How to block your front grill with pipe insulation

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Block grill w/pipe insulation----

I did my grill today and found that it would have made more sense to do the job a few days ago when the temperature was quite a bit above minus 11 F. Fortunately, I manage to save all of my fingers. I tried it out and it did a real good job.:p

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Must be because I'm a smoker and my hands are well accustoned to such temperatures, because I got mine done last night in -25C :) It still sucked though... haha... and I don't think I wedged them in there as well as I could have if I had access to a garage. So I went out there this morning and sprayed it all down with water so it would freeze it all together. :)

Can't say I noticed a HUGE difference on my commute. Perhaps 5-10 degree difference.

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf Match TDI 1.9L (BXE) M5
According to Google Maps, it takes me about 5.5km to notice the needle starting to come up. That's driving on 50 and 60km/h roads, temps around -20°C to -25°C. If it's really bad stop & go, then not for a little while after then until I get onto the 80km/h roads. I usually leave the car in a higher gear and let it rev a bit higher so it doesn't lug and it warms up quicker. I can't plug my car in during the day while I'm at work without paying an extra $3/day for parking (no thanks!), but I have never been stranded because my car wouldn't start. Credit where credit is due to the VW engineers that made a diesel engine that starts in truly bone chilling cold!

I read somewhere on here a REALLY good tip that actually works for starting in the cold when it's not plugged in and/or has been sitting a while (even in the summer). When you first get in, just crank the key straight to start without waiting for the glow plugs, but just a couple revolutions is all it takes (like.. whir whir is enough, less than a second) then shut it off. Now do the glow plugs and when they're done, it will fire right up with minimal cranking. The theory behind it is that the fuel either drains out of the injectors into the cylinder or back into the IP and they lose their prime so doing a couple revs with the starter will reprime the injectors and make firing it up much easier. I've been doing it every afternoon after work and man does it make a difference in starting! I don't need to in the morning because my Zerostart and battery blanket have me covered. If you have a hard starting car anyways, you likely have other problems that need to be addressed, but the reduced stress on the starter is always a good thing. As always, YMMV but I'm getting along pretty well with this little trick.

Big time kudos to whoever suggested it in the first place. If only I remembered your name or the post!

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Have to do that mod. After a long drive in -33C temps, I noticed that the clutch pedal was really stiff as well as the brake pedal. Probably too much cold air getting into engine compartment. Also noticed that going down a very long hill (mountain) with foot off the accelerator, the temp gage dropped to 1/4 vertical position after a few minutes.

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the same stiff clutch first thing. It does get better over time though.

As far as temps dropping, I lost about 10° sitting at a train for about 5 minutes the other day. The car was idling. Usually I shut it off, but hehe.. yeah, not that day! I was more interested in being warm than improving my fuel mileage.

The reason yours dropped so quickly was likely because the engine wasn't burning any fuel to stay running (if you have a manual that is, dunno if autos work the same way). The wheels turning the transmission keep the engine turning when you let off the go pedal. But yeah, driving down a mountain in this weather, you probably don't want any go pedal action.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Here's mine.

B4 Winter Front plastic tied it at 4 places

I used Red Green tricks, 2 layers of Duct Tapes for now.
RH lower and bottom grilles are completely blocked off.
Center, and bottom grilles are also blocked off. First lower slat of the center grille is not blocked off for ventilation.

S/A above for center grille. LH and lower grilles s/a RH, except first lower slat is left open for SMIC ventilation

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking of blocking my intercooler off actually. I think the "cold air intake" effect is way beyond the point where it increases power to the point where it's actually robbing power and burning more fuel.

I'm all for losing a couple HP in favour of gaining a couple of MPG. I'm burning a LOT more fuel at the moment, and I'm not too thrilled about it.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't really paid much attention on the mpg lately. Mostly concentrating in cold weather start. My wife has been driving the car to and from work, and all she cares is a full tank of Diesel fuel, the car starts, goes from pt. A-B, and warm interior.

I've seen race and rally cars where the ICs are partly blocked off. So that's where I get the idea from for not totally blocking off the IC, besides it needs sort of ventilation. Even if I totally block off the IC grille, cold air will bleed off from the side close to the IC, since the bottom of the center slat isn't blocked off.

I have noticed that distance travelled per tank of Diesel fuel has decreased, my guess by at least 50 miles could be more. I have to check and come back on this.

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
2010 Jetta Grill

Foam worked perfect!

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Yea, agree....I can't believe I ran out of foam. Home Depot here I come....

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Last year I had duct tape on the outside of the lower grille and pipe insulation on the outside of the upper grille.

For 2010, I have done the exact opposite of last year!

I put the duct tape on the inside of the upper grille and pipe insulation on the outside of the lower grille. Pictures:

Definetly warmer today... Now I have a new problem, my feet get so hot that they start to sweat and when I take off my shoes they get cold! I have to fine tune the heater controls and resist the urge to blast my feet.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I think its worth noting that the benefits of this mod are directly related to your local ambient temperatures. For me, with normal winter temps of minus 15 to minus 25, this is one of the best ideas ive gotten off this site. Almost ANYONE in Canada will benefit from this ( vancouver Island being the only possible exception). Also the shorter your daily commute, the more benefit you will get. And just on the offchance someone from a warmer climate starts to overheat a little , the material can be removed at the side of the road, with no tools in about 20 seconds. Just do it and be pleasantly surprised.

firecrow

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
Wow, its -10c and the car got to 190 at about 5km. At 2.5km it was more than half way, it took the longest to get from about 60 to 90 on the dial.

