5 speed swap help with starter inhibitor

Maxg1850n

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Auto
I've got all the parts for my 01m to 02j swap and have been reading up on how to go about the wiring. I keep reading that I need to connect to the white/grey clutch switch for the starter inhibitor, the only problem is that I dont think I have the switch on my clutch pedal assembly. Is there a way that I could just bypass it or do I need to find one?
(It wouldn't bother me if I didnt need the clutch pushed in to start the car, I'm smart enough to make sure its not in gear)

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
if you wire it closed that should do the trick. (whatever 2 wires go to that switch just terminate them together)... just make sure you're always in neutral when you start the car lol. :D

Maxg1850n

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Auto
Sounds good, I've been reading up on this and supposedly the 2000 jetta doesnt have a starter inhibitor switch. Can someone confirm this? I have a 2000 tdi and I got the kit out of a 2000
if you wire it closed that should do the trick. (whatever 2 wires go to that switch just terminate them together)... just make sure you're always in neutral when you start the car lol. :D

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
those parts are easy to get to and cheap to make it right. Of course the wiring is one of the most difficult parts so you can certainly temporarily make it start without the clutch start inhibit just to get it going. Simply put a wire with a couple spade connectors on each end plugged into where the 175 relay goes will make it start. Of course you should read GdB's pdf to see how to wire the conversion. Link below.

My advice for folks doing a conversion is to take small bites. 1st get it to start the way I said, then plug in the 53 relay (where the 175 goes) then make it start with the relay by grounding the terminal that turns on the relay, then add the clutch inhibit switch into the ground circuit I just mentioned. Then work on reverse lights, then cruise control. Obviously after you get it starting you can drive it while you figure out the rest.

Here is link to Gdb's document
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GdB_SWAP_ELECTRICAL_WIRING_SIMPLE_CONDENSED_VERSION2.doc

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
GdB’s wiring was wrong for my 2000 golf and 2002 Jetta wagon for the reverse light wiring. I corrected that in the howto listed in my sig with changes made in blue including the different wiring colors. Wiring changes start on page 28.

Maxg1850n

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Auto
GdB’s wiring was wrong for my 2000 golf and 2002 Jetta wagon for the reverse light wiring. I corrected that in the howto listed in my sig with changes made in blue including the different wiring colors. Wiring changes start on page 28.
Cant find the changes

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Whatever is in blue vs green are changes from GdB. It is number 9. He has pin 3. It is supposed to be pin one.
9. Cut the RED/YELLOW wire (pin #1) AWAY FROM the 175 socket although pin one is
not used.

Last edited: