www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 25th, 2018, 07:16   #1
Kpeford89

TDI(s): 2001 jetta
Default 1.9 alh injection pump jumped time

I have a 2001 jetta alh motor 5 speed and I rebuilt 40 thousand miles ago the car has 180,000 on it. The other night I was driving home and it started running bad would not rev and smoked I got it home and shut it off the next day it would not start so after looking it over I got to the belt and put crank to tdc and pulled valve cover to make shure the cam was still in time did not pull vac pump to tool on yet I found the the ip was 1 to 2 teeth off hole was toward the fire wall the bolts were tight so I loosen the bolts and alined holes and car started so im wondering how it moved the belt only has 40 grand on it and is not lose has anyone else had this problem im wondering if the ip is going bad or tried to lock up I would like to fined out more befor I spend 300 on another belt kit
Thanks
Kpeford89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 07:33   #2
KLXD
Veteran Member

Was the tensioner adjusted properly when belt was installed? In CW direction? Quality parts?

Please use punctuation and paragraphs. Makes it so much easier for others to read.

For a moment I was wondering why you shut it off the next day.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:31   #3
Kpeford89

Yes CW direction and yes Quality parts I was wondering if the belt stretched and the tensioner could not keep up I do drive the car a bit hard
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:50   #4
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpeford89 View Post
Yes CW direction and yes Quality parts I was wondering if the belt stretched and the tensioner could not keep up I do drive the car a bit hard
two posts now...

Did you learn to use periods at the end of sentences or was it optional in your schooling? Really curious why you keep doing that.

Do us a favor and put one at the end. It's actually very easy if you are using a mobile device. Just double tap the space bar. It will automatically put a period AND capitalize the next letter. If you are not, then I presume ignorance at the rules of grammar on your part.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 09:17   #5
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Possible the cam sprocket moved or IP pulley bolts? It's not stretch.
We're gonna assume it was all installed O.K. because this came on sudden like.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 09:18   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I would assume without any other obvious reason that this is a case of installer error. ALH timing belts do not just "jump" around on their own. Either the belt was not tensioned properly OR substandard (prothe, hans, etc.) parts were used.

I saw an ALH with the tensioner tensioned backwards run for quite a while, and some run for about 20 minutes.
Old January 25th, 2018, 10:41   #7
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Any missing teeth on the belt? Anyone know how far off the pump is if it's in the sucker hole?
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 14:24   #8
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Put another way... these belts don't stretch in any significant way. At least, not until the microsecond before they break.

Meaning, your issues probably lie someone other than the belt stretching two teeth... and whatever happened may happen again... this time with valves meeting pistons?!
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 17:41   #9
Kpeford89

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
Any missing teeth on the belt? Anyone know how far off the pump is if it's in the sucker hole?
No teeth missing. The hole was about 1/2 to 7/16 from lining up. I am going to ck the cam to see if that moved any on sat. Im thinking I'll pull the balancer to make sure there is not a problem with the crank sprocket.
Old January 25th, 2018, 17:43   #10
Kpeford89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Possible the cam sprocket moved or IP pulley bolts? It's not stretch.
We're gonna assume it was all installed O.K. because this came on sudden like.
Yes ran fine for 40 thousand miles.
Old January 26th, 2018, 01:37   #11
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpeford89 View Post
No teeth missing. The hole was about 1/2 to 7/16 from lining up. I am going to ck the cam to see if that moved any on sat. Im thinking I'll pull the balancer to make sure there is not a problem with the crank sprocket.
Unless you've got the cam indexed ("locked") you're not accurate here.

Is there good tensioning on the belt? (tensioner failed?)

Tensioner issue or cam gear has spun.

Bottom line: things work, until they don't.

When I do TB jobs (like I do a ton of them- ha ha, NOT! [only have done two]) I have mirrors and a camera to get up-close shots of all my key components (it can be easy to get thrown off by "error of parallax").

I did something on my first TB that I'm not going to disclose until it's changed next (whether it goes to interval or not [now have 50k miles on it]). As it's still working I have no reason to confess! You, OP, however, since you have a problem, need to state everything that you may have had doubts about when you did all the work (those 40k miles ago).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 13:22   #12
Kpeford89

So I checked the cam with the tool and found it did not jump time. So I took the belt off. And found a broken tensioner. Guess I need a higher quality tensioner.
Thanks everyone for there help.
Old January 27th, 2018, 18:11   #13
KyleMillione
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 02 (auto) 39, 03 (man) 48

If it was me, I'd order a new timing belt kit from one of the vendors on this site. It will provide you good quality replacement components for everything on the timing belt. If you got a cheap kit and the tensioner died, whats to say other components (water pump most likely) aren't gonna die next. You got lucky this time, next time maybe not.
KyleMillione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 18:48   #14
Kpeford89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMillione View Post
If it was me, I'd order a new timing belt kit from one of the vendors on this site. It will provide you good quality replacement components for everything on the timing belt. If you got a cheap kit and the tensioner died, whats to say other components (water pump most likely) aren't gonna die next. You got lucky this time, next time maybe not.
My thoughts exactly. I plan on calling frank monday
Old January 28th, 2018, 00:58   #15
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Have you bought a lottery ticket lately?
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote