Mk4 trim levels?

Robxssat

TDI
2000 Jetta
I just purchased my first Jetta and it’s my first TDI engine. I have 2 1.8t passats one is gl and one is gls. My Jetta is a 2000 with auto trans, tan leather, heated seats, moon roof and alloy wheels. What trim level would this be? GLS? GLX?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
TDIs were only available in GL and GLS trim. If your 2000 Jetta has leather & power windows, it's a GLS.

And sunroof ^^

Only Vr6 Jetta’s 2000-2001 I believe came glx , which added automatic climate control, duel front power seats with driver being memory, rear deck lid sunshade, passenger-side reverse tilt mirror, and Multifunction display Half height cluster.

Bajan

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
GL, GLS was it with a TDI engine.

You could get an automatic in either.

Cold Weather Package was an option (heated seats, heated washer nozzles).

Leather was an option on GLS only, which included Cold Weather.

Sunroof was an option, but not sure if it was a GLS only option on the A4s or not, I cannot remember. Most Jetta GLS cars have a sunroof though. I cannot say I have ever seen a GLS+ leather Jetta withOUT a sunroof. I am also not sure if they paired the wheels and sunroof together as the Luxury package... but pretty sure they did.

GLX Jetta was a VR6 model (although you could get a VR6 in a GLS trim as well). I actually had a customer that had a VR6 GLS without Lux (so steel wheels, no sunroof), and an automatic. Talk about the worst Jetta you could possibly buy. :(

The 1.8t engine was available in GLS trim only. Most GL trim Jettas were the standard 2.slo engine.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
... I actually had a customer that had a VR6 GLS without Lux (so steel wheels, no sunroof), and an automatic. Talk about the worst Jetta you could possibly buy. :(
One of my friends had one too. It was a 2000 IIRC.

I also think you could option a sunroof on a GL crank window car. I can't say I've seen one though.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah I have seen a few A3 GL+ sunroof cars, but cannot recall ever seeing an A4 that way. But hey, I have a 2004 Passat GLS 4mo wagon with cloth seats, so.... :p

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Hey dating back as early as mk2’s, some base 4 door golfs / jettas had power windows on front doors,and crank ones on rear doors .
German automakers does some shaking your head stuff, it’s certainly not vw Specific.

Bajan

oilhammer

TDI
Hey dating back as early as mk2’s, some base 4 door golfs / jettas had power windows on front doors,and crank ones on rear doors .
German automakers does some shaking your head stuff, it’s certainly not vw Specific.

Bajan

Only cars I have ever seen like that were ChryCo products (Neons, Spirits) and some crew cab F-trucks. I can count on one hand how many A2s I have seen with power windows. And that same number is also how many A2s I have seen with broken power windows. B cars were pretty common with them B2 onwards. Those were all broken, too.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
heres one for you guys then. my tdi is a GLS, cloth seats, and no sunroof. and although i have seen ONE tdi with manual windows, an oddball to say the least, i think i may have one of the base GLS models. soon to be a nice high level GLS once my swap is done.

as for power windows in older stuff, my 91 cabriolet has power front and manual rear windows. i always thought that was stupid. kinda like Chrysler and the Neon.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
heres one for you guys then. my tdi is a GLS, cloth seats, and no sunroof. and although i have seen ONE tdi with manual windows, an oddball to say the least, i think i may have one of the base GLS models. soon to be a nice high level GLS once my swap is done.

as for power windows in older stuff, my 91 cabriolet has power front and manual rear windows. i always thought that was stupid. kinda like Chrysler and the Neon.

Early crossover years are not uncommon for oddball stuff as you put it.
1) How do you know you’re 99.5 is a gls model ?
2) rabbit cabriolet doesn’t count for 2 reasons, 1 it has 2 doors so power front windows were no big deal especially in a 91 model year, 2 we’re referring to 4 door cars with just front power windows.

Actually I got one that’s different but didn’t think so back then.
I had a 1992 gli 16v manual windows, sunroof, power locks ,power front Recaro seats, abs brakes.

Bajan

Last edited:

Robxssat

TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks for the information. I’m learning about the Jetta chassis and the diesel at the same time. I have 2 1.8t passats. “Much better chassis” imo lol

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
Early crossover years are not uncommon for oddball stuff as you put it.
1) How do you know you’re 99.5 is a gls model ?
2) rabbit cabriolet doesn’t count for 2 reasons, 1 it has 2 doors so power front windows were no big deal especially in a 91 model year, 2 we’re referring to 4 door cars with just front power windows.

Actually I got one that’s different but didn’t think so back then.
I had a 1992 gli 16v manual windows, sunroof, power locks ,power front Recaro seats, abs brakes.

Bajan
it is a GLS according to VW. i ran the vin through them and got the build options for it.

i realise its a 2 dr for the cab but it still has manual rear windows. most cars i have seen are either fixed rear on 2drs or manual all the way around. or power all the way around. hence why i said it.

my 90 gli had the same options your 92 had. most i have seen are setup that way. i think it was to keep weight down.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
JSW refers to Jetta Station Wagon
As mentioned above - it's sport wagon. I believe it was not used until 09 but I see many people incorrectly refer to MKIV wagons as JSWs. Technically, I believe they are all Golf Variants :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
'02-06 ('06 in Canada only) Jetta Wagons are just that, Jetta Wagons. No "S". '09-14 are Jetta Sportwagens.

And my '02 Wagon is a GL with manual mirrors, crank windows and no sunroof. Don't think I've seen another wagon with crank windows.

oilhammer

TDI
Peter, your wagon is one of three that I have seen with manual windows, with the other two being 2.0L cars.

Pretty narrow window anyway, as power windows became standard in 2003, didn't they?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes. '02 was the last year of crank windows for any VW in North America. I almost didn't buy the car because of them. At that time I didn't know what a benefit they were!