EGR Not Ready 2006 Jetta TDI

amacieltorres

TDI
Jetta 06 TDI
Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that does not want to set the EGR for emission test. I took it to the smog check and it failed so I drove it about two hundred miles in city and freeway and it failed again. Therefore I cleaned out the EGR and drove it for 1000k miles in both city and freeway. Took it to smog and it still wasn't ready. My mechanic was able to turn on and off the EGR with his computer. But for some reason it wouldn't be "ready". Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be ? Does someone have a specific drive cycle for my car ? Or does anyone know the basic setting number to set through Vagcom? Please help!

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
The EGR valve on the BRM is not terribly reliable once they get some miles on them so it may simply not be working as it should to pass.
Warm the engine to operating temp (coolant temperature of 87*C in group 001 in the engine controller)

The basic setting procedure is in the engine controller, "basic setting, group 003". Click "ON" or Select from the documented procedures in the pull down menu. click ON and wait for it to do it's thing and go back to normal idle speed.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
One option is to pull the EGR, plug it back in electrically it while it's sitting on top of the engine, and then use the EGR output test in VCDS to cycle it a bunch of times while you're watching it move.

As posted about they do like to stick open a bit as they age...often intermittently. Last bad one I found stuck open a bit every 3-4th cycle, but that's all it took to throw things off.

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
egr

Do you have a tune (Malone, Kerma, Rocket Chip, etc) installed? I'm having a problem now, I thought because of the tune.

Next time before you test, you can rent for free an obd scanner from Autozone to check your egr readiness. Myself, I use vcds to check readiness.

amacieltorres

TDI
Jetta 06 TDI
So it has been a little over two years since my post. At the time I simply could not wait for a repair since my smog was overdue in CA so I decided to "pass it" for a small financial inconvenience. Fast forward to last month and it was time for my smog again. All emission readiness monitors passed except for the EGR system again, this time I decided to fix it. Took it to a local VW/ European shop and they said the EGR was working as it should and the values were good. However, they did recommend to replace my thermostat since it had fault code and it was taking longer than it should to warm up. The shop stated that the delay in reaching operating temp could be delaying the EGR system from setting. I went ahead with the repair it was very costly with diagnostic charges. Over 500 miles later and the EGR system was still not set, I tried various driving cycles in city and highway. Took it back to the shop and they just told me to keep on "driving it". Got a second opinion (technically third) from an ex VW mechanic his diagnostic was the same the EGR was working as it should but he did find carbon build up in the EGR cooler tube, he recommended me to replace the EGR cooler but with no assurance that it will fix the issue. I bought a new EGR COOLER and a new EGR VALVE from ID PARTS. I replaced the Cooler and Valve my self with some help from some forums I found here, everything went smoothly with the replacement. However, it has now been over 300 miles since I replaced the parts with still no luck. The EGR SYSTEM will simply not set. I don't expect anyone to have an answer as to what could be wrong at this point, but if you do let me know. I just wanted to update the people that commented on my post even if it's super late.
JETTA TDI 2006, 175k miles. NO PERFORMANCE TUNES.
NO FAULTS PRESENT
MY SCANNER: OBDELEVEN

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Could try a basic setting adaptation with VCDS. It is a calibration process. But you need to know someone with VCDS software and cable and room on the program's capacity.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
So it has been a little over two years since my post. At the time I simply could not wait for a repair since my smog was overdue in CA so I decided to "pass it" for a small financial inconvenience. Fast forward to last month and it was time for my smog again. All emission readiness monitors passed except for the EGR system again, this time I decided to fix it. Took it to a local VW/ European shop and they said the EGR was working as it should and the values were good. However, they did recommend to replace my thermostat since it had fault code and it was taking longer than it should to warm up. The shop stated that the delay in reaching operating temp could be delaying the EGR system from setting. I went ahead with the repair it was very costly with diagnostic charges. Over 500 miles later and the EGR system was still not set, I tried various driving cycles in city and highway. Took it back to the shop and they just told me to keep on "driving it". Got a second opinion (technically third) from an ex VW mechanic his diagnostic was the same the EGR was working as it should but he did find carbon build up in the EGR cooler tube, he recommended me to replace the EGR cooler but with no assurance that it will fix the issue. I bought a new EGR COOLER and a new EGR VALVE from ID PARTS. I replaced the Cooler and Valve my self with some help from some forums I found here, everything went smoothly with the replacement. However, it has now been over 300 miles since I replaced the parts with still no luck. The EGR SYSTEM will simply not set. I don't expect anyone to have an answer as to what could be wrong at this point, but if you do let me know. I just wanted to update the people that commented on my post even if it's super late.
JETTA TDI 2006, 175k miles. NO PERFORMANCE TUNES.
NO FAULTS PRESENT
MY SCANNER: OBDELEVEN
Are you SURE on the no tunes part? You sure a previous owner didn't put a tune on with an EGR delete? 100% positive?

I've had NUMEROUS BRMs come to me with the same issue and virtually every one of them was because of a tune. Reflash the computer to enable the EGR to work properly again, and it sets readiness no problem.

If it genuinely does NOT have an EGR delete tune, then it's possible that there's an issue with the air flow values the MAF sensor is reporting OR what the O2 sensor is reporting. The O2 sensor is there to help more accurately dial the EGR in in conjunction with the MAF readings.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
If you have or anyone close to you with VCDS (Vag-Com) , go to 01- Engine , then Measuring Blocks and type 003.
In Second filed, does it numbers move when you rev it , do not need to drive , in Netrual just rev it till 3000 rpm and let me know if that value moving, if is contant 850 or 1000 then you have ER delete in ECU .

amacieltorres

TDI
Jetta 06 TDI
I was pretty sure it did not have any tunes since the shop I took it to didn't mention anything nor the VW technicians that checked it out, they all had accesebility to vag-com and "diagnosed" the EGR Valve. Today I did exactly as Jetta 97 stated but with OBD ELEVEN since I don't have Vag-Com and well this is what the Live-Data showed. So does this mean it does have a tune?
This is the LIVE-DATA

moonshyne0986

TDI
2006 jetta 1.9 BMR TDI DSG
Hey if you just install one of the block off plates inline between the exhaust and the cooler leaving it all together will you still need a tune?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Does it also report the 850 mg/st requested at idle?