VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
BTW, I'm not talking out of my backside here since I have successfully turned in a vehicle with a restored salvage title. The car was totaled before Sept of '15 and put back into service before Sept of '15 too. I provided documentation regarding when the car was totaled, as well as inspection documentation when the car was rebuilt. Additionally I provided documentation showing the car had been continually registered since the time it was rebuilt. I also provided a bill of sale from when I purchased the car. It was accepted by VW back in February of last year. It most likely would have been held up like most of your cars had I waited to turn it in later. But it most certainly fit the criteria set forth in the latest meeting.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
The car cannot be operated on US roads until the car is repaired, regardless of who repairs it or what the cost is. And that my friend is the reason that anyone holding a salvage title car (not a restored salvage title car) is being deemed ineligible by VW and the courts.
With the clarification of what you meant by 'salvage,' your logic makes more sense (though I do not necessarily agree with you about your interpretation of the 'spirit of the settlement'), but this quote above is where you make the jump in your logic. There are many people with rebuilt/restored branded titles that not only 'can' drive on the road, but they actually 'are' registered and driving on the road.

VW isn't denying only those with 'yet to be repaired' salavage cars that are not yet legally roadworthy, so being roadworthy or not is not the reason they are denying the cars, as you claim. VW is blanket denying any and all branded title cars, including ones currently rebuilt and driving, as a way to get out of paying for them. I have yet to hear of a single successful buyback of any branded car since they came out with those new classifications, even in group #3 of the new classifications that are supposedly eligible.

Last edited:

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
BTW, I'm not talking out of my backside here since I have successfully turned in a vehicle with a restored salvage title. The car was totaled before Sept of '15 and put back into service before Sept of '15 too. I provided documentation regarding when the car was totaled, as well as inspection documentation when the car was rebuilt. Additionally I provided documentation showing the car had been continually registered since the time it was rebuilt. I also provided a bill of sale from when I purchased the car. It was accepted by VW back in February of last year. It most likely would have been held up like most of your cars had I waited to turn it in later. But it most certainly fit the criteria set forth in the latest meeting.
Did they ask for all of this extra documentation, or did you provide it voluntarily?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Umm...not wrong. I'm not talking about a vehicle that has been repaired and now has whatever your state considers to be a valid roadworthy title (regardless of the verbage used for the title brand). If your car was legally registered and on the road in September of '15, regardless of title brand, you're probably eligible. What I'm talking about is a car that was damaged beyond economical repair and deemed so by an insurance company and thus written off as a total loss. There is no state in the country that I'm aware of that will allow you to walk into the DMV with such a branded title and legally register the vehicle without some inspection and proof of road worthiness. After the car is inspected by the DMV, the title is updated and the car may be registered. I understand some states still use the same "salvage" brand, but the car is still inspected and legally registered. There is a big difference in a "restored" salvage car and one with simply a salvage title.

This is the definition directly from DMV.org about a car that is issued a salvage title after an accident, flood, etc. While not necessarily a one stop legal source for information, it does explain exactly what I said.

"Once this designation has been assigned (salvage), the registration is canceled, and the vehicle cannot be driven on public roads. From this point, reregistering the vehicle requires repairing the damage and passing the state-authorized inspection. Vehicles that pass this inspection can then be reregistered as either rebuilt or revived salvage, depending on the terminology used by the state."

I don't have to be convinced and neither do you. The judge the lawyers and folks reviewing the branded titled vehicles need to be convinced. Apparently they seem to think my opinion is reasonable, since that is the way they have ruled. I don't expect you to have read my previous comments, but I already said that it might be helpful for people stuck in this position to get some description or other written document from the place where the vehicle was purchased stating it would run and drive. Copart does this in their vehicle description as do many other auction houses and even junkyards selling restorable cars.

No sir, you are missing the point. The car cannot be operated on US roads until the car is repaired, regardless of who repairs it or what the cost is. And that my friend is the reason that anyone holding a salvage title car (not a restored salvage title car) is being deemed ineligible by VW and the courts. If a car could not be legally registered it was by definition off the road, thus meeting the "intent" and "spirit" of the agreement.

