Does the buyback require all items from the original purchase?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
So I've been dormant on here for a while (as I bought my Passat replacement back in August), but it's quickly coming up to the buyback time.

I currently have an aftermarket head unit in the vehicle, that I will be removing prior to the buyback, but I no longer have the factory head unit that came with the car. Will I be required to replace the factory stereo prior to buyback, and will I be required to have ANY stereo at all in the dash? If I can take out my aftermarket unit and just return the vehicle, it'll save me some cash from having to buy a new one.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
According to the settlement documents you are probably fine. But the only way to know for sure is when you bring it in - either they take it or the don't. If it doesn't bother you to turn it in this way, then wait and see if they take it. If they don't, then drive home, find a head unit, install, and take it back. Having it turned down once would not prevent you from trying again later.

If I had to bet, I'd say they'd take it with a gaping hole in the dash.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm more cautious. Any "History of VAG" document will tell you that VAG (as will any manufacturer) will do anything to deny warranty claims, etc. Is this a different situation? Certainly. However, I wouldn't take the chance. Find a used unit, put it in, done.
My opinion, of course.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Dumpster diving at nearest car stereo installer, probably find loads of dead or not so good replacements.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Answer to the OP: NO. Condition is not an issue, except insofar as the vehicle must be able to be driven in to the turn-in location under its own engine's power. That is all that is specified in the (now approved) legal settlement, and if there's a big gaping hole in the dash, that's that.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Dumpster diving at nearest car stereo installer, probably find loads of dead or not so good replacements.
X2. Put out a want to buy add in the classifieds here. I'm betting someone will send you a dead head unit for next to nothing.

I certainly wouldn't pay good money for one, but if you can get one for just about nothing to toss in there...id do that.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Answer to the OP: NO. Condition is not an issue, except insofar as the vehicle must be able to be driven in to the turn-in location under its own engine's power. That is all that is specified in the (now approved) legal settlement, and if there's a big gaping hole in the dash, that's that.
The question is do you want to be arguing the finer legal points of the settlement with the person handling the buyback or do you want an easy path to getting a check? I will take the check please, all items that are bolted in are still bolted in. Bye VW.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The question is do you want to be arguing the finer legal points of the settlement with the person handling the buyback or do you want an easy path to getting a check? I will take the check please, all items that are bolted in are still bolted in. Bye VW.
Well put. I want ZERO possibility of complicating the buyback process. There will be enough stress/confusion to go around, especially at the dealership at the time of buyback.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Oh, I'm not arguing that point at all: I'm merely stating what the settlement says, and in unambiguous language. Ours will be turned back in box-stock with everything on it that was there when we took delivery, simply because I have no reason to do otherwise. However, IMHO a person who was rejected at the dealer for missing parts would have a very good case for yet another lawsuit, were they so inclined.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, I'm not arguing that point at all: I'm merely stating what the settlement says, and in unambiguous language. Ours will be turned back in box-stock with everything on it that was there when we took delivery, simply because I have no reason to do otherwise. However, IMHO a person who was rejected at the dealer for missing parts would have a very good case for yet another lawsuit, were they so inclined.
...and a real pain-in-the-arse nightmare...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm more cautious. Any "History of VAG" document will tell you that VAG (as will any manufacturer) will do anything to deny warranty claims, etc. Is this a different situation? Certainly. However, I wouldn't take the chance. Find a used unit, put it in, done.
My opinion, of course.
The ball is not in VAG's court. The settlement gives very specific requirements for both the vehicle owners and for Volkswagen. It is not open to interpretation and there is no gray area. The vehicle must be eligible for buyback and be operable.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/FTC_Consent_Order/FTC Consent Order 6.28.16.pdf

