www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 28th, 2012, 00:43   #1
makos101
Veteran Member

Default Electrical Problem with Voltage Spikes. Video

Ive been having this electrical beeping problem on start up. I finally got my dads scan gauge in my car. Here is a video of the voltage spikes and the dash esp, abs, and break lights flickers as well as all the interior lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0tBEymTg8
Is my alternator bad? What could be causing this?
Thanks Guys

Last edited by makos101; August 20th, 2012 at 01:58.
makos101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:54   #2
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

That 16v spike is too high; could be a faulty voltage regulator; but I'm just guessing.
JB05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 16:09   #3
makos101
Veteran Member

thanks you, Im pretty new to alternators and voltage regulators any more advice guys would be amazing

thank you
Old June 29th, 2012, 16:19   #4
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): All gone

The SG is too slow. Can you check the voltage at the output terminal on the generator? It's the one with the large black wire connected to it.

Can you check for voltage across any of the main fuse links, and for voltage between the battery (-) and the engine block? Make sure you use clean test points.

Basic regulator circuit test - the "battery" lamp will illuminate when the engine isn't running. If the lamp flickers during running or extinguishes when the engine is off, the regulator is probably bad.
jcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 12:31   #5
makos101
Veteran Member

Thanks for your response! Whats SG? Do you mean check the output on the alternator terminal?
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:53   #6
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): All gone

Scan Gauge, and yes.
jcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:59   #7
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makos101 View Post
Thanks for your response! Whats SG? Do you mean check the output on the alternator terminal?

SG is your Scan Gage. Yes, see if you can test the voltage right at the battery terminals with a decent quality digital voltmeter. If it turns out to be the voltage regulator I believe they can be replaced with the alternator installed in the car. They aren't too expensive either:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ulator/ES2792/

That link mostly supplied for visual refference. Check the model number/type of your alternator and verify fitment before you order. I have seen good quality german made parts for reasonable prices on Ebay as well.

Here is what the voltage regulator looks like installed on the alternator:

http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswa...jetta-gls.html

Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:38   #8
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

I just looked at a junk alternator I had laying around to see what it takes to get to the voltage regulator. Once the battery cable, and control harness is removed from the alternator all that is needed is a 13mm, 15mm, and a phillips screwdriver. Once the plastic alternator shroud piece(also contains some unknown circuitry) is removed by taking off the 13mm not, and 15mm nut, the voltage regulator can be accessed by removing the phillips screws. I am reasonably sure this can be done in the car. The coolant inlet pipe/flange may need to be removed however.

Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 23:20   #9
makos101
Veteran Member

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. Ive tried a few voltage tests and cleaned the alternator ground.

When driving the voltage on the Scan gauge stay at 14 volts. But when idle the voltage drops to 13.5. Is 13.5 low?

Does this sound like it could be the pulley, alternator, and regulator? The car has 170k miles and they have never been replaced.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:56   #10
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

13.5 does not seem too low for this time of year. I have a volt meter which is pretty accurate that is plugged into my cig. lighter and it too reads ~ 14v while driving and just one or two tenths lower at idle. I have no accessories ON and my DRL's are OFF.
JB05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 00:50   #11
makos101
Veteran Member

Hey guys I replaced the alternator yesterday. So far there has been no beeping/flashing dashboard lights and the voltage has been steady from 13.7-14.0. There also has been no voltage spikes that go down to 12.5 and then up to 15 when the car is in idle and the lights don't dim when I touch the breaks.

On examining the old alternator the pulley spins freely, there is nothing touching on the inside of the old alternator. When i spun the new rebuild alternator you could feel a light brushing inside.