I don't need to be a lawyer to understand three simple things about the settlement.

1. The court intended to make any 2009-2015, 2.0 TDI, vehicle that was legally registered and on the road (ie operable) on June of '16 eligible for a fix, or buyback.
2. The court intended to make people with cars that were totaled after the settlement was announced (June of '16), but before having the car bought back or repaired, whole by providing them with a minimum of the restitution amount and perhaps even the entire buyback value if the vehicle was deemed operable per the settlement definition.
3. The court intended to exclude any branded title vehicles totaled before September of '15 but purchased after June of '16. The reason for this is what I have already stated, they were technically off the road at this time.

What the court didn't take into consideration is this:
1. Branded title vehicles that were totaled after September of '15 could be purchased from junk yards, salvage yards, auction houses, etc and be considered both eligible and operable under the settlement definition of "could move under it's own 2.0 power" without being repaired or having a new "restored salvage" title issued.
2. Some states use the brand "salvage" for restored salvage vehicles which creates tons of confusion for the reviewers and also undue burden on you folks.
3. Vehicles could be totaled after June of '16, owner given restitution payment, vehicle purchased from auction house/salvage yard by another person, restored to driving condition and turned back in for buyback or fix.

I'm not judging anyone in this position, but I have to say IMO both VW and the courts are not wronging you guys by deeming a branded titled car as not eligible under certain circumstances. I honestly believe the settlement documents should have been worded in a way to clearly define how to handle each and every type of branded title without ambiguity. I do think the courts frown on people they consider to be profiteering from the settlement. To me, that is irrelevant. If the settlement allows folks to earn some money due to VW's fraud, then so be it, as long as the law isn't being broken in the process.

One last point on title and registration. The two do not necessarily go together. Without getting too technical, you can have a vehicle with a title but not valid registration. You can most likely also have a valid registration in some states without a title, for example a '57 chevy kept in the same family for 61 years may only have a bill of sale and no title depending on the state, and could have potentially been continually registered the whole time. Then again, maybe bureaucracy has ended this practice. Also junkyard and auction vehicles even if totaled do certainly have a title, a BRANDED title precluding the vehicle from being REGISTERED and driven on the road (IE INOPERABLE). Many junkyards won't even take a vehicle if it doesn't have a title because it may be stolen.

Let me be clear in my above post, when using the term salvage by itself I was referring to vehicles that had not yet been repaired, inspected and put back on the road.

I stopped reading where you write about walking into a dmv with a branded title and the title is updated. That doesn't happen. You do not have title if you are bringing in a car to a dmv for an inspection in the hopes of receiving title and registration.

Again, a car's status can be "SALVAGE" or "XXX TITLE" where "xxx" can be anything like "salvage" or "rebuilt" or nothing all if it's a clean title. These are mutually exclusive. You cannot have a salvage car with a salvage title in the context of US dmv definitions in any state. People are confounding these terms.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
In Utah, for example, a 'salvage titled' car cannot be registered/driven, but does indeed have a title. Once the car has been rebuilt and inspected, the car is issued a 'rebuilt/restored' title and can be registered and driven. In both cases the car has a title, but only in the latter can it be registered and driven. "
Nope. The web link you posed also doesn't state that. That is your fabrication.

Your web link states "A vehicle that has been “salvaged” or “rebuilt/restored” will be issued a different kind of Utah title..." and that is in line with what I previously wrote.

Check out items 7 and 8 of the link... https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter1a/41-1a-S1001.html

Last edited:

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Nope. The web link you posed also doesn't state that. That is your fabrication.

Your web link states "A vehicle that has been “salvaged” or “rebuilt/restored” will be issued a different kind of Utah title..." and that is in line with what I previously wrote.

Check out items 7 and 8 of the link... https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter1a/41-1a-S1001.html
It turns out that the official Utah DMV page calls it a title, but the code calls it a 'Certificate.'

