Steering Wheel Loose

karlkcfi

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hi everyone,
I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI with 94,000 miles on it. The steering wheel has some play in it now. About 1/8 inch travel both fore and aft.
How do I get into the wheel to tighten what ever is loose?

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If you think it is the bolt for the steering wheel, you have to remove the air bag to do it. Joe

eric_x

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 TDI Passat Wagon
I noticed this on my '96 Passat, and I later found that the power steering reservoir was nearly empty. New fluid, and it works great.

karlkcfi

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Okay, thanks for all of the good information everyone. I double checked fluids. It is definitely the steering wheel that is loose on the steering "stalk" for lack of a more appropriate term.
Does anyone know how to remove the airbag?
Also is there a repair manual that you would recommend for a DIY?

slammertrike

TDI
1999 TDI Manual NB
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should find the cause before you drive it any further.
Recently, I replaced the turn-signal assembly on a friends 02' Jetta. When I got down to the steering wheel nut, it was only finger tight.:eek: It was only a matter of time until his came loose. Yours may already be loose.
To remove the airbag;
Slide the tilt/tele all the way towards you and down. Turn the steering wheel 90 deg from normal. There is a hole in the plastic on the back of the steering wheel that you can see. Insert a small screwdriver/pick straight in until it bottoms out (about 2"). Pry up with the handle while pulling out on that side of the airbag. (what you are doing is releasing a spring-wire clip) Remove screwdriver and turn steering wheel 180 deg the other way. Repeat screwdriver procedure in a similar hole on the back side of the steering wheel. The airbag should come off now.
The airbag can save your life as well as kill you. I recommend kneeling on the ground outside the car while working on the airbag. I do not recommend sitting in the seat.
LOL I hope your fix is this simple.