Pricing advice on new 2016 Toureg TDI

Seppoboy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT, traded due to seat discomfort, hello BMW 328xd
OK, so the dealers in PA now seem to be well stocked with new 2016 Toureg TDIs with the emissions clearance to sell as new vehicles. I have found several Lux and Sport with Technology models with MSRPs of about $59k and $54.5k respectively on dealer lots.

Given that it won't be long until 2019 models are introduced by a number of manufacturers, and TDI is seen as damaged goods, what do Toureg people think the market value of these TDIs should really be?

I look at alternatives such as well equipped Jeep Grand Cherokees with off-the-lot transaction prices in the very low forties as market comps.

Unless there are some heavy warranty support programs I am not aware of, I was thinking $47k tops for Lux, $42k tops for Sport w/Tech as fair offer prices.

Your thoughts? Thanks, Seppo

Seppoboy

TDI
I just found the threads on the Dieselgate forum, sorry for the redundancy. That's what happens when you have been off the tdiclub forums for a long time!

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
Considering the wholesale value on 2015 tdi cars has plummeted over the last 6 months you may wanna wait a bit

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
cant compare a jeep to a touareg...not even close

The WK2 Grand Cherokee/Durango is the same platform as the W166 MB M/R/GL-class, and they compare pretty closely in many regards to the T'reg. The Chrysler branded ones do have some cheaper bits in some areas, especially some of the interior trim in the back, and probably have more Made in China parts in them, but I would not call them "crappy".

The VM 3.0L diesel does not seem quite as refined as the VAG 3.0L diesel, and certainly nowhere near as refined as the MB 3.0L diesel they did use, but it still gets the job done nicely.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The person we bought our 2014 Treg from had purchased a top of the line Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think it was an SRT8 if that is a trim level. Loaded. So clearly people do cross shop these vehicles.

In terms of warranty....yes you get a great big emissions warranty on a new Treg that is more or less a full powertrain warranty. I believe its 10 years/120k, but I'm not positive. Ours has 130k on it already so the extended warranty is 48mo/48k miles.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
cant compare a jeep to a touareg...not even close
I replaced my 2010 T'Reg with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco diesel and while the fit and finish may not be as refined as the T'Reg, it definitely has a nicer interior, leather dash, heated & cooled seats, better infotainment system, & GPS system than any VW I've seen to date.

2nd row of seating is also more spacious than the T'reg. Full size adults can fit in the back with no leg room issues.

While it also has air suspension, I no longer have the selection of dampening choices, but I'll suffer, lol.

Oh, I can go to about 10 different dealerships in a 20 mile radius if I ever need service...and get this...THEY STOCK PARTS!!! Or can get them within 48 hours :)

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I had a 2007 Grand Cherokee diesel with the Mercedes engine. With exception of the ergonomics and seating comfort it was not a bad vehicle. The engine was powerful especially once tuned. However it did not get great mileage due to the 5 speed trans.
I went with the T-Reg because I am a VW fan. But must admit I came close to buying the BMW X5 as it is a much nicer (outside) looking SUV.

As for the OP's question I think the Touareg TDI will hold its value as they are no longer available and there is a demand for them. They sell fast here in Canada and at premium prices on the used market. You would be lucky to get one new!

Last edited:

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
...I think the Touareg TDI will hold its value as they are no longer available and there is a demand for them. They sell fast here in Canada and at premium prices on the used market. You would be lucky to get one new!
Are TDI Touaregs still being produced for markets outside of North America?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
The WK2 Grand Cherokee/Durango is the same platform as the W166 MB M/R/GL-class, and they compare pretty closely in many regards to the T'reg. The Chrysler branded ones do have some cheaper bits in some areas, especially some of the interior trim in the back, and probably have more Made in China parts in them, but I would not call them "crappy".

The VM 3.0L diesel does not seem quite as refined as the VAG 3.0L diesel, and certainly nowhere near as refined as the MB 3.0L diesel they did use, but it still gets the job done nicely.
Had a 2017 limited for over a month while my 2012 touareg was being repaired from deer damage...spend a considerable time driving both and you wont feel its close to a touareg.

The jeep plastics are cheap

The seats be it comfortable after an hour or 2 were not...my legs would actually hurt and i had friends that felt the same way

The wind noise entering the cabin is unreal...i constantly thought a window kept creeping open

You hit slush, or a puddle and its SUPER easy to tell there is no sound deadening the sounds produced from it were super loud, reminded me alot of my buddies kia rio

The ride (steel sprung) was harsh to say the least...way harsher then even my 5 year older 190K on it touareg on 10 ply allterrians

It was a gas so cant compare that but fuel mpg on the v6 pentastar was horrid

The awd, it had low tread all seasons and it wasnt impressive...my touareg had similar tires when i got it and the touareg performed better...i will say the jeep has much better nannys for the brakes and traction then my 5 year older touareg...but i prefer it that way.

