www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 21st, 2018, 15:55   #16
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

The MFI may take some time to calibrate. Fill and calculation my give you better data.
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:04   #17
scrambld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post
Power wise, I honestly think I was expecting more. Iíve had plenty of tuned diesels and was expecting a night and day difference but that didnít happen. Pulls nice and smooth and you can definitely feel the increase, but it just doesnít feel like 50/100 to me.
Oh, that would certainly concern me. I went down that route with my '06 BRM after a PD140, 3bar map, and several different tunes. None of which outperformed my stock turbo and Stg 2 Malone (VR6 clutch).....
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:13   #18
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
The MFI may take some time to calibrate. Fill and calculation my give you better data.
Spoke to them and was told itís a known bug, which sucks because I watch the MPG gauge daily and find it much more entertaining than the boring road.
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 18:35   #19
Owain@malonetuning

MFI is something in the software and can be adjusted, both in the tune and by up to 15% with vcds.

If you've got a handheld you could always dyno it before/after, best to log boost egt and injection quantity/rail pressure, if it cuts power ~8-10 seconds in that's probably egts. Usually see 132-135/230-235 stock and around 170/300 tuned on the ea189 and 288, we have two dynapacks so have had a few walk ins too with other files. Stock turbo/exhaust can only do so much.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 18:48   #20
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
MFI is something in the software and can be adjusted, both in the tune and by up to 15% with vcds.

If you've got a handheld you could always dyno it before/after, best to log boost egt and injection quantity/rail pressure, if it cuts power ~8-10 seconds in that's probably egts. Usually see 132-135/230-235 stock and around 170/300 tuned on the ea189 and 288, we have two dynapacks so have had a few walk ins too with other files. Stock turbo/exhaust can only do so much.
Not sure where the limits are set, but I saw 1600 EGT and 28.5 boost although my boost at idle is uncorrected and shows about -.8 so around 28 is a safe guess. I honestly think I expected too much out of a 2 liter engine and got too used to tunes on 6.0 and 7.3 liter fords. The drivability is so much better now that overall, Iím pretty happy. Would love to see the MPG calculations fixed though.
Old May 21st, 2018, 19:01   #21
Owain@malonetuning

VW definitely left a lot on the table while making some attempt to keep emissions down. EGT limit should be about 1600 (930C), that's the max you can set in the ECU unless the values are offset or the EGT probe is relocated. Power should reduce when you hit those EGT figures, so that would make it feel slower. Boost sounds a little high, best to data log it with VCDS. You can put your ECU part # into our log viewer to see logs from comparable cars as well.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 19:14   #22
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Spoke to them and was told itís a known bug, which sucks because I watch the MPG gauge daily and find it much more entertaining than the boring road.
What's the known bug? My MFI was unaffected by the tune. Equally optimistic before and after. I adjusted it with VCDS and now it reads about 1 MPG low.
Old May 21st, 2018, 19:23   #23
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

No clue what the known bug is other than I was told they know about it and are working on it.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:29   #24
ArtK65

I have the same tune. The MFI is way optimistic with the MPG's. I have it adjusted the full 15% using OBD11, and it's still about 4mpg's off. Other than that, it's a great tune.
ArtK65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 04:18   #25
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtK65 View Post
I have the same tune. The MFI is way optimistic with the MPG's. I have it adjusted the full 15% using OBD11, and it's still about 4mpg's off. Other than that, it's a great tune.
I could deal with 4 off. I might have to dig into VCDS and figure out where to adjust it.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:16   #26
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Is there a way that I can monitor for them using any of the data on my P3 gauge? I've searched and can't find a clear answer.

you gotta monitor one of the 3 EGT probs, the one that doesn't change dramatically with throttle input, the one that is laggy is the one that i think is post DPF and will peg around 1100 during regen even though the others will vary slightly with throttle input.

What EGTs can the P3 gauge read?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:26   #27
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Spoke to them and was told it’s a known bug, which sucks because I watch the MPG gauge daily and find it much more entertaining than the boring road.

You can still monitor the MFI just know there's some math you'll need to do. 65mpg is the new 50mpg. I was all excited after doing long highway runs and saw 50-52 on the MFI, but hand calculated just over 46.

Where I notice the best use of the tune is when the DSG is in manual mode. In either S or D, the car still wants to down shift and then runs out of wind trying to shift from at 5K down to 4K. Once in manual mode, I try and shift at 4K and keep it above 3K and notice the best "pulling" feel without wheezing it out. Typically I don't do WOT pulls, I'm more looking for a quick scoot and pull either passing someone, or just goose it around a corner.

Biggest thing that's against the 2015's as far as performance is the gearing of the DSG, it's crazy tall and pretty wide in the first 3 gears, so that explains why it wants to grab new gears.

One thing I've yet to try is changing the throttle response to "direct" (same mod on Mk7 Alltrack did wonders) I'm not sure if this is an option for the 2015 Passat as it's a hybrid of mk5 and mk7 stuff.

Last edited by 740GLE; May 22nd, 2018 at 06:34.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:35   #28
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
You can still monitor the MFI just know there's some math you'll need to do. 65mpg is the new 50mpg.
Where I notice the best use of the tune is when the DSG is in manual mode. In either S or D, the car still wants to down shift and then runs out of wind trying to shift from at 5K down to 4K. Once in manual mode, I try and shift at 4K and keep it above 3K and notice the best "pulling" feel without wheezing it out. Typically I don't do WOT pulls, I'm more looking for a quick scoot and pull either passing someone, or just goose it around a corner.
Biggest thing that's against the 2015's as far as performance is the gearing of the DSG, it's crazy tall and pretty wide in the first 3 gears, so that explains why it wants to grab new gears.
One thing I've yet to try is changing the throttle response to "direct" (same mod on Mk7 Alltrack did wonders) I'm not sure if this is an option for the 2015 Passat as it's a hybrid of mk5 and mk7 stuff.
Good post and I think I agree nearly 100%. My disappointments on the first drive were the lack of pull down low. Really seems to come to life around 2500. And is much more enjoyable in manual mode. Itís too bad the 1-2 shift in manual is so terrible. I usually leave it in aut until 3rd and then switch to manual. I have the paddle shifters so it makes it even nicer.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:08   #29
740GLE
Veteran Member

Odd, my Malone will pull pretty darn hard at 1,800 if I hold it manual mode, that is peak torque. Again I have to be in manual mode to avoid a downshift.

I did have to get a modified stg2 tune as I had DMF shudder with the stock stg 2 tune, I notice maybe a little less pull at 1800-2100 but not enough to cry foul.

Maybe Kerma is being conservative under 2,500rpm to avoid the DMF shudder all together. But why have a diesel if you can't have great pull from down low?

jealous of the paddle shiffters, I enjoy them on our Alltrack but know the wife would never use them in her Passat to make it worth the money to install them.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:33   #30
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Odd, my Malone will pull pretty darn hard at 1,800 if I hold it manual mode, that is peak torque. Again I have to be in manual mode to avoid a downshift.

I did have to get a modified stg2 tune as I had DMF shudder with the stock stg 2 tune, I notice maybe a little less pull at 1800-2100 but not enough to cry foul.

Maybe Kerma is being conservative under 2,500rpm to avoid the DMF shudder all together. But why have a diesel if you can't have great pull from down low?

jealous of the paddle shiffters, I enjoy them on our Alltrack but know the wife would never use them in her Passat to make it worth the money to install them.
I guess where it really ďpullsĒ from is quite subjective. I would agree it pulls decent at 1800 but feels like it really kicks at 2500 and above. Remember though, Iíve only driven it twice so far.