Low Coolant icon flashing red on cold starts, but coolant level looks fine

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
On my wife's 2013, the low coolant light illuminates every time she starts it up in the morning. I can see coolant in the reservoir, so I'd think it's definitely not so low as to trigger such a serious warning. Is there a way we can shut it up without taking it to a dealer or using VCDS? The car has been entered in the buyback program, so we're not super concerned with the "why" of the matter, just looking to see if this had happened with anyone else, and if there was a quick solution.

The car was in a semi-serious front end collision last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is some fallout from that, but figured I'd shop around for any tips or suggestions as to how to DIY this little annoyance.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Look in the users manual. Warning indicator meaning will be found there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Used to happen in my car every time the weather cooled off. Add a few ounces of coolant mix and it'll stop.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just add some coolant (or distilled water, if you prefer).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Passats are pretty notorious for the low coolant light coming on. I seriously think all you need to do is add some coolant, even if you see some in the reservoir already. I don't know if they came with a low level from the factory, or what, but several of us have had to add a small amount of coolant at some point during ownership.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We've had to top off (3/4 cup) once first season due to low level, haven't had to do it since.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We had to add a small amount of coolant early on, due to the new hose expansion effect*. Have had no trouble since, although I will add that checking the proper level in this coolant reservoir is a PITA since the level line is so low.
If this is a turn-in, I'd just follow the advice of adding enough distilled water to remove the low coolant light. Our local dealer will top up the coolant without an appointment for free (what we did), I don't know about the OP's situation.

*New hoses will expand a bit, therefore lowering the coolant level. It's not a lot, but it happens.