Tracking my Golf's progress

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Tracking my Golf\'s progress

Hi Folks. I thought I'd share this with the forum.

As of yesterday, my dealer gave me the computer printout of the our cars' status. It has left Halifax Sept 28/99 (yippee!). It sat in port for 18 days

Anyway, On the printout was the number of the railcar that our car is loaded on. Well, this is cool. We went to CN's website and put in the railcar number and I'm able to track it's progress across Canada! I'm pumped!

Canadian National's website is at: http:\\www.cn.ca
Go to the 'tracking' section.

The railcar number is broken up into two sections. The first section is four alpha characters, and the second field is a 6 digit number. For example: TTGX 961941.

So, yesterday it arrived Toronto, Ontario, and now it's in Foleyet, Ontario.

So, if you have a car on order, get your dealer to get the railcar number! This is neat. Please note that this is for Canadian orders only. I imagine there are similar ways to track this in other countries.

Just had to share this info!
Harry.

------------------
'87 Golf Diesel (264000+ Km)
'00 Golf TDI GLS, 5M, heated seats. On the train from Halifax to Vancouver. Arrived Toronto Oct 1/99.

[This message has been edited by Hyates (edited October 02, 1999).]

M

mickey

Re: Tracking my Golf\'s progress

So...you're not excited about this or anything, are you?

-mickey

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD

Excited? Me? What? Well, ... errrrr... YEAH, I am! Our first new car in 13 years.. I'm PUMPED!!
Darn, everyone knows now

Harry.

------------------
'00 Golf TDI GLS, 5M, heated seats. On the train from Halifax to Vancouver. Arrived Toronto Oct 1/99.

kcgolf

I can understand your excitement awaiting the new arrival! We're currently trying to sell one of our gas pigs ('92 Pathfinder SEV6) so we too can purchase a '00 Golf GLS TDI.

A few questions: When did you order the TDI? what color? did you also opt for luxury pkg (why or why not)? which dealer in Langley did you go through? if you don't mind (understand if you do), how close to MSRP did you pay? have you owned a diesel in the past?

Congrats again on the soon to be yours new '00 Golf TDI
! We've really enjoyed our test drives so far and can only hope to sell one of the SUV's soon!!

'98 Pathfinder Chilkoot Trail (silver)
'92 Pathfinder SEV6 (blue)
'00 Golf GLS TDI (silver) w/lux and cold weather pkg's (dearly anticipating!)

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD

Kcgolf;

I'll try and recap for you;

We ordered the car July 26/99, and got a car that was currently in the pipeline. Car arrived Vancouver Aug 31... BUT it went to a different dealer and was sold from under us without that dealer checking the car against his order sheets
Not impressed.

My dealer blocked the car that is coming the same day (Aug 31). The car had been waiting in Germany to be shipped. It was on the boat Sept 2, and arrived Halifax Sept 10/99. Sat in Halfax 18 days, and now it's on the train. ETA is 21 days for CN to ship from Halifax to Vancouver. Hard to believe.

We are getting satin silver, black interior, cold winter package (heated seats), 5 speed manual. No luxury package. We are getting the factory alloys at dealer cost, and will be taking delivery with the steel wheels/hubcaps (winter set), and 6 cd changer, 4 mudflaps.

We didn't want the luxury package as we didn't want a sunroof. IMHO, they are noisy, problematic, rattle, potentially leak/fail at some time in the cars' life, and extra maintenance. Also, the headliner gets REAL dirty with sunroof equipped cars. The car has a/c and windows... good enough for us.

Dealer is Guildford Motors in Surrey, BC. The Langley dealer isn't that good IMHO
We are a long time/loyal customer of Guildford (13 years!) and we got the car at a very good price. I don't want to disclose figures here as Guildford highly rewarded our loyalty on this deal.

The TDI will be our 4th diesel... second VW diesel.

If Calgary doesn't have what you want, give Guildford a call. They are on the web at http:\\www.vwaudi.com

They sell lots of TDI's. Ask for Peter Schluter.

