DBW's timing belt instructions are wrong!

porterman

Veteran Member
DBW\'s timing belt instructions are wrong!

As you may know from "timing belt roller woes" I had to force learn how to do the timing belt on my own. I am using the old version of DBWs instructions, not knowing till today that there is a newer version in the "articles section". I am between step 998 and 999. Install center belt cover, then motor mount, next I hear is clunk. Yes, the motor mount that "now way- no how" can't be removed from the car. By now it is painfully obvious that it is no longer centered around the belt, but worse, is on the floor. It was so hard to slip the belt under the motor mount that i am not sure how it came out. I think (hope) that if I remove the small roller and tensioner I can twist the belt enough to get the mount back in. DBWs instructions are excellent, but not foolproof. I am a higher level fool apparently. I'll tell you later why I had to remove the cam to set TDC. Think I'll keep the cd bag in my truck a few more days. OK, his instructions aren't wrong, but maybe I have the engine lifted higher than he usually does.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

it comes out very easy if you drop the engine down from its standard position in the car... did this happen?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

DBW's TB information is a good resource. It contains alot of solid information and some specific instructions.
Consider DBW's TB information as a guide book.
And like any guide book ...(even the Bentley manual which isn't even close to containing the detailed info that DBW's "TB guide" contains) it is open to interpretation.
This is where research ..and close attention to detail is vital.
The engine mount bracket which fell out of your car....happens.
It is easily put back into place by either lowering the engine ...or raising the engine using an engine hoist.
But you are correct..if you've never done a TB befor and the bracket drops out of place...as your's did...it can be a beast to get back into position.

porterman

Veteran Member

I did post this message in light humor. The DBW guide enables me to do (hopefully) a job that I could never attempt. I had the engine in the "raised" position, not "lowered". The support hook on the engine is still below the hood line, so the engine was not raised more than a few inches. I took care of all the "lowered" stuff like the balancer before raising the engine, so I raised it once and left it there. Since I got the mount back inside the lip of the inner cover and up to the belt, I just need to loosen and move the belt, so it should go in. This gives me more practice so I can volunteer to help someone else in the future. I had to quit for the day anyway to buy more gloves and locktite (TM). I just got scared with the now way no how can this bracket come out part.