2003 VW Jetta is trash in the snow?

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I just put a set of Nokian Nordman studded snows on my golf, and they are AMAZING in deep snow. Even better than the Hakkapeliitta's I've had in the past.
Even as we differentiate among "no season" tires and "winter tires", some winter tires are optimized for different conditions. The Nordmans are the way to go for deeper, uncompacted snow. In those circumstances they're better than even the Nokian Hakkapeliittas. On compacted snow and ice, though, Hakkas are the ones you want (if $$$ is no object).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Even as we differentiate among "no season" tires and "winter tires", some winter tires are optimized for different conditions. The Nordmans are the way to go for deeper, uncompacted snow. In those circumstances they're better than even the Nokian Hakkapeliittas. On compacted snow and ice, though, Hakkas are the ones you want (if $$$ is no object).
Well, to be fair, the last time I had Hakkas was about 10 years ago- they've undoubtedly improved since then(and they were excellent back then). My studded Nordmans would probably run circles around un- studded Hakkas on ice though. Studded Hakkas are probably the pinnacle of snow tire performance.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Nordmans are old hakkapeliita tires sold at a entry level price to get new customers into the brand