oil reservoir heater or engine block heater

rmunsen

Does anyone have experience with the optional oil reservoir heater for the TDI? My dealer says the block heater is no longer offered, and I heard of one problem with someone who had a reservoir heater installed. I will spend time in Eastern Washington and Montana with my TDI, and I would like the protection of a heater.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I'm going to be putting the Zerostart (I think that's what it's called) coolant heater on my 2001 Jetta TDI in a couple of weeks.

Reason: If something smacks through my belly pan and hits the oil reservoir - the pan heater would be toast as well. I just don't want the risk. I've had enough bad things happen to me and my vehicles that I'm finally starting to do some thinkin' ahead of time. MAN!! I may actually be growing up..hmmm. scary!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Try this link to an excellent heater for the coolant. This think with 1000W heater will not only keep you coolant at 190* F it will also radiate down through the pan and warm the oil. Wish I could fit one in the Beetle.

Also if you get a steel skid plate you wouldn't be worrying about knocking holes in the oil pan.

TDI Heater

Forgot to put in the link.
Can't spell either.

[ November 06, 2002, 20:57: Message edited by: Old Navy ]