hard starting ~ cranks forever when >60

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
So I’ve checked out the no starting sticky, but there is nothing on difficult starting that i can find.
Occasionally when overnights are cool, upon start up the engine fires, but quickly stalls (ignites for a millisecond). After that, the starter needs to crank for a solid 15 to 20 seconds before she starts.
It only happens on cool nights
Any help is much appreciated

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Idunno much about PD engines but it would help the people who do to help you if you'd give some more info like: New problem? Always been this way? Just got the car? Any recent work?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Glow plugs. Doing research you'll find it's quite confusing, but you want to get that sorted out.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Is the Check Engine light on and/or have you had it scanned for codes with a VW-specific scanner?

Always a good place to start when diagnosing an issue... systems like the glow plugs for example are well monitored by the ECU and if there's an issue with them there should be a code telling you where to look. :)

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just got the car, it was throwing a cel p0101, caused by worn out ears on turbo hose, changing the cold side turbo hose fixed it. no cel now as it just passed emissions here in ct) no idea if cam has been done, or the last timing belt service, but since it has 409k on the clock, i would assume it has had major service performed,

Not sure how to check lift pump- how do i go about checking?

Glow plugs- i thought they only worked with cold weather, lately its been sweltering here, 90 plus degrees

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
FYI - glow plugs usually come on for a bit until the piston chamber comes up to full temp, to ensure full burn / keep emissions down. In such hot weather, it's usually not very long :)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Glow plugs run year-round, as posted above... but that said, they aren't needed as a starting assist until freezing or below.. so unlikely to be the cause of any starting issues except in the winter months.

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Could it be a sticky anti shudder valve? After shutting the car off, i hear a electrical winding sound for about 10 seconds,

Also, how would i check the lift pump? What is the lift pump?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Lift pump's in the tank. Check it by turning on key but don't start it. Should hear it run for a few seconds.

This verifies it's running. Still could be plugged.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There's an assumption the OP has a PD engine. The 04 has the BEW PD engine. A link to an ALH having starting issues is not going to be helpful.

OP, there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the BEW engines relating to hard starts due to grounding for the Crankshaft Speed Sensor as well as a Glow Plug recall issue.

The link below has some good info on both topics.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=328868&highlight=pd+start+fix

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
There's an assumption the OP has a PD engine. The 04 has the BEW PD engine. A link to an ALH having starting issues is not going to be helpful.

OP, there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the BEW engines relating to hard starts due to grounding for the Crankshaft Speed Sensor as well as a Glow Plug recall issue.

The link below has some good info on both topics.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=328868&highlight=pd+start+fix
My apologies.

I believed the thread I attached to be about the pd engine. The op of the thread had a 2001 pd115 and DanG specifically references the bew engine code and the op's engine of this current thread is a bew.

Regardless, the crankshaft position sensor would be a thing to check on.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
PD Rig ......... my apologies! You are correct ...

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hey all
Hoping that revisit this with all of you.
New timing belt is in and the car runs great, but does not like starting in the morning.

Here are some knowns:

Timing torsion value is +2.0
There are no cels
Lift pump is fairly new and I can hear it kick on from under rear seat
Anti shudder valve works properly, closes and opens no problem

Any suggestions? The no starting condition is more often now with new timing belt,

I assume a glow plug problem would trigger trouble light? Is that correct? That’s about the only thing I have not investigated

Please help, winter is coming!

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
How much pressure do you get on the tandem pump?

If it was glow plugs you would get white smoke coming from the exhaust.

Put clear fuel lines to check the return. That should be #1 mod for all TDIs, specially PDs that often mix fuel with oil on tandem pump and injector seals.

https://image.ibb.co/fqHWJ0/P-20181015-152538.jpg

Last edited:

miltoncf

Spammer
TDI
ALH jetta wagon
I assume a glow plug problem would trigger trouble light? Is that correct? That’s about the only thing I have not investigated
Yes. In my case at 55F overnight the MIL did not come on while the glow plugs are warming up - at which time the glow plug light is on for a second. Cranking the engine was variable for a couple seconds as if "not firing on all cylinders." Afterwards, the MIL is triggered while the engine runs smoothly. Taking it to Autozone for an odp2 hookup returns a generic glow plug fault.

Which makes me wonder: why doesn't the glow plug light return instead (never mind blink when the tail lights go out)? - AND -
why are posters suggesting that you might have a glow plug fault when neither light is on after starting?

Last edited:

miltoncf

Spammer
TDI
ALH jetta wagon
This morning the glow plug light did not turn on, implying that none of them warmed up during initialisation. Cranking the engine didn't result in "not firing on all cylinders." So does the computer reprogram itself not to warm any of the glow plugs if a bad one was detected?

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yes

Regarding clear fuel lines, is it ok to use steel braided vinyl? I have some left over from a plumbing job,, but I don’t think it’s rated for fuel

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ok, so still having really tough starts in the morning, i changed the fuel lines to clear as suggested by k_PT.

This morning i noticed quite a bit of air in the return line- i’d say the line is about 80% air 20% fuel

is that normal??

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Ok, so still having really tough starts in the morning, i changed the fuel lines to clear as suggested by k_PT.

This morning i noticed quite a bit of air in the return line- i’d say the line is about 80% air 20% fuel

is that normal??
No. You should get less than 10% air, and just only visible in the first second.

It seems that injectors are injecting just air, and unfortunately they doesn't run with air only.

Tandem pump has a check valve, that prevents fuel from going back to the tank.

You can insert a check valve on the return line or do this test:

"Tandem Pump Wear Test
Restore the fuel filter lines to normal. Now pull off the line marked #3, the return line from the fuel rail going to the thermo-tee filter, and place it in a container. Plug the port on the thermotee. Apply power to the lift pump. You should get no flow or almost no flow, say 25 ml per minute or less. Any more flow and you have an additional flow path due to wear on your tandem pump, or failure of the supply fuel pressure limiter. This flow path can allow the fuel system to drain back to the fuel tank when the engine is off, creating long cranking periods and rough starts. It will also result in reduced pressure at engine operating conditions. Once you start having issues, then the tandem pump will wear faster\as it is cranking with less than optimum lubrication (it has little fuel and much air). If you have the pressure gauge attached to the fuel supply rail port, it should read zero pressure. "

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/PD_fuel_delivery_check.pdf

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
So if a check valve installed in return line fixes the issue, Can i get away without replacing the pump?

Any problems just leaving an inline check valve?

(Car runs like a champ once its started, it just the cold starts that are my issue)

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yeah so i was just wondering if leaving a check valve on return fuel line is a viable option to replacing the expensive tandem pump?