Thanks for 'congrats'
Harry.

------------------

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Harry, that is way kewl tracking the exact train car with your new vehicle! So...are you taking off from work to drive east to meet the train in mid transit and wave as the train goes by? I bet you could even hitch a ride on the train. Heck...if the car door is unlocked, most likey...how else would the dealer get in?, you can ride (sort of) your TDI into town!!! And think of all the time you will have to check it out before delivery.

------------------
DEZLBOY
Cannon Mats/WeatherTech Cargo Liner/DaDaDa Cassette/Autobahn CD/Two Guys in the Golf Sunscreen/Popup Skeleton Toy
Waiting for White Golf GLS TDI w/lux and winter pack, and black interior, to be allocated to dealer.

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD

Dezlboy, yeah, this tracking thing is really neat. Right now it's gone through Sioux Lookout, Ontario. At the rate it's going, it'll be in Manitoba tonight

It'll be easier for me to hitch a ride just before it arrives it's destination as the CN railway tracks are about a kilometre from my home
Don't worry, as soon as it's arrived, I'll be phoning my dealer to make him aware.

The car will get unloaded in New Westminster, BC and the car will sit in Annacis Island before it gets released to the dealer. I imagine there will be a few days delay at Annacis to unload/inspect prior to shipping out by truck.

Gotta admit, though, this is very cool. I'm tracking progress on my road maps

Harry.

------------------

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Harry,

You just have to take a picture of the train! and the railcar containing your VW!

Come to think of it..wouldn't it be neat to have pictures of your VW being built?

(well...maybe not....?)

KO

Veteran Member

I passed three car haulers loaded, with Jetta on my way back from Dallas TX today. Couldn't tell what engine was in them though. They had white covers over the trunk and hood. But, they where heading North. I only saw one TDI the entire trip, and it was a Passat, the body style before the current one. He came up beside me, honked, and took off like a bat out of you know where. I was doing 80mph, guess he was in a hurry. I think I saw the TDI in his grill when he came up behind me, then I saw it for sure when he took off.

Luap

Hey Harry-

Where's your TDI today?

I'll admit that I'm almost as excited as you, what with your being a local and my having to live vicariously through you all!

No TDI yet....

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD

Luap, well, I'm going to 'bite'....

It passed through Jasper, Alberta today
Homeward bound, baby. I LIKE it. So, it should be in New West tomorrow. I'll be phoning the dealer to make them 'aware'. They might be able to expedite delivery (fat chance, eh?).

Getting pumped!
Harry.

------------------
'00 Golf TDI GLS, 5M, heated seats. On the train from Halifax to Vancouver. Arrived Jasper, Alberta Oct 5/99. Getting real close now!

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD

Just to complete this topic...

For Canadians, our Golf TDI arrived Vancouver today
The journey from Halifax was 8 days. Not bad.

I've already contacted my dealer, and he said that I would probably get the car next week. Hard to say for sure as it has to unloaded, inspected, and then assigned to a truck for dealer delivery.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd 'report in' for the forum

Harry.

------------------
'00 Golf TDI GLS, 5M, heated seats. On the train from Halifax to Vancouver. Arrived Vancouver, BC Oct 6/99. It's here!

Harry

You say your car was waiting in Germany!!!!!
I thought all Jettas And Golfs and NB were made in Mexico for north America what gives am I wrong
Harry Jetta 99 2L

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD

Hi Folks. Just bringing this thread to a conclusion. Our car sat at the distribution centre for British Columbia (Annacis Island) for 7 days prior to getting delivered to our dealer.

The car came in this morning, and I was promptly paged by the sales manager at 0855. I inspected the car, and gave the OK to prep by 1130.

My wife and I both checked up on the car this evening at 1700. We *really* like what we see

We take delivery tomorrow at 1300 hrs

Harry.

------------------
'87 Golf Diesel (265000+ Km)
'00 Golf TDI GLS, 5M, heated seats. Arrived dealer Oct 15/99!