SDI TO TDI CONVERSION

johnbu19

TDI
POLO 2000 1.9 SDI GREEN
I HAVE A 2000 MODEL POLO 1900 SDI (DRIVE BY WIRE NOT CABLE OPARATED THROTTLE) AND I WAS WONDERING IF ENYBODY KNEW IF A TURBO COULD BE FITTED. WHAT WOULD I NEED TO CARRY OUT THE CONVERSION? AND HOW MUCH WOULD I EXPECT TO PAY?
I AM LOOKING TO INCREASE POWER TO ABOUT 110 BHP ANYBODY DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
My completely uninformed opinion: you'd need turbo, manifold, intercooler, all the pipes, maybe a new MAF, new ECU, probably some sensors, maybe injectors?. Not counting labor, that's probably a couple thousand Euro.

Maybe even a new injection pump.

We are mostly North American TDIers here, so we don't know much about the Polo/Lupo or any SDI models(they are not sold over here).

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
What IS "SDI"???

I thought all the VW Diesels were TDIs unless PDs now....
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The basic mechanicals of the engine all fit right into place, that is, the cylinder head, block, manifolds, mounting points, etc., are all interchangeable insofar as all the bolt holes line up. However, beyond the turbocharger, there may be differences in the injection pump and injectors, strengthening/reinforcements of key engine components and certainly different ECUs.

You will need to modify the exhaust, plumb an intercooler, and also adapt the N75 solenoid. If using a VNT turbo, you need to figure out a vacuum source to actuate the vanes. All are surmountable problems, but they're not trivial.

The least problematic swap would be to lift the whole SDI motor out of the car and drop in a TDI along with the ECU, etc. I assume you're from the UK; there are many well-qualified shops that can do the swap for you, but expect to spend a good deal of money for parts and labour, more than is probably worth it. That considered, consider looking for a Seat Leon or Skoda Fabia, which are both based on the Polo platform and available with 1.9L 4-cylinder TDIs. Or of you manage to find a wrecked TDI Leon or Fabia, you can scavenge all the parts to swap into your Polo.

Does you car have a 64 or 68HP SDI?

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Ahh.. thanks,'Meister..

which raises the question, if what is point if bereft of turbo? Or is that the point? I thought the VW Diesels were dogs without the boost...

Or is the Pollo light enough that this is not an issue...Is the Lupo also SDI?

Or are we talking about an entirely-different purpose for the car? Is the Lupo an econobox-putmobile, not intended for Bahn-burning?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the VW Diesels were dogs without the boost...

[/ QUOTE ]They are. The point of the SDI is to make the car cheaper.