Great idea, best $3 I've spend on a vehicle.

Schmoky

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, PP520 Nozzles,
After everyones raving about this mod I thought seeing as how I live in the Yukon I should probably do this mod. 10 minutes late and it is done. Only thing is I really don't notice any difference in the warm up time for the car. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days until the temp warms up to -8 and see if I am missing anything. But so far the car is warming up at about the same rate. As a note I didn't have what I thought was long warm up time anyways but thought hey sooner would be better.

Schmoky

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine takes about 1-2 mins / 1-2 miles.

Do you have the plastic u/tray? If not than it'll take even longer.
If you have the metal u/tray you might want to add hi temp insulation or transfer the old stuff to the new u/tray.
On mine I blocked off the NACA cooling ducts with duct tapes for extra insulation

Last edited:

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
I did this a few weeks ago (luckily, right before the big east coast snow storm). Can't say that it heats up faster (never drove it in the cold without it), but it does heat up quickly. I was able to get away with 1 6ft section from Lowes for about $1.79. Since the Jetta has more bars on the grill than the golf, it took a little more effort to stuff it, but I was able to get the insulation on the 2nd and 4th bar of the grill. Then on the top of the bottom grill and most of the lowest part of the bottom grill (wasn't quite enough left of the 6ft section).

Make sure you get the insulation that doesn't have the adhesive applied (saves a few cents, too).

I zip tied the pieces on the bottom since they didn't seem to hold on quite as tightly. (I made one ziptie as a loop inserted from below and used that to hook the lock on the end of the ziptie I was using to wrap the insulation).

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NarfBLAST said:
By u/tray I think you mean plastic belly pan, that is a good point.

But what do you mean by NACA duct?
Yes it's. Sorry, I'm used to the racing car term, as I used to work for a race car mfr.

The B5 u/tray has three NACA cooling intake ducts. It's a low drag, Cd, triangular shape intake duct that was developed for the aircraft by NACA now is NASA

Last edited:

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Schmoky said:
After everyones raving about this mod I thought seeing as how I live in the Yukon I should probably do this mod. 10 minutes late and it is done. Only thing is I really don't notice any difference in the warm up time for the car. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days until the temp warms up to -8 and see if I am missing anything. But so far the car is warming up at about the same rate. As a note I didn't have what I thought was long warm up time anyways but thought hey sooner would be better.

Schmoky

I stuffed 6 of the 8 grill slats with the pipe insulation and my 2000 jetta warms up 2-3 times faster than without it. 6 miles and it is at full temp.

firecrow

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
Schmoky said:
Anywhere from -10C to -30C
Well, I have had a couple days with this and I notice its all relative to the sitting temperature. You have to remember this only lets your car retain heat easier when driving because less cool air is hitting the radiator, but, if the car has been sitting all night at -30C its gotta come all the way back (to operating temp). A protected radiator will *help* but by how much is a good question. I know it helped me when things were -13C overnight and I was able to turn on the heater at about 1/2 the distance I would have done without the mod.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
I am trying my own version of this mod. Instead of pipe insulation which I admit is easy to do but also looks pretty bad, I bought some marine vinyl and made a cover for my car. Since I don't get below 0 F here very much, I went conservative and just made a cover for the lower grill. I admit my tayloring skills are rather deficient and I was working in a wonderful 20 F temperature but it is a start.

I just cut the vinyl, and not very precisely at that as a matter of fact I didn't really measure it. It was just too bloody cold for me to take the time to neatly lay it out and make a nice cover. Then I put in some grommets from the hardware store and used small bungee cords to hold it in place. It could definitely use some refining but it is on for now.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
05_passat_tdi said:
I am trying my own version of this mod. Instead of pipe insulation which I admit is easy to do but also looks pretty bad, I bought some marine vinyl and made a cover for my car. Since I don't get below 0 F here very much, I went conservative and just made a cover for the lower grill. I admit my tayloring skills are rather deficient and I was working in a wonderful 20 F temperature but it is a start.

I just cut the vinyl, and not very precisely at that as a matter of fact I didn't really measure it. It was just too bloody cold for me to take the time to neatly lay it out and make a nice cover. Then I put in some grommets from the hardware store and used small bungee cords to hold it in place. It could definitely use some refining but it is on for now.
You think foam pipe insulation looks bad? That looks like a train wreck!

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
I finally did mine a day ago. Wow my 04 Jetta sure did warm up MUCH quicker this morning even though it was only 10 F when I left for work. Normally I will not get any heat at all since I only work about 5 min from home. Today I was getting some heat when I was about 3/4 way to work. Whee!!!!!

The best and cheapest mod I've ever done for my car. Thank you so much.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
NB_TDi said:
You think foam pipe insulation looks bad? That looks like a train wreck!
I would disagree with you on that. Although it ain't pretty it is still a work in progress. Also, this is what a train wreck looks like.:rolleyes: