2000 vw jetta 1.9 tdi 500 kms to a tank??? help!!!!!

sandeepshergill

TDI
2000 jetta 1.9
Hi,
I just bought a 2000 vw jetta 1.9 tdi automatic with 188k kms on it [ saw the icbc report no accidents ] although the owner said he got the transmission changed from an accidental vw at AAA transmission , took it straight to vw service station and got a type 'b' service mainly cause it had a hot oil fush in it. after a month i got engine check light and went to the vw service station and got my glow plugs timing belt its tensioner and the bolts in addition i was advised to replace the water pump so i replaced that too!!!!!!!! they found that coolant flange had previous signs of leaking and and recomended to replace and power fush the cooling system, at that time i didnt do it,

I thought that this would be it and i will get good milage per tank like everybody else now i am getting only 500-530kms per tank i.e in 42 to 45 liter of diesel i fill up at husky and chevron arround my house and keep the tire pressure 35psi, in addition to this i have heavy diesel smell when the engine is left running [ i could be wrong this is my first diesel car ] saw this website in google search to find out the cause of my problem, can someone please help me.

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Some things to remember, 1 the diesel fuel in winter time tends to drop your economy a bit. there are anti gels in the diesel that prevents the diesel from freezing however fuel economy is sacrificed.
2 what type of driving are you doing? city Vs highway.
The automatic also will rob the economy a bit as well, also the length of your commute will effect the consumption, the longer the better.
for example I am commuting within Vancouver with a 2004 tdi jetta with a manual transmission, my fill ups are typically 42 litres, and I am just around 600 per tank "from full to the amber light."
Note I am not using the vent button on the side of the fill up neck.
if you vent your tank and fill to the top you will increase your fuel economy however you will be also filling up a couple of extra litres.
Also keep your revs between about 1700 rpm and about 2500 rpm.
A common mistake is to keep the rpms very low max torque is made around 2000 rpm. torque= good economy.
hope this helps