
TDI
`16 Audi A6
There was some kind of quirky bug with the radio. I had the same thing with my '02 Jetta. I had to pull the radio out, unplug the harness and then get at the fuse on the back. Pull it out for ~10 seconds and then reinsert. This should "reboot" the radio and let you enjoy your music.

It only happened to me once. Or if the car is still under warranty, you may be able to take to the dealer and have them replace it for free. I believe there was some kind of TSB on it. Try searching for it.