FS: 2003 Jetta TDI, 5 spd, 4 dr sedan. Platinum Grey.

splashdown

TDI
03 Platinum Grey Jetta
So hard to decide what to do with this car, but I think I don't want to do all the work it will take to refurbish it. I know there are folks on this forum that have the tools and knowledge to take this car to double or triple the current odometer. We don't drive it much at all since I have a company vehicle. Currently being driven between our '14 Golf TDI buyback and TSI Sportwagen on the way.
230k on the odometer. Original owner. Have all maintenance records and most all fuel records with mpg calculations. Major maintenance including timing belts were performed by ZahnTech in Redmond, WA. Performed every oil change myself and used AmsOil exclusively. The car still gets 50 mpg on the highway. Continental Control Contact 195/65R15 tires are new (6k used, 90k warranty). 9900 miles on brake pads and there's plenty of meat left on them.
No modifications. Running stock all these years. VW alloy wheels.
No major body or paint defects but front bumper slightly detached where it meets front passenger side wheel well. I can't seem to get it reattached properly and don't remember why it came loose in the first place.
Issues that need repair:
Still running on original suspension. Suspect that shocks/struts and related bits will need replacement at some point.
Due, but not overdue for a timing belt (75k since last).
Believe it needs a head gasket, but not losing hardly any oil.
Believe it needs an EGR valve.
Needs new thermostat according to OBD tool diagnosis of engine code.
Recently found carpet to be moist, likely from door gasket leaking. Parking in garage now to dry it out and getting it cleaned up.
$2500.00 OBO.
We are in Everett, WA.
Let me know if you're interested! Will get some pictures up soon.

splashdown

TDI
03 Platinum Grey Jetta
Here are the pictures as promised. Not officially available until we get something new to replace our '14 Golf TDI that went back to VW. Might be only a couple weeks until available.

Last edited:

splashdown

TDI
03 Platinum Grey Jetta
At this point we may just trade this into the dealer, which means we might get $750 for it. If anyone on here wants this car for $1000, we'd be game.

splashdown

TDI
03 Platinum Grey Jetta
Regarding head gasket:
I think our mechanic told us that last time we had it in. That was 4 years and 39k miles ago. We had the wiper motor and relay replaced, plus had intake manifold cleaned on that visit.

Other than what they told me, I don't know if it needs it or not. The car starts up easily and runs fine. Good bit of exaust smoke on cold start.

I used to work at an office with a 50 mile commute each way, all highway. Made that drive for 9 years. I found a nice country road that I could cruise at 50 mph to get there and back most efficiently. Half the miles on this car were nice easy miles like that.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you for your interest.

lefty82004

TDI
3 2010 M/T Jetta TDI's(totaled, buyback, currently debating buyback or keep or sell) 1 2006 Jetta Auto TDI(sold) 2013 Touareg TDI
This still available?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
bump for a nice car. mine is nearly the exact same as yours with the exact same problems (less 20K miles and no HG problem that i know of) i've been told a few thousand dollars for mine will get it back in great order.

will be interested though to see what happens with yours. wish i could buy it and restore yours too, i've been enjoying the process on mine.

good luck with the sale.

Badger174

TDI
03 Jetta 5-speed
Is the car still available? If so, I'm very interested. It looks like a good project and a solid car. I could also get you payment in cash almost immediately if that helps you at all.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Zach