I don't know what it's going to take for you to accept proof, but I'll give it one more crack before giving up. Here is the Texas application for 'Nonrepairable Vehicle Title,' straight from their DMV page. A Texas Nonrepairable Vehicle Title is a car with a title, which cannot be registered or driven. This is direct, incontrovertible proof that simply because a car has a title it does not mean that the car can be registered and driven.

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications/doc_download/5404-vtr-441-application-for-salvage-or-nonrepairable-vehicle-title

And if you want the words from the actual Texas code, first lets look at the definition of 'Salvage vehicle title' (see #16 at the following link) https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._transp._code_section_501.091

"(16) "Salvage vehicle title" means a printed document issued by the department that evidences ownership of a salvage motor vehicle."

See above for 'salvage vehicle title application'. See the following code that defines the restriction on 'salvage motor vehicles,' that they "may not operate, register, or permit the operation of the motor vehicle on a public highway, in addition to any other requirement of law."

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._transp._code_section_501.09111

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I don't know what it's going to take for you to accept proof, but I'll give it one more crack before giving up. Here is the Texas application for 'Nonrepairable Vehicle Title,' straight from their DMV page. A Texas Nonrepairable Vehicle Title is a car with a title, which cannot be registered or driven. This is direct, incontrovertible proof that simply because a car has a title it does not mean that the car can be registered and driven.

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications/doc_download/5404-vtr-441-application-for-salvage-or-nonrepairable-vehicle-title

And if you want the words from the actual Texas code, it says that a 'salvage motor vehicle' (see above for 'salvage vehicle title application') "may not operate, register, or permit the operation of the motor vehicle on a public highway, in addition to any other requirement of law."

Yes, ok, I stand corrected. However, that Texas nonrepairable title or any nonrepairable title is quite unique in that it's a permanent brand that cannot ever get changed to a salvage title or rebuilt title so it's the exception to the context of salvaged cars and a branded title.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Yes, ok, I stand corrected. However, that Texas nonrepairable title or any nonrepairable title is quite unique in that it's a permanent brand that cannot ever get changed to a salvage title or rebuilt title so it's the exception to the context of salvaged cars and a branded title.
I edited my post a couple of minutes before your post to include salvage title as well, so you may want to re-read it. That was literally the 2nd state that I looked at, after Utah. I'm sure I could find more states if I cared to take the time, but I am not the one making blanket statements, so I'll stop here since your original contention has been disproven. Salvage Title does not necessarily equal a rebuilt/restored/registerable title in all states.

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I edited my post a couple of minutes before your post to include salvage title as well, so you may want to re-read it. That was literally the 2nd state that I looked at, after Utah. I'm sure I could find more states if I cared to take the time, but I am not the one making blanket statements, so I'll stop here since your original contention has been disproven. Salvage Title does not necessarily equal a rebuilt/restored/registerable title in all states.
With exception to a state's unrepairable title if it's xxx title it's registered or registerable. I'm trying to point out that you don't get a salvage title from an auction lot. You get a salvage car. You only get title from a dmv if you meet the requirements, even if it's unrepairable.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
With exception to a state's unrepairable title if it's xxx title it's registered or registerable. I'm trying to point out that you don't get a salvage title from an auction lot. You get a salvage car. You only get title from a dmv if you meet the requirements, even if it's unrepairable.
It's tough to decipher what the distinction/importance of what you are trying to say is. If your point was to say,

"The DMV is the only place that issues titles"

or

"Salvage titled cars can be rebuilt and then registered"

then nobody would be responding to you, because, of course only the DMV issues titles. And of course salvage titled cars can be rebuilt and registered after rebuilding (or, in the case of CA, a salvage titled car means that it already is rebuilt).

But that's not what you said (before your last post); you instead said a bunch of demonstrably false blanket statements.

