Anyone Thinking About a New 2015?

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I sold my 2012 SEL wagon and used part of the money to buy a Mercedes E320 CDI. Its a great car, runs like a strong V8, get 30/35 MPG.
But...I miss my TDI. I've had 18 VW diesels since 1984. I used to buy them for 50-300.00 and replace head gaskets, and timing belts and drive them until I came across another one. I loved my 2009 Jetta SEL and JSW SEL.
I am thinking about getting back in the game. The MPG of the 2015 is VERY tempting. I also like the connectivity and hands free phone feature. If I buy one, I'll be selling my 177K CDI, 2005 vintage.
I guess I am asking if anyone has bought a '15 recently and their opinion and experience.
Thanks in advance.

Ogcat

TDI
2015 Golf S DSG, 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
I got another 3 weeks ago. I was done in January when I turned my 2015 GSW in. I've had 14 VW's since 1986 myself. 4 diesels (3 tdi's and an '84 Rabbit diesel). I was looking for a fuel efficient used car to use for commuting and travel. My boys play ice hockey so I wanted something 2 bags and sticks would fit in and get better than the 20mpg my truck and my wife's SUV get.

I was about to pull the trigger on a 2014 Jetta SEL tsi since it had the pass through in the rear seat. In hindsight, I loved the GSW but I couldn't pass up the money so I turned it in. Before I bought the Jetta I came back to the forum to take a look and saw talk about the incentives on the 2015 stop sales. 0% for 72 months plus $5k of sticker plus some dealers willingness to negotiate drew me in. I searched and found several close enough to me.

I ended up buying a Golf S. It's plain compared to my recent VW's but it gets the job done. It won't haul my family on long trips but for the long trips where its a kids and my wife or me driving, it's what we'll take. We've put over 3k miles on it in just over 3 weeks between work and hockey. Hand calculated mileage so far is 43mpg. Both kids will be driving within 2 years so they'll be getting it soon enough.

JettaMK613

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium
Bought a 2013 Jetta TDI SE new and wanted another, then VW stopped selling the TDI due to scandel. But now they are selling them again, so I purchased a 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG and I love it.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
i have had two e320 CDi' as well as a e300. The e300 was nice, ran strong and sounded great. 26 pg was ehhhhhh... The E320 was a boat and drove like it.

I wouldn't touch a 2015 with a ten-foot pole. 1 year only unicorn motor and insanely complex with every damn thing computer controlled and some of the stupidest EPA mandated crap I have ever seen. So many failure points it's astounding they can even drive off the lot without breaking down

Now, I know where there are 10 brand new JSW 2014 vintage waiting to be picked up. Thats right BRAND NEW Including 3-4 sedans and even a beetle convertible!

I placed a deposit on a white one with sunroof.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Nope. I'm done. Loved it but I'm ready to move on. VW doesn't deserve my money. I'll be replacing my 12 TDI Golf with a 2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Meh, every tdi has been very complex compared to the carbureuted pushrod engines of old. So far, the ea288 tdi's seem to be holding up pretty well. Haven't heard of a multitude of hpfp failures like on the ea189 cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got one:

Still have my '02 Wagon (and '99.5 Golf, and '97 Passat), but the '15 is very nice. I don't drive it a lot, really bought it because I don't think I'll ever see another FWD diesel wagon with a manual transmission. And with the rebates they were offering it was pretty inexpensive. Don't think the deals are as good, now that they've gotten scarce.

Last edited:

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Meh, every tdi has been very complex compared to the carbureuted pushrod engines of old. So far, the ea288 tdi's seem to be holding up pretty well. Haven't heard of a multitude of hpfp failures like on the ea189 cars.
That's exactly why I'm not bothering to keep mine. Who knows what effects the fix will have long term and I'm still not convinced the turbo or HPFP are reliable enough. My flipping front doors won't even latch right now because of the hot weather. Ridiculous. I'm gonna fart around in this till early summer next year. Save me 15K miles and about $6K. Selling it back just as the HPFP is out of warranty.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I was going to get a new 2015, but by the time I heard about the deal they were pretty much out of manual Golf SELs. So I'm getting a used one with 35k miles on it. Picking it up Monday!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I wouldn't touch a 2015 with a ten-foot pole. 1 year only unicorn motor and insanely complex with every damn thing computer controlled and some of the stupidest EPA mandated crap I have ever seen. So many failure points it's astounding they can even drive off the lot without breaking down
lol

Can't believe I've been able to put over 9,000 miles on mine since May. I'm one lucky guy.

So when do they start breaking down? 10k?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
definitely considering one. here's my scenario:

getting $27k for A3 buyback. really had my eye on a lightly used Volvo V60 for $30ish, but the wife doesn't love the looks for some reason. then we were eyeing a similarly used Audi Allroad, but those are more mid-$30's.

haven't ruled anything out, but decided to do a quick search for a fixed '15 GSW, and holy cow are they priced attractively. maybe not as "high end" as those other two, but we could nab an SE with 10-20k miles (which is nothing for a tdi) for near $20k and pocket six or seven thou for tune and tickets to visit friends in London?!
i'd be stupid to NOT seriously consider this route... i'm not sure a '15 GSW isn't actually an upgrade from an '11 A3 - need to drive one soon.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
definitely considering one. here's my scenario:
Since you're not beholden to the TDI, you should also cross shop the TSI GSW 4mo / Alltrack, if AWD is helpful. Also the new Tiguan if more size is wanted.
By not limiting yourself to a TDI, you have many more options for a replacement. The above can be had new for $22-27k
If mpg matters - can't beat a 2015 TDI, though.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Since you're not beholden to the TDI, you should also cross shop the TSI GSW 4mo / Alltrack, if AWD is helpful. Also the new Tiguan if more size is wanted.
By not limiting yourself to a TDI, you have many more options for a replacement. The above can be had new for $22-27k
If mpg matters - can't beat a 2015 TDI, though.
define "beholden." i'd love to stay in a diesel, i just didn't think one would be available at $20k not even broken in yet. i'd really only go gasser if it were significantly nicer, more comfortable with unmatched features. not sure a brand new Alltrack ticks those boxes - or even the Volvo or Audi, for the money.

a '15 tdi w/ 15k miles is new enough for me, particularly if there's cash left over to Malone and add a few bells n whistles!

