Was asked question about obtaining 2012+ Passat I didn't have answer to..

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Today a family member asked about getting a newer Passat TDI - didn't care about the dieselgate stuff. Honestly, I didn't know where you could get one. I just knew you'd want one before anyone does any 'fix' on them.

So, does someone have a good idea where to buy one? I'm getting conflicting information on how the buyback may or may not work if you just recently purchased one, too. Thoughts on that? Thanks.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
While it is possible to find a used late model Passat TDI, you will probably have to pay the full buyback amount. After all, why should they sell it to you for less than what VW has already offered?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Yup. I'm tempted to put mine on Craigslist. My projected buyback amount is $21,988. Maybe list it at $21,000 and see what happens, lol.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Today a family member asked about getting a newer Passat TDI - didn't care about the dieselgate stuff. Honestly, I didn't know where you could get one. I just knew you'd want one before anyone does any 'fix' on them.

So, does someone have a good idea where to buy one? I'm getting conflicting information on how the buyback may or may not work if you just recently purchased one, too. Thoughts on that? Thanks.
First mistake, since nobody knows anything about the fix, I would not make that assumption. The fix comes with a pretty long warranty extension, so it might be a better deal overall.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
First mistake, since nobody knows anything about the fix, I would not make that assumption. The fix comes with a pretty long warranty extension, so it might be a better deal overall.
Does anyone think the fix won't hurt the power and/or fuel economy? Hard to envision that happening. Next, don't you think the fix will be made to anyone that has one that hasn't had it done, no matter when you bought it? I'm guessing anytime you want to take it in, they will 'fix' it. Hard to envision that any other way, either.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
time to invent and market a OBDII lock box

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Does anyone think the fix won't hurt the power and/or fuel economy? Hard to envision that happening. Next, don't you think the fix will be made to anyone that has one that hasn't had it done, no matter when you bought it? I'm guessing anytime you want to take it in, they will 'fix' it. Hard to envision that any other way, either.

Thanks for the replies, all.
I think that in some generations that are already close that the fix may well have so low an impact as to be irrelevant . . . and the court order did mandate "minimum impact" (or whatever wording they used . . . ). Bottom line is if it's just a change in urea dosing on some, that should be zero impact . . .

So, I'll keep the tinfoil on the shelf, myself, until I see what actually comes down the pipe . . . anything else is uneducated/uninformed guessing . . .

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
I was able to pick up a 2013 with 20k miles for 16500 at a ford dealership. The buy back on my 2012 with 120k is about 16500. So I looked at it as a straight trade for 100k less miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
And deferring the TB another 4 years :)

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
You are right about that, I plan on turning in the 2012 with just over 125k, it will need a belt, oil change and a transmission service soon after. I'm going to miss my 2012. I'm still driving my 2004 BEW with 240k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just re-read this thread. I don't agree, based on my experience.

I think the NMS is simply too fragile in too many areas to expect the same high mileage of German manufactured Passats of the past. My opinion, of course.

Any extended mileage warranty will ONLY be for the modified emissions system.