If a vehicle has a title it is legal, driving on US roads and highways. It matters not that it is a salvage title.
One is driving on the road legally with whatever brand is shown on the vehicle title and the other is not legally driving on US roads and has NO title.
"xxx title" is a legit, boni fide vehicle driving on US roads.
If a vehicle has a title, it does not matter if it's salvage title, rebuilt title, squirrel-monkey title. It's a title. It's registered. Done.
... you write about walking into a dmv with a branded title and the title is updated. That doesn't happen. You do not have title if you are bringing in a car to a dmv for an inspection in the hopes of receiving title and registration.
You cannot have a salvage car with a salvage title in the context of US dmv definitions in any state.

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Jibber, I never wrote that quote about getting a rebuilt title from a salvage title. That is a lie. With the exception of nonrepairable titles everything I wrote stands. Get over yourself. My intention is to distinguish salvage from salvage title and it stands.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Jibber, I never wrote that quote about getting a rebuilt title from a salvage title. That is a lie. With the exception of nonrepairable titles everything I wrote stands. Get over yourself. My intention is to distinguish salvage from salvage title and it stands.
Those quotation marks weren't to quote you. I said, "If your point was to say..."

I still don't get what your is point then. Every single one of your quotes that I put in that last post are demonstrably false, and I already proved them to be false with links to the literal state code showing you that. If you are unwilling to accept it when you are shown undeniable proof, then you're choosing to live in cognitive dissonance, and there's nothing more I can do. At this point, it looks like nothing I can show you will make you second guess that what you are saying might not be true.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Whatever Jibber. Quotation marks are used to quote what someone else said. If it's something you say then don't quote it. Every point I made is correct. If you're trying to nit pick the unrepairable title as a rebuke of my points then ok, in your world, you can be right. In the context of the settlement, this form, and people who are turning in cars that are NOT unrepairable then my points are correct and informative.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I apologize to everyone else in advance for continuing to reply to this. What I am going to say in this post is a regurgitation of what I already wrote above, so I thought I'd give you a heads up that if you're sick of this topic, just skip this crazy long post because there will be nothing new. I'm going to repeat it again, in hopes that he might be willing to read the proof and logic that refutes what he is saying. I would hate for people who may not know any better to be misled by what fookin is saying, especially when tens of thousands of dollars are at stake.

Whatever Jibber. Quotation marks are used to quote what someone else said. If it's something you say then don't quote it. Every point I made is correct. If you're trying to nit pick the unrepairable title as a rebuke of my points then ok, in your world, you can be right. In the context of the settlement, this form, and people who are turning in cars that are NOT unrepairable then my points are correct and informative.
Your actual quotes are clearly delineated in the quotation boxes. I was not trying to be deceptive, and anyone who reads a sentence that starts with "If what you are trying to say is XXXXX..." knows that it is not a verbatim quote.

-----

I am not talking only about unrepairable title; I am also talking about Salvage Title (ie. one that can be repaired). Did you not read the links to the Texas Code, or the quotes from it that I posted that specifically talk about Salvage Title?

Let's look at the definitions first:
https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._transp._code_section_501.091
Section 501.091
Definitions

In this subchapter:

(9) "Nonrepairable motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that:
(A) is damaged, wrecked, or burned to the extent that the only residual value of the vehicle is as a source of parts or scrap metal; or
(B) comes into this state under a comparable ownership document that indicates that the vehicle is nonrepairable.​
(10) "Nonrepairable vehicle title" means a printed document issued by the department that evidences ownership of a nonrepairable motor vehicle.

(15) "Salvage motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that:
(A) has damage to or is missing a major component part to the extent that the cost of repairs, including parts and labor other than the cost of materials and labor for repainting the motor vehicle and excluding sales tax on the total cost of repairs, exceeds the actual cash value of the motor vehicle immediately before the damage; or
(B) comes into this state under an out-of-state salvage motor vehicle title or similar out-of-state ownership document.​
(16) "Salvage vehicle title" means a printed document issued by the department that evidences ownership of a salvage motor vehicle.
Now let's look at what the Texas Code says about the restrictions put on these 2 types of titles:

Section 501.09111
Rights and Limitations of Nonrepairable Vehicle Title, Nonrepairable Record of Title, Salvage Vehicle Title, or Salvage Record of Title

