www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old December 16th, 2009, 20:41   #1
Tarbe
Veteran Member

Default Joined the Mafia Today

'09 has 32k miles.

Leaving Friday for Virginia.

New filter and M1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 along for the ride.

Couldn't get myself to wait until 40k. Couldn't even get myself to wait until I got back from Virginia.

Tim
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:57   #2
mdoaw12i

should be 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP
Old December 19th, 2009, 20:05   #3
Tarbe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoaw12i
should be 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP
Maybe in your car....

BTW - I have 1,100 miles on this oil change and my first two tanks have averaged 46.5mpg. Only assignable cause for the increase (that I have identified) is the oil.

I think several others have reported an increase in fuel economy with the Mobil oil. Nice side benefit if it holds up!

Tim
Old December 19th, 2009, 20:40   #4
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

I personally don't see an issue with the M1 5w40 Formula M version, afterall it's what I use
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:39   #5
hid3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire
I personally don't see an issue with the M1 5w40 Formula M version, afterall it's what I use
In a PD, CR or VE...?
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:32   #6
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

CR, I have also seen the aftermath of 5w30 in the PD engines and now recomend to all my customers the use of M1 TDT 5w40.

I have a PD that came in with catastrophic cam and lifter failure at 120K. Car just turned over 240K (comes in tomorrow) and going stronger than ever.

I also installed on the PD motors the Dieselgeek By-Pass to add to the protective margins of the M1 5w40 as well as 1 micron filtering.
Old December 20th, 2009, 10:59   #7
hid3
Banned

Nice! Will you be inspecting it for cam & lifter wear again? Please report the results back with what you'll find during the inspection! Thanks.
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 13:28   #8
Zambee500
Veteran Member

Quote:
CR, I have also seen the aftermath of 5w30 in the PD engines and now recomend to all my customers the use of M1 TDT 5w40.
M1 TDT 5w40 or M1 ESP-Formula M 5w40? I'm confused on which is the better of the non-505.01 oils that folks here are using.

And how do they compare to the 505.01 5w40 oils offered by Pentosin and LubroMoly?
Old December 20th, 2009, 13:31   #9
MyWifesTDI
Veteran Member

Joined the mafia yesterday as well, my wife's '04 PD is running with Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40. Contemplating the use of ZDDP additive to bolster the Delvac 1.
MyWifesTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 13:54   #10
Zambee500
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifesTDI
Joined the mafia yesterday as well, my wife's '04 PD is running with Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40. Contemplating the use of ZDDP additive to bolster the Delvac 1.
I'm totally confused again on the best M1 for a PD motor. I thought from this thread that M1 Delvac ESP 5w40 was not preferred over M1 ESP Formula M 5w40 or M1 TDT 5w40:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=217700&page=3
Old December 20th, 2009, 14:17   #11
MyWifesTDI
Veteran Member

Don't be confused, I am taking a path that I think is best for my vehicle. From what I have read, the the 5W-30 505.01 oils may not protect as well as the 5W-40 CJ-4 oils. I plan on using the Delvac 1 5W-40 and possibly running extended OCIs. That would require Oil Analysis to verify the oils (continued) ability to do it's job. Delvac 1 ESP is designed for OTR diesels with OCIs of 100K miles possible. The fact that others prefer M1 TDT 5W-40 based on UOA evidence, and M1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 having the MB 229.51 approval is their choice. Ohters have run Delvac 1 ESP with good results, they just are not in the majority. Whoever on this forum said, drive more, worry less, is absolutely correct!
Old December 20th, 2009, 15:20   #12
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifesTDI
Whoever on this forum said, drive more, worry less, is absolutely correct!
I would be the one who coined that phrase years ago...

Drive more worry less, DB
Old December 20th, 2009, 16:51   #13
MyWifesTDI
Veteran Member

I have a similar saying on my mountain bike stem bolt cap which is a circular, and sentence reads: "All work and no play is on good at...". Repeat as many times as necessary.

All work and no play is no good at all...anonymous
Old December 20th, 2009, 17:48   #14
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Bought a case of the Mobil1 5w30 ESP when we purchased the car new. Would it be in the motor's best interest to switch to the 5w40 Formula M after I deplete my remaining 8 liters of 5w30? Not really worried about the 5w40 being non 507.00 oil as it seems (at least from what I've read here) to be better suited for our applications in the long haul and is also DPF safe.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 18:27   #15
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

I'm of the opinion that all VW engines require a 5w40. A 0w40 would be great also but are hard if not impossible to find in low SAPS formulations.

I won't run a 5w30 in any of my cars. I have tried it and I was not impressed with the wear rates.