Intermittent wipers intermittently not working

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Recently, the intermittent wipers began not working ~50% of the time. Typically, they work normally at cold startup. But, after restarting a warm engine they often won't operate intermittently – heavy rain has no effect – but continuous wiping is normal. Adjusting the sensitivity doesn't fix the problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Are you the original purchaser or are you a buyback owner?

If the latter, I wonder if the previous owner may have tried activating rain sensing wipers... it was determined to be buggy and wildly inconsistent. Maybe that’s what you are seeing....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
windshield ever been replaced?

I'm guessing you've looked for codes? Is there an adaptation that can be done for that sensor?

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
This is a buyback vehicle (bought from dealer in July 2017). But my point was that the automatic intermittent wiper had been working flawlessly every time it rained – until about a month ago, when this "unwanted intermittance" began appearing. I will check the codes but it feels like a sensor or a switch issue.

Last edited:

sortlane1

TDI
15 Passat SEL
Is the sensor or windshield dirty? Wipers streaking? I know that can have a tendency to cause challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Is the sensor or windshield dirty? Wipers streaking? I know that can have a tendency to cause challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. I polished my windshield shortly after purchasing and mine work as expected.

Expected being wild- it could be misting and they're flailing around on high, but during a downpour come on every few seconds. There's no rhyme or reason to it.