The heated seat control only in the nav screen on the jeep...stupid and a wee bit annoying

The jeep had 10,000 miles on it and the center arm rest was loose and floppy...the blower for the heat started squealing anything above 2 on the fan control.

The jeep i had also had this weird throttle sticking, if you floored it then release fast it would stay for a moment after...not a fan and considered it a bit unsafe....not sure if it was just an issue with my rental or what.

The handling is far more truck like, the touareg even on bfgs could out perform that jeep in corners any day....just not tuned as nice.

Wasnt impressed that it only had 2 door keyless entry...this is a easy way to cheap out but i love having all 4 on the touareg

I Found the window switches horribly cheap

I found it mind blowing that a 2017 jeep still had a foot park brake...coming from the switch it just was like really? 5 years still no electronic brake

I also didnt like the wipers being in constant view....i think thats another touareg thing that i just love...i love how you dont see the wipers when your on the road.

The traction control...there is no ability to turn it off below i would say like 30%...this is great for safety but if you wanna have fun the jeep aint having it...also an issue if you get stuck..which i did while i had it.

The proximity on the keyless entry was pretty bad...grabbing the door handle with the key in my pocket often yielded me having to pull the key out for it to find it....not so on the touareg.

i will say the stereo was good...headlights were nice..the remote start was cool....but not for one minute was i sad to give it back and go 5 years older and almost 9x the mileage.....The build quality, ride, and handling are not even close....im sure it comes off by nit picking but after 2 years in a touareg and 100k put on it i just have a hard time finding an equal....even my buddies fully loaded x5 doesnt do it for me.

I replaced my 2010 T'Reg with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco diesel and while the fit and finish may not be as refined as the T'Reg, it definitely has a nicer interior, leather dash, heated & cooled seats, better infotainment system, & GPS system than any VW I've seen to date.
2nd row of seating is also more spacious than the T'reg. Full size adults can fit in the back with no leg room issues.
While it also has air suspension, I no longer have the selection of dampening choices, but I'll suffer, lol.
Oh, I can go to about 10 different dealerships in a 20 mile radius if I ever need service...and get this...THEY STOCK PARTS!!! Or can get them within 48 hours :)
My touareg has plenty of leg room front or rear...my seat set at 6ft driving position still is tons of room for myself in the rear seat behind..not sure if the t2 was smaller or what but i dont see any space difference in the jeep.

There are plenty of things the jeep doesnt have that the touareg does

4 door keyless entry

full control over mpg measurement and speeds

full control over coming home and leaving lighting

way more door lighting..under door and mirrors

under seat lighting

i like the touareg dash and seats better...the leather in the dodge is soft but it also is ruined with a simple finger nail on the dash....having sat in a track hawk at the auto show...showed me how bad that dash will look if you touch it.

Yes the touareg nav is outdated ill give you that but i dont mind it...could be better but the rest of the t3 is so refined it just makes up for it.

I really havent had to order parts or have an issues with that...perhaps i need to own it longer, but in the 2 years and 100k ive put on it, its been flawless

Last edited:

regulator26

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
OK, so the dealers in PA now seem to be well stocked with new 2016 Toureg TDIs with the emissions clearance to sell as new vehicles. I have found several Lux and Sport with Technology models with MSRPs of about $59k and $54.5k respectively on dealer lots.
Given that it won't be long until 2019 models are introduced by a number of manufacturers, and TDI is seen as damaged goods, what do Toureg people think the market value of these TDIs should really be?
I look at alternatives such as well equipped Jeep Grand Cherokees with off-the-lot transaction prices in the very low forties as market comps.
Unless there are some heavy warranty support programs I am not aware of, I was thinking $47k tops for Lux, $42k tops for Sport w/Tech as fair offer prices.
Your thoughts? Thanks, Seppo
Yesterday purchased a 2016 Lux w/Driver Assistance pkg MSRP was $59,005 and purchase price was $44.754 before tax and tags. Also got the Partner Program $500 discount off the $44,754. Works out to a 25% discount. The car was at the port for two years and VAG is pushing these fixed cars to their dealers.

seancashmere

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
How did you talk them down that low. I can't get anyone to go below $49K on a Lux. At $44K I am pulling the trigger. At $49K, I am walking.

seancashmere

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Ok, I got them down to $45K, +$500 document fee. I will probably just pay to have it shipped to me, also. $1K more than you, not too bad and I got a color way I want.

I also got the driver assistance package, roof rails, rubber mats, first aid kit.

It'll be sad to turn in my '13 Sportwagen TDI in the buyback, but I upgrade to AWD, pano sunroof, higher ground clearance, etc. I'll throw some A/Ts on her and enjoy!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to push for $45k.

regulator26

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
How did you talk them down that low. I can't get anyone to go below $49K on a Lux. At $44K I am pulling the trigger. At $49K, I am walking.
Actually that was their 'No Hassle' price. Got the exact colors that the wife wanted. But I was looking all over the US for this car.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, I got them down to $45K, +$500 document fee. I will probably just pay to have it shipped to me, also. $1K more than you, not too bad and I got a color way I want.