II. “Operable” means that the vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0- liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entity from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ball is not in VAG's court. The settlement gives very specific requirements for both the vehicle owners and for Volkswagen. It is not open to interpretation and there is no gray area. The vehicle must be eligible for buyback and be operable.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/FTC_Consent_Order/FTC Consent Order 6.28.16.pdf
II. “Operable” means that the vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0- liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entity from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.
I hear you loud and clear. However, we'll be dealing with VW dealerships, (which are loaded with "gray areas") and we all know how incompetent the vast majority of them are. I've even seen large "Murphy's Law Rules Here" posters at some of them!!!!!
I have no doubt that you are correct. I'm simply trying to avoid the inconvenience of the dealership mucking up the process, creating unnecessary delay.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
So are they going to take my car on a test drive when I bring it in?
No. They will have a buyback "Ambassador" that will have all of the paperwork ready when you pull in to the bay, or specified area. They will confirm the VIN and mileage and hand you a check. They won't look for your floor mats, First Aid kit or for a full tank of fuel.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
Your Passat (and mine) will likely get fixed and then resold to a potential TDI Club member. Do you really want to screw them over?

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
No. They will have a buyback "Ambassador" that will have all of the paperwork ready when you pull in to the bay, or specified area. They will confirm the VIN and mileage and hand you a check. They won't look for your floor mats, First Aid kit or for a full tank of fuel.
This has been confirmed to me by 2 dealers now. The VW dealer I bought my Passat from, and the Audi dealer in another state I just bought my new (used) A6 TDI from.

3rd party person placed at the dealership. Minimal requirements for condition as specified in the settlement. VWoA will own your car on that day. The dealership is just providing floorspace and a parking lot.

Reconditioned cars will be sold back to the public, but they are still not clear if the cars will go back through dealers, or sent to auction lots. I asked a lot of questions because I am interested in getting my car back for the right price.

Also - the airbag recall will likely delay the resale longer than the emissions flash of the ECU.

They also mentioned the 2015's need new hardware and are at least 1 year away from being sold as NOS.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I hear you loud and clear. However, we'll be dealing with VW dealerships, (which are loaded with "gray areas") and we all know how incompetent the vast majority of them are. I've even seen large "Murphy's Law Rules Here" posters at some of them!!!!!
I have no doubt that you are correct. I'm simply trying to avoid the inconvenience of the dealership mucking up the process, creating unnecessary delay.
You're right, but i'm not going to make concessions just to let the dealerships stay comfortable in their ignorance and incompetence. If they argue with me about the condition of my vehicle, I will take them to task over it.

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
Your Passat (and mine) will likely get fixed and then resold to a potential TDI Club member. Do you really want to screw them over?

There's a very good chance most of these cars are going to get crushed. EPA wants these cars off the road.

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
There's a very good chance most of these cars are going to get crushed. EPA wants these cars off the road.
My reading of the court document...judge says eventual "fix" doesn't have to be 100%. His opinion/ruling is that a little NoX above regulation is still better environmentally than trashing thousands of cars. Seems to me clear indication is that most of the cars will NOT be junked. Did I get that wrong?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The EPA wants the cars to be compliant (or at least close). They know that crushing them and building new cars will pollute more in the long-term. In my opinion, they will fairly evaluate VW's proposed fixes. If it's possible to get them close to compliance without major sacrifices in power and fuel economy, they'll do it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're right, but i'm not going to make concessions just to let the dealerships stay comfortable in their ignorance and incompetence. If they argue with me about the condition of my vehicle, I will take them to task over it.
No concession from me, either. I'm just pointing out the potential for DELAY, and confusion, because of the inevitable involvement of employees of the dealership.
Many here, myself included, are expecting a flawless, quick process, once they show up at the dealership. For me, I will try to eliminate ANYTHING that would cause the "ignorant and incompetent" dealership employee from getting between me and the VWoA "ambassador". (I assume the dealership won't be required to keep their employees properly caged!)

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
No concession from me, either. I'm just pointing out the potential for DELAY, and confusion, because of the inevitable involvement of employees of the dealership.
Many here, myself included, are expecting a flawless, quick process, once they show up at the dealership. For me, I will try to eliminate ANYTHING that would cause the "ignorant and incompetent" dealership employee from getting between me and the VWoA "ambassador". (I assume the dealership won't be required to keep their employees properly caged!)
FWIW...upon questioning of my (8 years with them) local dealership, I got the distinct impression that the buyback folks will arrive from the outside, do their completely isolated function with the buyback, and then turn you loose. They will NOT be coordinating with the sales staff in any way. Could be wrong, but I heard it repeated/reinforced by them multiple times.