Gas to Diesel

my d sel

TDI
1999 passat waggon gas car 2005 passat tdi 1995 golf tdi
hi guys i have a 1999 passat with a 1.8 motor i would love to put in a diesel do i need a passat only diesel or what do U GUYS THINK I AM new here thank U Moe

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
That sounds like a project, a big one too. In my opinion, financially it doesn't make sense. But if you really want to do it, and I'm not an expert when it comes to those cars, swapping one from another Passat would be easiest. I would imagine that engine mounts and what not fits right in. But I'd let other falks chime in with their opinions.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The 1999 B5 Passat was not available in North America as a TDI. In 2004, the B5.5 came along with a diesel option, but only with an automatic transmission. It would be a lot of work, but it has been done. You would have to source a transmission from Europe (www.dutchautoparts.com) and then pick an engine. The B5.5s came with the BHW PD, which had balance shaft module (oil pump) problems that pooched a lot of motors. An ALH motor from a MK IV Golf/Jetta/New Beetle would be a good choice as they are popular and parts are still available. It is also an engine that wakes up very nicely with even a Stage 1 or 2 tune. You might want to check out the "TDI Conversions" Forum.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
You can pick up 2004-2005 Passat diesels with blown auto transmissions for $1k to 2K. if you cheap out and use a transmission from a gas Passat (yours maybe), you can have what you want with less effort and possibly a lower cost.

Doing a complete conversion of your vehicle to diesel, would seem to be very time consuming, and not worth the effort.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
You can pick up 2004-2005 Passat diesels with blown auto transmissions for $1k to 2K. if you cheap out and use a transmission from a gas Passat (yours maybe), you can have what you want with less effort and possibly a lower cost.

Doing a complete conversion of your vehicle to diesel, would seem to be very time consuming, and not worth the effort.
I got a couple nice ones with bad transmissions. come and get em. 2k each.