(a) A person who owns a nonrepairable motor vehicle:
(1) is entitled to possess, transport, dismantle, scrap, destroy, record a lien as provided for in Section 501.097(a)(3)(A), and sell, transfer, or release ownership of the motor vehicle or a used part from the motor vehicle; and
(2) may not:
(A) operate or permit the operation of the motor vehicle on a public highway, in addition to any other requirement of law;
(B) repair, rebuild, or reconstruct the motor vehicle; or
(C) register the motor vehicle.​

(c) A person who owns a salvage motor vehicle:
(1) is entitled to possess, transport, dismantle, scrap, destroy, repair, rebuild, reconstruct, record a lien on, and sell, transfer, or release ownership of the motor vehicle or a used part from the motor vehicle; and
(2) may not operate, register, or permit the operation of the motor vehicle on a public highway, in addition to any other requirement of law.
Using the Texas Code listed above, a 'Salvage Title' evidences ownership of a 'salvage motor vehicle.' From the second part, a person who owns a 'salvage motor vehicle' (ie., the person who has the 'Salvage Title' of the car) may not operate, register, or permit the operation of the motor vehicle on a public highway.

It is as clear as night and day.

-----

To go over each of your incorrect blanket statements:

If a vehicle has a title it is legal, driving on US roads and highways. It matters not that it is a salvage title.
As shown above, a car needs more than just a title to be legal to drive on US highways, and, also as shown above, some states' 'salvage titled' cars are explicitly barred from being registered or driven.

One is driving on the road legally with whatever brand is shown on the vehicle title and the other is not legally driving on US roads and has NO title.
Saying that a car with a title showing "whatever brand" can legally drive on the road is inaccurate, as shown above with the Texas 'salvage title' brand explicitly being barred from driving or being registered.

"xxx title" is a legit, boni fide vehicle driving on US roads.
"xxx title" is synonmous with saying 'whatever brand', and the same logic disproves this one as well.

If a vehicle has a title, it does not matter if it's salvage title, rebuilt title, squirrel-monkey title. It's a title. It's registered. Done.
This one has two parts:

1. The first part is the same as the 'whatever brand' logic above, implying that as long as a car has a title, any title, it can legally be driven on the road. This is proven wrong with the Texas 'Salvage Title' above.

2. The second, and I think this may be where your whole miscommunication stems from, is that you seem to conflate, or rather you seem to inextricably link, titling with registration. You say, "It's a title. It's registered," with the implication being that one must follow the other.

Titling and registering are, however, distinct processes that can be done individually (well, titling can be done without registering, but registering cannot usually be done without a title in your name). For example, let's use the Texas situation above, since we have the code quoted here (this applies in any state though, as far as I am aware). If I go buy a car, I can go to the DMV, pay the sales tax and get the title transferred into my name, and I can complete that title transfer without registering the car.

As you can see in the 'Application for Texas Title and/or Registration' from the following link, there are 4 boxes at the top of the application: 1. Title & Registration, 2. Title Only, 3. Registration Purposes Only, and 4. Nontitle Registration.
http://www.txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/doc_download/998-form-130-u-application-for-texas-title-and-or-registration

The title just confers ownership, and you can transfer ownership via titling a car whether that car is clean, salvage, junk, whatever other type of title. The car does not have to be roadworthy or rebuilt to transfer the title and acquire a new title in your name. You can get the title without registering the car. Having a title in your name does not imply roadworthiness, nor does having a title in your name imply registration.

... you write about walking into a dmv with a branded title and the title is updated. That doesn't happen. You do not have title if you are bringing in a car to a dmv for an inspection in the hopes of receiving title and registration.
As shown in the Texas code above, you are incorrect, and that is exactly how it happens in some places. A totaled, but salvageable car is issued a 'salvage title' in the name of the rebuilder. The rebuilder can't drive the car, but he can rebuild the car. He rebuilds the car, takes the car to the DMV together with the existing 'salvage title', he gets an inspection (or already had one), fills out a couple of other papers and he submits the documents, including the title that he already had, to get a new, updated title which allows him to drive it on the road legally.

