Diesel Buggy???????

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Over in another thread I saw a link posted by toofer to someone putting a 1.6TD in a porshe. Over the last few weeks, I have been tempted to build a manx clone. How cool would it be to have a diesel buggy?
My Experience and skills in chronological order:
Small engine mechanic and builder since age 11
1981 rabbit diesel (caddie) general maintenance
1969 type I total restoration including all engine work
Mechanical Engineering degree
Two new TDI's

Resources I will have on hand before I start this project:
3 car garage with one empty bay
MIG welder
Access to a simple machine shop with minimal cost
Berrien Buggy Tube chassis and Nostalgia body
A simple 1.6 TD and a Kennedy Engineering adapter for the VW type one transaxle

Now for the real questions.

Besides the obvious radiator, transaxle and associated stuff, what else do I need?
Is there anybody in the foothills of NC that has more 1.6TD experience that would like to help? I have the general fab skill and the type I skills, just no specific 1.6 skills.
I know what a buggy looks like with a boxer hanging out the back, what's it gonna look like with 1.6TD hangin out back there?

As a last ditch effort for this project, I have everything to build a boxer shortblock on hand if the 1.6 doesn't work out.

Is it ever gonna happen?
Who wants to help?

Start throwing ideas out. I still have a kitchen remodel standing between me and this project, so start throwing suggestions my way so I can put together a rough budget.
Thanks

vanquishtech

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat (totaled) 01 Jetta TDI Sold 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 24 Valve Cummins Diesel avg 19.6 mpg
Nice....

A diesel buggy would be so cool...I thought of a diesel sand rail, after seeing a 2.0 supercharged in one a couple years ago. Good luck..I'm in CT otherwise I'd be down for a couple late nights to help make it happen!

Ray

97 Passat TDI (totalled) Bummin'
01 A4Q 1.8t 24mpg(that hurts)

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
After watching that trike build-off on the Discovery Channel the other night, I go to thinkin' that a TDI-powered trike would be pretty sweet!

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
michigandon said:
I go to thinkin' that a TDI-powered trike would be pretty sweet!
Think there is one out there somewhere on the east coast. I know there are a couple Perkins diesel powered trikes out there. One is in Erie, Pa.

Welderman

TDI
Jetta
Know waht you mean

Engineer, I just bought a new 2006 TDi with just over a thousand miles on it and love it so far. But my day dreaming also has me thinking that it would be cool to set a TDI in a sandrail frame and get it all rolling. Out here theres a place called Dumont Dunes and people come up with all kinds of cool setups and some have thousands and thousands of dinero tied up in their projects. Sorry to say not me tho. Maybe when I retire and have more time. Let me know if you get it going and maybe send out some pics. Welderman

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Engineer:

Why use the Kennedy/Type I box?? You can get a Type 2 box (T3) with the correct bellhousing for layed over 1.6, or better yet, an aftermarket bellhousing that puts a waterpumper upright (we will have one out of a WestySyncro that has a 1.8 in it when we go on to TDI swap - if you are interested).

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What is the power to weight ratio for a hopped up air cooled 1.6 or 1.8 versus a chipped 1.9 TDI? Remember to add for the radiator and such for the TDI. Is this diesel weight penalty really what a lightweight, surface skimming vehicle needs hung on the back end?
Diesel for a Suzuki Samurai rock crawler, keep air cooled flat four (or Porsche 6) for a sand rail.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Pat Dolan said:
Engineer:

Why use the Kennedy/Type I box?? You can get a Type 2 box (T3) with the correct bellhousing for layed over 1.6, or better yet, an aftermarket bellhousing that puts a waterpumper upright (we will have one out of a WestySyncro that has a 1.8 in it when we go on to TDI swap - if you are interested).
Let me make sure I understand you correctly. I can get a Type II transmission and a 1.6 will bolt directly to it, or, a type II box with a new bellhousing that the 1.6 will bolt to upright?

What do I need to do to the type I chassis to make it accept a type II trans? I just picked up a 1968 swing axle beetle today as my chassis donor.
Sorry but I know nothing about vw buses. All my aircooled dealings have been with type I.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
engineerorange:

To begin with, you need to be IRS to use the TypeII box. From the beginning of IRS TypeIIs, they used a different gear case from all others (except some 181). All of these boxes use a separate bellhousing, so that VW could adapt whatever powerplant they wanted/needed. The 1.6NA diesel was in there (layed way over) and there are aftermarket bellhousings that stand one up straight. It will be a lot easier to just find/build a gearbox and buy an upright bellhousing than finding a complete diesel gearbox (with bellhousing), and then you would need the high-angle oil pan, pump, etc. There MAY be a swing-axle conversion for this box....but I would have to wonder why. The typeII box is often used in buggies, so there should be plenty of room, and mounts are easy (they do NOT mount on frame horns, they hang from on top plus rear engine hangars).