my 99 mk4 jetta work in progress

rollincoal97

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 red 5spd
I'm new to vws this 99 tdi is my first tdi had a 74 superbeetle a while back...
Specs for car
99 tornado red jetta 4dr
5spd
348k an climbing
3" flowmaster an 2stage borla tip
B6 rs4 wheels.
An 1.5" nuespeed drop kit waiting to be installed.

Holmie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Silver-- Wifes car
looks good. will look even better when it has been painted to match. also the wheels look good on that car. some tinted side markers would be a good addition. the ones on the fenders not on the bumper.

stuntboy79

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
It ought to look good when you are done. IMO i would drop it 2" and it would look awesome with those wheels. I miss my MK4.:)

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
It ought to look good when you are done. IMO i would drop it 2" and it would look awesome with those wheels. I miss my MK4.:)
Yeah it will look good when he puts those damn nuespeeds i gave him on it.

Holmie

Veteran Member
TDI
from experience i probably would not paint the wheels. I sanded and sanded and sanded and it never had the same shine. blue looked with a blue car but I wanted to leave the main part of the wheel silver. if you want to see let me know. anyway if you do paint the wheels the best thing i found to remove the paint/clear coat from wheels is aircraft aluminium paint stripper.

Holmie

Veteran Member
TDI
here is one pic
and i will go ahead and link the whole album. if you look in the last pic they were starting to look good but i already had about 30 hours worth of work and they needed about twice that before they were going to look good. and so you know grease does not work well as masking.
Link to album

rollincoal97

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 red 5spd
those look nasty i would even bother to paint those wheels... no offense...

mine dont look bad with just rattle can to see how it will look.. but they will be done right!

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
here is one pic
and i will go ahead and link the whole album. if you look in the last pic they were starting to look good but i already had about 30 hours worth of work and they needed about twice that before they were going to look good. and so you know grease does not work well as masking.
Link to album
Dude.............Seriously? You HAVE to remove the tires and wheel weights to do that properly. Search the internet for proper prep tips to refinish wheels. Caswell Plating and duplicolor you tube DIY's will help a bit. Refinishing wheels is too much work to cut corners and expect good results.

Holmie

Veteran Member
TDI
it was more or less an experiment not going to be the final wheels. yeah they are for a different make of car though. looked real good on that car. the car was ugly duckling. 87 chrysler lebaron gts. 4 door hatchback. only reason i had it- 300 dollar pricetag and turbo engine... live and learn. good car to learn how to work on cars with.

do you want a shine to your wheels or the dull look?

rollincoal97

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 red 5spd
ok so here is what these wheels would kinda look like white... one of my rims has bent lip from blowout so my father being a welder an all we are gunna fix that so i figured why not rattle can the damn thing rly quick!

lmk what ya think

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
if you want to do rattle can, the duplicolor diy is great. I painted my wheels in my sig. They weren't spray painted but i did the same prep work as shown in the duplicolor diy i found.

Once that front clip is painted it'll look great even if the wheels are still unpainted.

As for wheel repairs i guess the lip may be ok, but a friend of mine repaired a rim on an audi for the Gumball Rally (or whatever it's called now) where they race across the US. The guy ended up having to get a replacement wheel later which a dealer covered for him.

Oh and nice find on the lip, i wish i could find one that cheap but i dont mind my 4-motion lip since i dont have sideskirts to go w/ a gli lip.

rollincoal97

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 red 5spd
yep so i got bored today an i took out my flowmaster an side piped my car sounds sick!!! an the turbo flutter is mad loud now!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
it was more or less an experiment not going to be the final wheels. yeah they are for a different make of car though. looked real good on that car. the car was ugly duckling. 87 chrysler lebaron gts. 4 door hatchback. only reason i had it- 300 dollar pricetag and turbo engine... live and learn. good car to learn how to work on cars with.

do you want a shine to your wheels or the dull look?
blah.."experiment"...blah x 3.

Nothing you said made a good defense for basically screwing up the pimp job on the wheels. You remind me of an old friend who would do the same non-nonsensical ramblings expecting his parents to just give up listening to his explanations. Worked for him. He just could never admit when he was wrong. Very comical.

They are your wheels to do as you please, but please don't try to outsmart this forum. LOL