Auto to 5Spd - 2004 PD Wiring

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
Hey everyone. question for those who have done this swap.

Need help with the wiring:

the auto tranny only had 3 connectors.

1x 8 pin
1x 1pin (starter?)
1x MULTI pin

how do i go about wiring the reverse lights and starter interlock. here are the 3 connectors. I have searched everywhere and cant find a proper answer.

the only thing i have found is the posts below. But i dont understand them since the auto tranny only has 3 connectors:

So what it looks like, THIS IS FOR THE MK4 PD ONLY

There should be a VSS connector somewhere on the engine harness it will have a black/white, white/blue, and brown wire.
These should already have the correct pins.

Black/White should have continuity to fuse S7 in the drivers side door. it's a 10A fuse. This goes to Pin 1 on the VSS connector
White/Blue should have continuity to pin 28 on the small connector to the ECU This goes to pin 2 on the VSS connector
Brown should have continuity to ground. This goes to pin 3 on the VSS connector.

"""""""""The reverse switch will connect on one side to the black green wire and the other to the yellow blue wire, which leads to the interior of the car (the PN relay) which should be tied to the Black Blue wire to the reverse lights.

The Blue/Purple wire is the wire that goes between the ECU pin 54 and TCU pin 56. This will be tied to the red grey wire that will connect to the clutch switch. The other end will need to connect to pin 43 in the ECU. The clutch switch will connect to the black green wire.

starting interlock should be the same as the ALH directions, as most of the wiring is the same. YMMV

ok, I just pulled up the instructions and I think I found an error in the wiring schematic. You need to use the picture on page 40 of the ECU connector for the proper wire location. The wiring schematic that is earlier in the how to show the number "68" so if you count over to 66 you are in the wrong location. The picture of the ECU connector on page 40 shows the correct representation of the wiring locations. USE THAT TO FIND WHICH WIRES GO WHERE!!

2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 5 speed swap wiring
Followed instructions for starter interlock and reverse wiring from Boertje’s Auto to 6 speed
swap write up.
Cruise control was followed except for the following differences.
I followed the yellow/blue wire from the 175 relay to the TCU- T19/68 (continuity check).
Found Blue/Violet wire at TCU- T63/68 that had continuity with ECU- T90/94. I moved the
ECU side of this wire to ECU- T43/94. I then connected the TCU sides of the Blue/Violet to the
Yellow/Blue.
VSS Wiring- I found continuity from the blue cluster connector (need to remove instrument
cluster), green wire T28/32 to a Blue/Violet wire on TCU- T56/68. I then ran a length of wire
from the Blue/Violet at the TCU through the plenum and then into the engine bay with the group
of wires on the driver’s"""""""""""

thank you

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
http://dspauto.com/node/33

This is my writeup on the subject,

The rectangle is the TR switch
The cylindrical is not used (cut out)
The "square" connector is the one you will be using for the clutch cancel and reverse lights (same wiring as the 4 speed)

This has been hashed out hundreds of times before :) the wiring is the only thing I ever get phone calls about.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The starter interlock, 1 pin, just plugs right into the new starter
You'll still want to get both the negative main, and the positive wire for the main starter wire, as it's different, the other starter isn't anywhere close to the same position.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
just want to go over you DIY from the link you sent.

1st.

The ONE WIRE (in the engine bay) is for the starter. Im simply plugging that into the starter and thats it? Also i noticed the big black GROUND wire to the starter will need to get swapped for a MANUAL version. im guessing those are the "negative main, and the positive wire" you were talking about?

2nd.

the big MULTI pin plug (in the engine bay) doesnt get used. Im simply cutting that and thats it.

3rd.

The 8 pin plug (in the engine bay) - i cut that and will be using wiring for that.

what exact wiring am i using ? NEED more explanation on that.

now to your DIY:

Cruise control on the Diesel engine is pin 43 on the large connector of the ECU, this should be a switched positive (normally closed with the pedal up)

I do this by disconnecting the F8 (kick down switch) at the ecu pin 94/59 and move it to pin 94/43, inside the vehicle I then cut pin 1 on the throttle pedal connection and connect it to the switched +12 from the bottom clutch pedal switch.

FOR the highlighted above: I take apart the 94pin ECU connector and ALL that is done is im moving PIN wire 59 to PIN wire 43? Thats it?

Then i proceed into the car cabin, get under the steering column, and unplug the throttle pedal plug. I find PIN 1 on that plug, and tap a wire going from PIN 1 (throttle pedal plug) TO WHICH PIN (or wire coloring ) on the clutch pedal switch plug???