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
define "beholden." i'd love to stay in a diesel, i just didn't think one would be available at $20k not even broken in yet. i'd really only go gasser if it were significantly nicer, more comfortable with unmatched features. not sure a brand new Alltrack ticks those boxes - or even the Volvo or Audi, for the money.
a '15 tdi w/ 15k miles is new enough for me, particularly if there's cash left over to Malone and add a few bells n whistles!
Just noting that you had mentioned a V60, etc as options. Most on here won't consider anything non-TDI when making a purchase, it seems.

You can get some deals on the used TDIs, that's for sure, especially with a budget of $27k...

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I will say we just bought a 2017 Passat TSI. Love the newer features compared to our 2010 Jetta TDI (still have), but man, it's just not the same. I drove it to work when I was getting my ignition switch fixed in the TDI, and it didn't even get close to the mpg as the TDI. I think it got about 31mpg with some traffic, but 90% highway. I can get 45mpg driving the same way, in the same traffic, with the Jetta TDI.

We planned on selling the TDI, then me taking over the 17' Passat and her getting a new vehicle, but I think I'm either going to keep the Jetta TDI, or sell it back and buy a 2015 Passat TDI. She doesn't drive much, so she's ok with keeping the Passat. Plus it's much newer and this means only 1 car payment, opposed to two. I won't have the new features of the 2017 Passat, but I'll still have the awesome mileage and power of the TDI if I get a 2015 Passat TDI, or just keep the 2010 Jetta TDI. The TDI is just fun to drive. The TSI is snappier, but it's boring with not so great mileage. Me driving 110 miles a day, the TDI is much cheaper for me to drive. I don't have to make stops to fill up as much either.

My only dilemma now is if I should keep the 2010 Jetta TDI, or upgrade to a newer 2015 Passat TDI that would be bigger. My only reason for that is because I have two daughters now and the extra room is convenient. Then again, the Jetta has pretty much been perfect for us, up until the ignition switch.

Sorry for rambling, but I guess my reason for posting this is because I kinda feel like you and would miss a TDI if I stopped driving one completely. If I was in your boat, I would probably buy a new/used 2015 Passat TDI and not look back. They aren't a Mercedes or BMW, but they are still nice cars. The TDI is just a fun engine that picks up and goes, while giving you awesome mileage.

I wish you the best of luck

Sactojohn

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
If you like TDI and want something newer, buy a 2015 now because they will never make a TDI in the US again. If I didn't have so many cars I would buy one just because it is something that you will never have the opportunity to buy again. Sure, 10 years from now you can buy a used one, but never one this nice. That 2010 is becoming rare right now. Only one is for sale in northern CA with 106k on it and they want $14000 for it.

Fireman554

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI - SEL
For what it's worth, I have a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL purchased new and had the cheat software removed about 8 weeks ago. Within 3 business days I received a check from VW America for almost $5,000. Once they replace the exhaust system and catalytic converted, I'll receive the remainder of $$$. I have noticed no adverse effects and I still get in excess of 42+mpg. By the way my VW dealer can't keep tdi's in their showroom. They sell them as quickly as they get them. Also, 2 weeks ago I took delivery of a new 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium for my wife. I may just buy another 2015 Jetta TDI SEL as my dealer has one in his showroom presently.

phspman

TDI
Jetta 2014
I saw a 2015 TDI at my dealership in Houston. They're selling it for $15K with around 15K miles. 2015 Passats are going for around $18K. If anyone hasn't done the buy back... For me I haven't done it yet but I could do the buy back and get $26K for my 2014 Jetta with 40K miles and buy the 2015 with less miles and have $10K to spare... $3K more than my restitution as if I were just doing the modification.

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
Just ran my second fill up numbers through Fuelly on my new 2015 Golf TDI DSG Trendline and I'm pretty happy. Pretty much all conservative hi-way driving The average was 4.6 litres per 100 Kms. or 51 mpg US or 62 mpg Canadian. I definitely can live with that, the small fuel tank (50 litres) and small trunk, that's another story. After picking up this new car for an almost even trade in/buyback, I have no grudge with VW. Never thought I'd like an automatic, but I've had enough of the manual on my commutes up and down the 400

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I pulled the trigger on a new 2015 Tdi. 23,338 minus 8000 for a lease and residual value of 10,500 at the end of a 24 month lease. 15k miles a year. Car is strong running and I've gone 320 miles on a half tank. I bought in Bristol, TN but live in Louisville, KY. Need to take it in to local dealer for: brakes vibrating due to heavy pitting from sitting outside two years, rear shocks may be bad and it is pretty choppy over a bump, and the rear trunk lid springs are weak and won't rise the trunk lid all the way up( bumped head twice already)

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I test drove a 2105 Golf with plans to sell my 2013 back to VW and buy the 2015.

However, after a long test drive, I felt like cramped in as if the cockpit was a completely different approach. Also seemed to have reduced window visibility.

So, now I'm tentatively planning to keep the 2013 and take it in for the fix. The warranty is rathe compelling and my 2013 looks like new (I baby cars).