You cannot have a salvage car with a salvage title in the context of US dmv definitions in any state.
You can. Texas is 'in the context of US dmv definitions,' and (if you look at the first Texas Code quote box above) Texas explicitly states that a ""Salvage vehicle title" [is] a printed document issued by the department that evidences ownership of a salvage motor vehicle.

I don't think this can be made any more clear, so if you refuse to see this, you are willfully trying not to see.

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Perfect response Jibberjive. Arizona is basically the same as Texas as I'm sure all other states are with the exception of the actual language chosen for the title brand. This is important for understanding the ruling on branded titles and why VW and the court are lumping certain branded titles as not operable.

Either Fookin has some reading comprehension issues or he's just Fookin trolling us. ;-)

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Perfect response Jibberjive. Arizona is basically the same as Texas as I'm sure all other states are with the exception of the actual language chosen for the title brand. This is important for understanding the ruling on branded titles and why VW and the court are lumping certain branded titles as not operable.
Either Fookin has some reading comprehension issues or he's just Fookin trolling us. ;-)
He guys. Let's not take our eyes off the ball. Forget the title jargon. It does not matter who is right or what we think. The question is - HOW can we get VW to repurchase these cars? Even if VW is wrong, we need a strategy.

Has ANYONE gotten an offer letter yet on a salvage / rebuilt title?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Poncho and Jibber, I stand corrected. You have found exceptions to what I wrote. However, my main point was to get away from those stating they got a salvage title car from an auction lot because title assumes registered in most states. One still has to go to a dmv to get a title. I take back all I wrote. No more on this subject please. Apologies to those having to endure.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
No fookin worries Fookin. :D What really threw me off is I think you and I were both on the same page earlier in this thread and then we spiraled off on this tangent.

logmaster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagon
2013 Jetta TDI with FL rebuilt title, car was totaled 8/2015, purchased it on 9/8/2015, started the process 7/2017, rebuilt inspection on 1/2018. Just got this message:

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. XXXXXX, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.
If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.

Your request must include the following information:

Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number
You must also include a brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination was in error
After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
I just got a rejection letter too. The car was crashed and issued a salvage title in March 2017, then I bought it from a salvage auction in May 2017 and converted to a rebuilt title in August 2017.

I'm baffled. As far as I can tell, this absolutely meets all the criteria set out in February for how salvage titles will be dealt with. And the kicker is that I just called the hotline and they told me that they can't tell me why it got rejected, but that I'll get a paper letter in the mail within a few weeks telling me why.

This is getting ridiculous.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Lvrpl, do you have the title history from carfax or similar and did you mean it was salvaged in March 2017? Was the rebuilt title the first dmv recording since the total loss?

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Too bad the claims support hotline doesn’t have a customer satisfaction survey after the call.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I just got a rejection letter too. The car was crashed and issued a salvage title in March 2017, then I bought it from a salvage auction in May 2017 and converted to a rebuilt title in August 2017.
I'm baffled. As far as I can tell, this absolutely meets all the criteria set out in February for how salvage titles will be dealt with.
Is your car 3.0 or 2.0? I imagine the 3.0 dates are different (corresponding with the settlement), but I haven't read the 3.0 report with the specifics yet.

logmaster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagon
ok, called for the useless claims support hotline, now they are telling me that the vehicle has had a salvage title during the eligibility period of 9/18/2015 (Bought the car 9/8/2015) to 6/28/2016 and that is the reason why it was rejected. Filing for an appeal today. The lady did not know anything about the February committee. Vehicle has a rebuilt title as of 1/2018 (After they told me in October of 2017 that it has to have a rebuilt title for them to accept the claim)

Last edited:

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
The CRC "Framework" likely isn't legal, since it goes in clear violation of the real terms of the settlement.

But even if it were, VWGoA clearly isn't following it. Has anyone found an atty willing to take the case on contingency, keeping in mind they'd likely have 10-30 clients with hundreds of cars.