NEXT:

A27 Bus may not be present causing a fault for VSS, On Deisel engines the A27 bus is a connection between pin 3 on the blue connector of the instrument cluster to pin 90 on the large ECU connector.

The way I do this is to move pin 94/28 to pin 94/90, then move the engine harness side of pin 9 to pin 6 in the orange connector in the plenum (under the wipers)

FOR the highlighted above:

I open up the 94 PIN ECU connector and simply move PIN 28 to PIN 90?

Then i move to the other side of the engine and get to the orange connector (female end) that is located under the wiper. I pull out the orange connector and swap PIN 9 to PIN 6. Thats it?

NEXT:

VSS harness is not present and must be wired in manually: This requires a 10a fused positive connection (usually fuse 7 bus B163) to pin1 , ground to pin 3, and a wire from pin 2 to the instrument cluster blue connector pin 28

The way I do this is to connect pin 2 from the VSS to pin 56 of the transmission computer (which is no longer installed). Pin 1 is connected to the reverse lights positive wire, and pin 3 is connected to the ground in the range switch (brown wire)

I dont understand exactly what is needed here:

Am i running a wire from the fuse box (driver side) to where? to the TR plug in the engine bay? Need a better explanation on this procedure please.

NEXT:

Faults for glowplug heater circuits can be solved by connecting two 1k resistor from the black green wire for the cruise control pedal connection to each pins 70 and 71 in the large connector of the ECU (one resistor per connector), you can also wire up two relays for the same effect.

I am opening up the 94 PIN ECU connector and tapping a 1K resistor into the wiring? This means i cut wires for PIN 70 and 71 and tap a 1K resistor into each of the cut wires...then tape everything up and done?

LASTLY:

i still need to wire in the RELAY 53 inside the cabin under the steering column.

Do i follow these steps?? or is there any difference? Im kinda confused since there is a lot of going on down there already with these 2004 PD models:

1. REMOVE Park Neutral Relay 175
Auto to manual swap procedures for the MKIV including bug.
2. Pull out the socket for the 175 to get access to the wires
CRUISE CONTROL HOOKUP portion
3. Cut the BLACK/GREEN wire (pin #5) close to the 175 socket and connect to the blue or
black clutch pedal switch (closest to the driver seat)
4. Cut the YELLOW/BLUE wire (pin #9) close to the 175 socket and connect to the other
wire on the same blue or black clutch pedal switch
5. Remove the TCU and disconnect the plugs from the ECU. See page 28 for pictures.
6. Find (continuity check...) and CUT the same YELLOW/BLUE wire at the TCU connector.
6a. Find a YELLOW/RED wire on the TCU connector that also has continuity with ECU
pin #19 YELLOW/ RED wire. Cut it at the TCU side and connect it to the YELLOW/BLUE
wire.
(1st check for unwanted continuity with any ECU pins)
7. Remove ECU pin #19 and pin #66 and put the pin #19 with YELLOW/RED wire
attached into empty hole #66 (98 and 99 beetle it is pin #46 so please check before you
throw 12v to the wrong pin)
REVERSE LIGHTS
8. Cut the BLACK/BLUE wire (pin #4) AWAY FROM the 175 socket. Leave at least a 2
inch pig tail from the socket. This pig tail is used in the starter interlock step below.
9. Cut the RED/YELLOW wire (pin #1) AWAY FROM the 175 socket although pin one is
not used.
10. Connect the harness side wires only from the last two steps taking the Black/Blue wire
and connecting it to the Red/Yellow wire.
(1st check for unwanted continuity with any ECU pins)
11. Find (continuity check...), cut and connect the RED/YELLOW wire at the 8 pin (6 wire)
TR plug (PIN#8) and connect to the reverse switch on the tranny
12. Cut the BLACK/GREEN wire at the 8 pin (6 wire) TR plug and connect to the reverse
switch on the tranny
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------- STARTER INTERLOCK aka Starter Inhibitor Switch
13. Cut the BROWN wire (pin #7) close to the 175 socket and connect to the white or grey
clutch pedal switch (closest to the firewall)
14. Connect the other wire on the white or grey clutch pedal switch to the BLACK/BLUE
wire (pin #4) at the 175 socket
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------- FINISH
15. Replace the 175 relay with a 53 relay

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI
don't take this the wrong way. I'm not 100% convinced you are not a troll, but here goes anyways. I've documented this literally 100 times before... but I'll try to get it right this time... again... You are telling me you can't do anything in the DIY, you have asked me the same thing multiple times, then keep asking me again if what I said is right... I won't respond after this.

