www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 2nd, 2018, 13:15   #61
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Our Alltrack DSG seems so lethargic and slow in comparison.
I don't believe your Alltrack has a DSG. Asian conventional 6-speed automatic, I'm pretty sure.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 05:11   #62
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
numbers are one thing what the DMF can handle without showing shudder is another. DSG tune won't remove shudder.

The peak torque band it so tight around 1800 RPM you'll never really get those peak numbers with out shudder, heince why they have an stage 1+ and 1.
Agreed, the (engine side of a) tune should work around the parameters set by the remaining "drivetrain" capabilities.
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2018, 05:59   #63
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I don't believe your Alltrack has a DSG. Asian conventional 6-speed automatic, I'm pretty sure.
ohhh common Peter? you think I don't know a DSG vs a torque converter Aisin slush box?

In North America, all 4mo GSW be it a an Alltrack or regular GSW are DSG if it's an auto, they took the R platform and just tossed a longer prop shaft, slightly different fuel tank and bam!

Also I'm not sure if the aisin transmission VW uses has the knock out plate to accept the Haldex front diff.

it's the non 4Mo GSW that gets the Aisin transmission.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2018, 07:45   #64
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Learn something every day. Since I don't like gasoline or AWD, I've not paid much attention to the Alltrack.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 10:40   #65
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Learn something every day. Since I don't like gasoline or AWD, I've not paid much attention to the Alltrack.
My hands were forced to learn about gassers when the wife wanted AWD I couldn't stomach BMW diesel prices or an Outback. She has the longer commute and uses the AWD in bad weather, so I couldn't really put up a fight.

Eitherway, DSG fluid changes just doubled in this household, be on the look out for a nice order in about a year and a half. So far miles are tracking about the same on both cars.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 19:40   #66
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambld View Post
Loco, any further updates? I too have a '15 Passat TDI/DSG and I am interested in a tune w/DSG tune. Looking at Malone (used Malone in the past) and Kerma. Kerma's got some pretty impressive numbers....almost unbelievable though....? Not sure how solid those numbers really are or how thorough the DSG tune would be.
So I finally got back in my car and put about 150 miles on it in the last few days. Iím honestly about 180 from where I was in my first post. The original tune was a joke for a day or two but then woke up and was a monster. A beta tune I was given was a disaster and had so much dmf shudder I was ready to give up. Then Charlie did a long weekend of testing and tuning and the final custom map he sent me is close to perfection. Itís not as aggressive as the first tune, and I canít say the numbers will match what is on their site, but I really donít care. My car is so much more driveable now and just feels great. The tip in power is so smooth. Unlike the stock tune, where the skinny pedal seemed completely disconnected, and you would push it and push it and then it would finally downshift and wake up, it is now much more responsive and rewarding. I have no desire for a DSG tune because, itís a diesel, and I donít want the revs to always be higher. Below 2k you really donít even know itís tuned, except for the lack of lethargy youíre used to, and the fact that the throttle response now seems like it actually does something below 50%, but when needed or wanted, it pulls plenty hard. Steady and solid 26psi of boost with no creep and if you try hard enough (I did) you will see 1600egt. The first tune would hit 28psi and 1600egt much quicker, but honestly, didnít feel any faster.

Happy, impressed, content. Not sure what else to say. If I ďreallyĒ try, I can get it to shudder, and maybe even flare a little, but not without purposely doing so. If I had anything else to ask for of course it would be more raw power, but I honestly feel we are at the limits of stock components. Letís just say it now has enough ass to make the car torque steer.

Do I recommend this tune for the Passat? Absolutely.
Am I against Malone or anyone else? Absolutely not.
I had two deciding factors in my purchase (Well, maybe 56 deciding factors, but Iíll list 2). 1 was choosing the road less traveled/ the underdog if you will as Malone seems much more popular (and my son has Malone on his BEW so Iím by no means a hater), and 2, the tune price included the flash loader.