I also got the driver assistance package, roof rails, rubber mats, first aid kit.

It'll be sad to turn in my '13 Sportwagen TDI in the buyback, but I upgrade to AWD, pano sunroof, higher ground clearance, etc. I'll throw some A/Ts on her and enjoy!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to push for $45k.
You wont miss the wagon....i traded from a 11 tdi jetta....its just so much better...lost a bit of mpg..but awd, bigger ats...more power...and clearance and i still easily break 30s on the highway

seancashmere

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
You are running A/Ts on your rig? What size rims do you have?

My Sportwagen, if I were keeping her, would get an RCD330 Plus with Android Auto. From what I gather, the Touareg's RNS810 is a $#!+show.

What does the Cayenne Trans Coding do to your tranny?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You are running A/Ts on your rig? What size rims do you have?
My Sportwagen, if I were keeping her, would get an RCD330 Plus with Android Auto. From what I gather, the Touareg's RNS810 is a $#!+show.
What does the Cayenne Trans Coding do to your tranny?
I have 18s running 31 bfg ko2s...the rns850 is great not sure whats wrong with it other then it doesnt have apple play or android auto but its a 2012....I have no issues with mine its decently quick and easy to use...love the hard drive and 2 sd card slots.

Changes transmission behavior, faster shifts, better downshifts...quicker and sportier

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
sean, where in FL did you find your TREG? I have a 2012 I want to put back to VW and replace with a 2016. thx

Seppoboy

TDI
Still chatting with the dealer, they haven't moved any units yet and are pricing 15% off, without any serious negotiations yet. Toureg is a thousand pounds heavier than anything I have owned so far, so I'm still noodling over whether to make an offer. It's a beast, not as nimble as I am used to, so we are talking it over at home. Seems like after a few weeks pass and none sold so far, they might adjust to market, we'll see.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Still chatting with the dealer, they haven't moved any units yet and are pricing 15% off, without any serious negotiations yet. Toureg is a thousand pounds heavier than anything I have owned so far, so I'm still noodling over whether to make an offer. It's a beast, not as nimble as I am used to, so we are talking it over at home. Seems like after a few weeks pass and none sold so far, they might adjust to market, we'll see.
I have seen reports of over 20% off on Audi TDI’s. The Treg is harder to find specced out the way folks want it, I think.

seancashmere

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Haven't lived in Florida since 2015. I am in WA and was buying from SanTan VW in Arizona. I was going to pay for shipping. Anyway, I cancelled my wire transfer. I went instead with a 2016 Audi Q5. This car only has 26 miles. The Touareg had 800+. It was also $3200 more. AND this car is closer to me so I don't need it shipped. I'm going to miss the cargo space, but I still get everything else...including a crappy MMI head unit.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Sean ,I assume the Q5 was a TDI. I will be looking for either a TREG 2016 TDI or the Q5. Glad you got what you wanted. SWFL is a pretty big TREG area,so i have high hopes.

seancashmere

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Ahhh, Naples! I lived in Cape Coral. Regardless, yes, I got a new Audi Q5 TDI at 22% off MSRP. I now have iver 600 miles on the ODO, and I don't love it. At all! Get a Touareg. Seriously.

Seppoboy

TDI
Well, I found a really nice 2016 Touareg Lux and gave it a good shot, but the dealer and I had very different price expectations. I believe they sold another unit pretty close to their MSRP -3k asking price, so they declined to go any lower than their adjusted window sticker, less than 10% discount. They still have each remaining unit, and I moved on, bought something else. I would have loved to have had the Touareg, but two model years old and all the uncertainties surrounding post-embargo TDIs require more price flexibility than they were willing to show.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Well, I found a really nice 2016 Touareg Lux and gave it a good shot, but the dealer and I had very different price expectations. I believe they sold another unit pretty close to their MSRP -3k asking price, so they declined to go any lower than their adjusted window sticker, less than 10% discount. They still have each remaining unit, and I moved on, bought something else. I would have loved to have had the Touareg, but two model years old and all the uncertainties surrounding post-embargo TDIs require more price flexibility than they were willing to show.

Weird thing is you can find a previously owned one very inexpensively, even with low miles. So the dealer inflexibility May bite them in the end.

klblake101

TDI
2019 Touareg TDI

All my research shows the vehicle will be manufactured in USA, but the vehicle will not be sold here. All will be exported. Bummer.

matt.rick2994

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Looking at a new 2016 TREG post fix. LUX model. List price is $46.5. How much should I expect to negotiate? Do the dealers think they are sitting in gold waiting for buyers to snatch these TDIs up?
It is in their over flow lot and when I asked if they had one. Just curious on anyone else's experience.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
They were basically offering 15-25% off MSRP plus 6 years free financing on the cars a year ago. So I wouldn't offer them more than 70% of MSRP. $32K or so....