The ONE WIRE (in the engine bay) is for the starter. Im simply plugging that into the starter and thats it?
for the second time... Yes.

Also i noticed the big black GROUND wire to the starter will need to get swapped for a MANUAL version. im guessing those are the "negative main, and the positive wire" you were talking about?
for the second time... Yes, the negative wire will connect to the studded 18mm bolt near the starter, not the starter itself, the +12v main will connect to the starter

the big MULTI pin plug (in the engine bay) doesnt get used. Im simply cutting that and thats it.
Yes, however you will still need some wires from it.

The 8 pin plug (in the engine bay) - i cut that and will be using wiring for that.
what exact wiring am i using ? NEED more explanation on that.
You will need the yellow/blue wire, as this will be connected to your reverse light switch, You will need a ground (brown wire) as your ground for the VSS, You will need a Black/Green (switched +12v) for the VSS, and you will need ***a** wire that goes to the transmission computer that will not be used (I don't have this documented, but you could just run a new wire if that is too hard to find) this will in turn get connected to pin 56 on the transmission computer, which leads to the instrument cluster.

FOR the highlighted above: I take apart the 94pin ECU connector and ALL that is done is im moving PIN wire 59 to PIN wire 43? Thats it?
Yes

Then i proceed into the car cabin, get under the steering column, and unplug the throttle pedal plug. I find PIN 1 on that plug, and tap a wire going from PIN 1 (throttle pedal plug) TO WHICH PIN (or wire coloring ) on the clutch pedal switch plug???
Yes, you will connect it to whichever side of the switch you want, the other side of the switch will be connected to the black/green (switched 12v) wire that is on the 175 socket, just like you would do on a 4 speed car. as for which side, it doesn't matter, just pick one, it's a switch, it literally creates or brakes a path of electricity depending on where the plunger is.

I open up the 94 PIN ECU connector and simply move PIN 28 to PIN 90?
again... yes.

Then i move to the other side of the engine and get to the orange connector (female end) that is located under the wiper. I pull out the orange connector and swap PIN 9 to PIN 6. Thats it?
Again... yes...

Am i running a wire from the fuse box (driver side) to where? to the TR plug in the engine bay? Need a better explanation on this procedure please.
No, does it say anywhere to plug something into the battery!!!!! you are going to use the black and green wire, connect it to one side of the reverse light switch, and to pin 1 of the VSS sensor. Then Ground (the brown wire) from the TR switch goes to pin 3. Pin 2 just connects to pin 56 of the transmission computer connector. yes you can cut pin 56 then connect this wire into the harness side, not the connector side.

JUST TO BE CLEAR... the transmission computer will not be used anymore, don't plug it in. remove it from the car completely, and recycle it.

I am opening up the 94 PIN ECU connector and tapping a 1K resistor into the wiring? This means i cut wires for PIN 70 and 71 and tap a 1K resistor into each of the cut wires...then tape everything up and done?
You don't need to do this... it won't set a check engine light.

i still need to wire in the RELAY 53 inside the cabin under the steering column.

Do i follow these steps?? or is there any difference? Im kinda confused since there is a lot of going on down there already with these 2004 PD models:
Yes, you will need a 53 relay.

1. REMOVE Park Neutral Relay 175
2. Pull out the socket for the 175 to get access to the wires

CRUISE CONTROL HOOKUP

3. Cut the BLACK/GREEN wire (pin #5) close to the 175 socket and connect to the blue or black clutch pedal switch (closest to the driver seat)
4. Remove the TCU and disconnect the plugs from the ECU. See page 28 for pictures.
5. Follow procedure outlined above for other pin on clutch switch

STARTER INTERLOCK aka Starter Inhibitor Switch
13. Cut the BROWN wire (pin #7) close to the 175 socket and connect to the white or grey clutch pedal switch (should be the top switch on a bracket)
14. Connect the other wire on the white or grey clutch pedal switch to the BLACK/BLUE
wire (pin #4) at the 175 socket
15. Replace the 175 relay with a 53 relay[/COLOR]
not sure if I covered everything as I don't usually have someone who wants me to re explain the entire wiring of the whole swap on a 5 speed AT to 5 speed (or 6 speed) in one thread post.

sorry if I was a little rude... I've not had a good past week or so.

alphaseinor

TDI
Any update on your car?