Alternator output for instrument cluster?

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Transporter T5, 1999 Skoda Octavia I 1.9TDI
What exactly is the two wire cable from the alternator measuring?

My generator light was coming on and going off for awhile, and the past couple of months has been on solidly all the time.

Today I have the technical inspection for the car, so last night I was checking everything, and it is normal voltage for charging-- ranging from 14.0 - 14.4V, and did I mention that for at least a month that light has been on solid all the time, and we have to burn headlights during the day here, AC on, etc. so the battery would be long ago drained if there were an actual problem.

But now, I tried unplugging the connector, and the light turned off. Which seems to be the solution of the moment-- place a piece of plastic in the connector, put it back so inspector doesn't notice, leave 10€ "accidentally" in the car, and car should pass.

I guess whatever circuit in the voltage regulator generates the signal is bad? It is a replacement regulator from two years ago, but it kind of sucks to have to replace it again, when as far as I can tell, the actual charging bit is working fine.

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
CAUTION: Don't do what I described below. The alternator won't charge!

For reference, since the piece of rubber glove just got pierced, the pin the in D connector on the curved side is the one going to the check battery light, and thus is the one to remove in desperation.

Last edited:

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
That should be the exciter wire going to the cluster. I believe unplugging will cause the alternator to not charge the battery while driving the car

I would see what fault codes you car has. You just might have a bad cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I realized this after driving from the test to Michalovce. Car wouldn't start to go back, my FIL jumped me, and now I've got to repair that connection!