clock spring repair

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I was taking my steering wheel out and pull the clock spring ribbon out. I rewind it bit now my steering is not working properly and the triangle light is on in the dash. Is there anything I can do yo repair it?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yes. If you can't rewind the clock spring so it works, replace it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
There is a write up in tdi 101 about clocksprings. Mysteries unwound or something like that.

Clocksprings are pretty fussy, the triangle is probably a steering angle sensor code, but you would need a vcds to read and reset the sensor. The sensor is part of the clock spring, there is a little window in the upper right corner of the clockspring, the little yellow indicator needs to be in the window on installation.

I’m assuming your Jetta has ESP?

Just to be clear no air bag light......yet, right?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I see you have at least a couple of other posts with other information about what you’ve done to your car and what it’s doing, starts and dies, replaced heater core, etc..

Maybe it would be a good idea to put all the info in one thread so we can read it and have all that information in one read. Instead of trying to piece together what your car is doing from several different threads.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
Thank you all for the help. Regarding the esp button it does not change when I press it on dash.
To be clear I did rewind the clock spring but now my steering is making noise jerky and heavy.
So I will need replace the clock spring correct? I will do that and post back.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I see you have at least a couple of other posts with other information about what you’ve done to your car and what it’s doing, starts and dies, replaced heater core, etc..

Maybe it would be a good idea to put all the info in one thread so we can read it and have all that information in one read. Instead of trying to piece together what your car is doing from several different threads.
How is that helpful? What does driveability, a heater core etc have to do with a clock spring problem?

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
Ok I order a clock spring from ebay waiting on it. Can any one tell me if I should replace the ac drier since the ac lines was open for a few days? Is anything else I should know about the AC? should add some oil etc??? I looking for treads on the subject but I want to know if it is something that I don't know beside pressure test vacuum the system and ad the gas.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
You should replace the drier anytime system is open. they are inexpensI've and good insurance. Try to add to the order you just made.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Actually if the AC system is left open for any length of time, the system should be evacuated, the dryer replaced and the system recharged with a measured amount of oil and refrigerant. Of course that only applies if you want the AC system to work properly.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I replace the clock spring but my power steering still not working I try to turn the wheel and oil is coming out the power steering tank and ESP light still on.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I call the dealer they say the clock spring has nothing to do with the power steering. I have a vcd light it tell me out of range. I am at lost here because I see people saying it has to do with abs and power steering.

Last edited:

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I call the dealer after replace the clock spring and power steering still not working but they say the clock spring has nothing to do whit power steering. I have a vcom lithe its say
Power data bus missing from instrument cluster P1650
Stering Angle sensor G85

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
There is a write up in tdi 101 about clocksprings. Mysteries unwound or something like that.

Clocksprings are pretty fussy, the triangle is probably a steering angle sensor code, but you would need a vcds to read and reset the sensor. The sensor is part of the clock spring, there is a little window in the upper right corner of the clockspring, the little yellow indicator needs to be in the window on installation.

I’m assuming your Jetta has ESP?

Just to be clear no air bag light......yet, right?
Thats funny just see your message I think my phone was blocking me to see all comments on this tread. Yes I do have ESP. I install a used clock spring will remove it now and see about the window you are talking about. I will let you know thanks

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
My clock spring is set on the yellow window but my vcd light say it is out of range the program don't allow me to access the options to set it. How much would cost the program can I just rent it? I would like some help I am sure I don't want take it to the dealer if I can help.
thank you