www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 20th, 2018, 18:52   #1
jhuber

Default Rattle at low RPM in 2015 Passat TDI SEL

Hello!

I recently purchased a 2015 Passat SEL TDI that has had the emissions fix applied. When the engine is running at low RPM and lugging (like driving up the driveway or driving up a hill at low speed and RPM), there is a rattle coming from the what seem to be inside the middle of the dash, kind of like a loose piece of trim, but it could also be coming from the engine compartment.

The problem is that I can't reproduce the problem when the car is idling and stationary, so it is tough to diagnose. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this, and what the problem might be.

Thanks!
jhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 13:32   #2
joshuafail

Probably a loose or ill-fitting trim piece.
Low RPM lugging causes a minor rattle in mine too, but only at very low revs, 1.1k - 1.3k RPM. Could be a wire in the dash, plastic trim, any number of things.
I wouldn't worry about it, and just downshift to a lower gear if it's bothersome.
joshuafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 06:23   #3
roni024
Veteran Member

Time to put that warranty to use!
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 18:11   #4
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Me too. I thought I fixed it when I padded the engine cover but no dice. The rattle occurs periodically at idle on warm engine. Increasing rpm's will stop it but of course I don't want to sit there and finesse the pedal.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=486732
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:28   #5
Zoso

My 2015 TDI SEL had rattles coming from the dash trim that spans the width of the car and says "Fender" on it. It took a few trips to the dealer (when it was new) to sort that out.
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:14   #6
Funguy
Veteran Member

I am not going to call my rattle solved yet BUT:
The hose that comes out under the airbox and goes around and behind the engine ends in an open ended aluminum tube. In my car that tube was very close to other metal components. I carefully forced that tube away from those components about a week ago and I have not had the annoying rattle sound since.

Since the noise has been intermittent on my car I am NOT certain I have solved my "center of the dash rattle" but crossed fingers hoping. I will update this post if the rattle comes back.
Old June 4th, 2018, 18:28   #7
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
I am not going to call my rattle solved yet BUT:
The hose that comes out under the airbox and goes around and behind the engine ends in an open ended aluminum tube. In my car that tube was very close to other metal components. I carefully forced that tube away from those components about a week ago and I have not had the annoying rattle sound since.
Since the noise has been intermittent on my car I am NOT certain I have solved my "center of the dash rattle" but crossed fingers hoping. I will update this post if the rattle comes back.
Fail. Started to rattle again.
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:56   #8
740GLE
Veteran Member

Best of luck, I'd honestly avoid the dealer as much as it stinks, they will be just a clueless as you are and may do more damage than good. Is it possible to have someone outside the car to try and pin point where the noise is as you climb a hill?

I imagine this is in first at about 1200 RPMS? gearing of first on the 2015 is sooo tall compared to other DSG gens.
740GLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 06:05   #9
Funguy
Veteran Member

Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat. The dang rattle is sporadic and has only done it only once at home. Seems to happen most often when the engine is hot in stop n go traffic. I have to agree I won't go near the dealer on this. Pretty sure they will break three things trying to find the problem. I can induce a minor rattle by forcing the rpms down with with the clutch and brake. It is not the same sound though exactly.

Sooner or later I am going to have to give up or get aggressive on this. I can live with it if I have to.
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:48   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2015 Passat SEL TDI that has had the emissions fix applied. When the engine is running at low RPM and lugging (like driving up the driveway or driving up a hill at low speed and RPM), there is a rattle coming from the what seem to be inside the middle of the dash, kind of like a loose piece of trim, but it could also be coming from the engine compartment.

The problem is that I can't reproduce the problem when the car is idling and stationary, so it is tough to diagnose. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this, and what the problem might be.

Thanks!

You are not saying whether your car is manual or DSG.
Maybe what you are getting is what I am getting, but it is not a "rattle".
I have the DSG tranny and if I'm just chugging along at about 40 Mph and the car is in 6th gear it causes a different sound from when running at higher speeds or accelerating, it's more like a low rumbling sound but NOT a rattle.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 09:08   #11
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
You are not saying whether your car is manual or DSG.
Since the OP has a SEL per what is listed below their screen name it has to be a DSG as no manuals were offered in the SEL. To get a manual transmission in a NMS Passat one has to get the SE version.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 09:25   #12
roni024
Veteran Member

Uhhh... guys? This was two posts above:

Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat.
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:04   #13
740GLE
Veteran Member

My solution would be to keep the RPMs up a little, I know that's hard when creeping at first gear, but keep in mind a DSG it is probably slipping the clutch until 5-7mph anyways.
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:40   #14
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni024 View Post
Uhhh... guys? This was two posts above:

Thanks. This is my manual trans Passat.
My comment regarding NMS Passat SEL's only came with the DSG was directed at the OP* who is jhuber who has not posted in this thread since.

Then a couple of you jumped in with your own TDI's which are identified as having a manual transmission by the screen name or in a later post which I am crystal clear on. So I was not talking about your TDI since you are not the OP of this thread. Hope that clears it up for you...

*OP = Original Poster (as in the person who started the thread)
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 06:23   #15
740GLE
Veteran Member

I blame funguy for not being so fun and thread jacking