Yes, I tend to get long winded with posts, but hey, nobody forced you to read it this far. Happy get drunk and blow **** up day, AKA Independence Day for us Mericans. Happy to answer any other questions.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:09   #67
rustycat
Veteran Member

Loco,
I've been avidly following your posts and progress. Sounds like the end results are fantastic. I wonder if you broached the subject of warranty disallowment by VOA triggered by this tune? That is my main concern with doing anything that might trigger a voiding of the amazing 11 year warranty.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2018, 11:28   #68
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycat View Post
Loco,
I've been avidly following your posts and progress. Sounds like the end results are fantastic. I wonder if you broached the subject of warranty disallowment by VOA triggered by this tune? That is my main concern with doing anything that might trigger a voiding of the amazing 11 year warranty.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488921

I have and I guess the bottom line is, use at your own risk.
Old July 4th, 2018, 17:05   #69
Got diesel
Veteran Member

Loco,
I get Shudder big time if I step on it at low RPM with Stage 1 and 1+ and I have a manual on my 2015 SE Passat ... No answer or response from Charlie, Yes I know he is busy yet ...So am I , we all have a life and work yet after 2 weeks of no response. You tell me. I call it being ignored.
Old July 4th, 2018, 19:43   #70
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got diesel View Post
Loco,
I get Shudder big time if I step on it at low RPM with Stage 1 and 1+ and I have a manual on my 2015 SE Passat ... No answer or response from Charlie, Yes I know he is busy yet ...So am I , we all have a life and work yet after 2 weeks of no response. You tell me. I call it being ignored.
I wish I could answer for you. I had noticible shudder with stage 1 originally and horrible shudder with the ďbetaĒ software he sent me. They honestly seemed hit or miss with email responses, but Iím persistent, without being too much of a jerk, and my issues were eventually resolved. They obviously arenít a fly by night operation, but if email isnít working, I would pick up the phone and give them a call. To me, being a customer means you walk a fine line between demanding and asking for results. I donít know your situation, or relationship with them, but personally, I gave daily updates and feedback on what was going on with my car. In the end I have no idea what he did to fix it, or if Iím even close to the dyno graph he posted, but Iím happy and I guess thatís all that matters.

For conversation and comparison, with the original and worse with the ďbetaĒ, if I even gave 50% throttle around 1800rpm it would feel like the trans was about to jump out of the car. The funny part is, whatever he did doesnít ďfeelĒ like any less power at 1800, but the shudder is gone. Like I said before, if I really try, I can ďmaybeĒ get the slightest shake, and can for sure get a 100 to 200rpm flare, but itís worlds different from before, and Iím back to just driving it instead of staring at gauges and feeling for things. I hope he sorts yours out as well. Good luck.
Old July 5th, 2018, 06:05   #71
740GLE
Veteran Member

its almost a shame you haven't put more miles on the tune. So far were averaging 3-400 miles a week in our tune. I always smile when I'm lucky enough to drive it, the wife complains I drive too fast.
Old July 5th, 2018, 06:09   #72
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
its almost a shame you haven't put more miles on the tune. So far were averaging 3-400 miles a week in our tune. I always smile when I'm lucky enough to drive it, the wife complains I drive too fast.
Funny thing is how it keeps getting better. Felt smoother and better this morning than it ever has yet. Now that my kids are pretty much grown I travel a lot more for work so when I travel, my car sits at work and I drive a mercury mariner, lol. Sure feels nice to get back in the Passat after itís sat for a few weeks though. Makes me appreciate how nice of a car it is. On non travel weeks I will drive it about 500 miles a week.
Old July 6th, 2018, 10:48   #73
Radek

Have anybody done an intake, straight exhaust with deletes and tune ? I'm thinking of going this route and am not sure if intake is needed as i hear oem air box is quite good
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 11:02   #74
Got diesel
Veteran Member

Radek, Save your Cash..Buy a Tune for the car. Leave it alone until the warranty is up. Intake on this car is a waist of $$$. The stock box does a good job and some. Also don't buy a K&N as well, its another waist of $$$ on this car. Keep in mind depending were you live, emissions testing could come into play as well if you delete every thing. If the tuners can just dial back (ahem cheat mode on full advance) then all would be just dandy. Just my thoughts yet what would i know.
Old July 6th, 2018, 12:13   #75
Radek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got diesel View Post
Radek, Save your Cash..Buy a Tune for the car. Leave it alone until the warranty is up. Intake on this car is a waist of $$$. The stock box does a good job and some. Also don't buy a K&N as well, its another waist of $$$ on this car. Keep in mind depending were you live, emissions testing could come into play as well if you delete every thing. If the tuners can just dial back (ahem cheat mode on full advance) then all would be just dandy. Just my thoughts yet what would i know.

I'm in Chicagoland and no emission testing for diesels, can pass on intake/k&n but nice whoosh sound through the exhaust is tempting

Btw, have a 15 Passat SEL DSG with only 21k on the clock but after phase 2 update i can't drive it , it's so much slower now

Last edited by Radek; July 6th, 2018 at 12:16.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote