Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

jerard

TDI
1997 Passat
Oahu, Hawaii Mechanic

Anybody know a TDI mechanic in Hawaii on Oahu?
If not it sure would be a niche business.
I got references to other good VW mechanics but none of them deal with TDIs
thanks for any help

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Anybody know a TDI mechanic in Hawaii on Oahu?
A couple of years ago one of the veteran Techs from Cutter VW used to hang around here and sounded like a very reliable, honest mechanic.

His UserID here was "VWRobert51" but he may be retired now.

Just F.Y.I.

Yuri

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I thought he moved to Maui.

As for Oahu... I have no idea who TDI owners go to. You may need to work with a reputable mechanic with German car experience, and possibly buy or rent special tools that he is unwilling to buy when he will never use them for any other customer's car. For example, Metalmanparts.com rents timing belt tools. Visit one of TDI Club's registered vendors for deluxe timing belt kits and supply those to your mechanic as well. Presumably if he works on other Volkswagens, then he will have the necessary software to check the timing.

As with anyone else living in a place without a TDI guru, you need to become something of an expert yourself. If you have a problem, you need to take charge of the troubleshooting, even if you are not especially inclined mechanically. With a '97 Passat TDI, most everything that can go wrong with them has gone wrong for another TDI Club member, so use this valuable resource. Don't just drop your car off at a shop and ask them to fix it; learn all you can, so you can help your mechanic who may never have worked on a TDI before.

vwdzi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 1981 Rabbit Pickup
Does anyone know anyone knowledgeable in CT? I havent recived any responses from anyone

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Does anyone know anyone knowledgeable in CT? I havent recived any responses from anyone
Keith St.Laurent didn't reply? http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=13656

If you need TDI-specific work, after Keith I'd go to Mike McCann in Westhampton, MA http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=52846 , Jason Dignardi in Port Jervis, NY http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=32243 or the Boston area TDI techs (which include Jeremy Crafts in RI http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=35615)

Yuri

PS: for Jason: I didn't forget MrChill - I'm one of his biggest fans (I know... stand in line...), but Braintree is a bit far, and in the Greater Boston area there are a lot of highly recommendable TDI techs...

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Don't forget Chris Hill MrChill here in Boston. Kraftwerke.

POS VW

TDI
02 Jetta
i had a so-so experience with Peoples II in highland NY.

while the mechanical work they did turned out OK(at best)

the customer service was less than great.

- i got my car back from them with a terrible idle (IQ was under 1.0 warmed up at idle) "basic settings" according the them

- my firewall heat shield was torn and damaged

- downpipe had 2 loose nuts

- a and b pillars have greasey hand prints

- driverside rear door has big scuff

- interior was soiled with mud and other outdoorsy material

- engine cover stud stripped on intake manifold.

- tow hook was removed from front of car and not replaced in the car. still dont have one.

they didnt keep me updated as to what was going on. i had to call and keep tabs on my car.

the day the car was done, they were reluctant to let me pick it up. i basically told them im coming to get the car, and that is that.

while im not complaining about the work they performed, they seem to be lacking in the organization side of things.

i would honestly avoid them again

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Ouch... that's not a very good review.

I updated Peoples II's website information, as an incorrect one was listed before. Site is pretty basic and doesn't provide a whole lot of good info about their business. :confused:

http://www.peoplesii.com

Last edited:

Chad@EuroTec

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi, 6sp manual
Not sure what you mean...
Well, I searched the site for my name and business name, trying to get some feedback on my work, quality, ect. I found where one customer recommended me to another user, then that user came on after service and gave me a good review.

When I look at my profile statistics, it reads "Referrals: 0"

Who changes that? The thread seems specific, and maybe hard to find. It would make it easier for TDi owners in my area to feel confident with me. Also, I have customers whom volunteered referrals, and I do not want to wear out my welcome!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3331075#post3331075

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
That part of your profile is the number of people who you've referred to TDIClub - that is, the number of people who put "Chad@EuroTec" in the field on the registration form that asks who invited you to the forum.

For almost everyone on this forum, that's 0.

Chad@EuroTec

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi, 6sp manual
That part of your profile is the number of people who you've referred to TDIClub - that is, the number of people who put "Chad@EuroTec" in the field on the registration form that asks who invited you to the forum.

For almost everyone on this forum, that's 0.
Oh, that makes sense. Thing is, most TDi people that I know, found me here! I will keep trying to get that number up as well though!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
ANYONE THINKING OF HAVING WORK DONE OR BUYING PARTS, AVOID Derek Scott at Exklusiv Motorsports AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!

Please see this topic showing the carnage caused by one of his installs:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301298

Derek Scott at Exklusiv Motorsports of Phoenix, Arizona should be ashamed of his work and customer service.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Hevster1 was a pleasure to deal with. After weeks of not being able to nail down dates with several guys because of my new job, mike was able to work with me being the closest to my home. His work, prices and attitude are second to none. He even gave me a deep discount. I recommend mike if you are in the tristate area !

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Thoughts about starting a "TDIClub All Star" Mechanics List?

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Do it privately by PM only -- only to people that PM you, AND that you think should have the list. Nothing says that everybody is entitled to it, anyway.

You could take it one step further, invite a group of people on the site whose opinions you trust to contribute to it in confidence. Anonimise the results, and use as above. I'll bet lots of people that have been around here for a while have some Guru stories that they won't tell publicly.
I've thought about it, just not sure how, without pissing everyone off.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Possibly....I have a couple people that'll bit**. but they have been banned for being idiots. Most had some form of mental illness to boot.

Other than 2-3 people I can't say anything bad would happen. If a guru can't stand up on their own.....I have yet to botch someones car. Minior injury? sure but only ONE. And it was fixed no questions.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hi I'm looking for the state listing for:
Tom's Imports
Columbia, MO
The link below does not seem to work:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=659
Alternatively does anyone else know of a good TDI mechanic in Columbia or nearby. We are not happy with Walt's VW.
Start here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2425682&postcount=652

Then switch back to the full page and look at a few comments made after post 652.

Neither the address nor phone number is ever given, so you'll still have to do a local search.

spacecadet31

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If you're in the NJ area you should checkout Marty at

Martys VW & Audi Service
203 Center St
New Milford, NJ 07646
(201) 261-4244

I went last week and the service was great! I met with Marty, his son Andrew and another mechanic Tom. They all were great and very skilled. I'm a first time TDI owner and they all took the time to give me a few tid bits of information to keep my TDI running great. Great shop for anyone in the area. In business for over 30 years

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
If you're in the NJ area you should checkout Marty at

Martys VW & Audi Service
203 Center St
New Milford, NJ 07646
(201) 261-4244

I went last week and the service was great! I met with Marty, his son Andrew and another mechanic Tom. They all were great and very skilled. I'm a first time TDI owner and they all took the time to give me a few tid bits of information to keep my TDI running great. Great shop for anyone in the area. In business for over 30 years
Newbie, and this is his only post. Ahem...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
A month with one post. It's easy to register an account, let it sit for a while, and then post about how great a shop is.