www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 14th, 2010, 16:28   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default I Joined the Busted Seat Spring Club Today

On the way home from work today, driving along and BAM! Sounded and felt like something huge slammed into the undercarriage of the Jetta, but I was puttering along in traffic at about 10 MPH. My wife was with me and she jumped and screamed, "What the hell was that!" I just went, "Ahh it finally happened", and grinned at her. She thought I was nuts. Good thing I read the posts here about the seat spring breaking with a deafining bang! Otherwise I would have searched like crazy for undercarriage damage.

Oddly, both seat lifts still work fine and I did not find a big spring rolling around under the seat.

Update: Yes, I found it. Passenger's side. I showed it to my wife and told her this is what she heard and felt busting loose under her seat and she said, "God, I have to get back on my diet!"

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; July 14th, 2010 at 16:39.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 17:21   #2
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

I noticed one laying under my passenger seat the other day... never heard it, but knew exactly what it was.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:40   #3
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Mine was laying on the front floor mat the day after I bought the car used.

Not sure if it came of then or it was hard braking. It doesn't appear broke but my buddy looked and it appears it would require seat removal to replace.

Where is the main thread talking about this?
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:09   #4
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Haven't seen a 'main thread', just lots and lots of 'where did this spring come from?' threads
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:13   #5
hid3
Banned

jeez you boys and gals really need to eat less junk food
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:32   #6
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Not even funny, hid3.

The mass pushing down on the seat cushion has nothing to do with this. It is merely yet another crappy german engineering decision. The little cast hook that the spring is on is cast, it is brittle, and it can't hold the spring tension. For any of these, it is merely a matter of time before you find the spring.

If you look carefully enough, you will also find a small chunk of metal that looks broken on one end. It is only about 4mm in diameter, and 6-7mm long. The chunk is probably hiding under the seat also, and since very few people are silly enough to remove a seat to look for it, very few people have seen it. Or maybe they all just heard the click as a vacuum sucked it up.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 19:09   #7
DSIre
Veteran Member

I made the mistake of asking the dealer for a replacement seat frame (it was still under warranty at the time) The replacement parts - the seatback does not sit tight against the seat, so if you put something on the seat, like a map, it falls through.

Best fix? Do nothing. Thats what I did with the drivers seat and it goes up and down just fine
DSIre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 15:23   #8
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

First time I have ever read about this issue. Watch, Murphy's Law will kick in and one of my seat springs will break soon just because I read about it.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 13:13   #9
Aquaticmind
Veteran Member

Location: Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is. Wa, via Carbondale IL, via Asheville NC
Fuel Economy: good

Thats what happened to me... I found my spring yesterday..

So where does the spring attach? What did it do, and should I try to replace it??

Aquaticmind is offline   Reply With Quote