P2711 DSG issue

branden

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG - 173k
P2711 code, unexpected mechanical gear disengagement - When vehicle is first started never an issue going into any drive mode. After driving (sometimes as little as a few miles) - when going from D/S/M to P/R vehicle will make clunking noises as though the valve body/mechatronics unit is attempting to change gear/drive mode but then the drive mode indicator goes away on screen and P2711 fault appears. The workaround seems to be that if I restart the vehicle, it will go into any drive mode without issues, even immediately restarted. There is a TSB for P2711 fault that states it is due to debris in the wet clutch packs and the fix is to replace the wet clutch packs. Previous owner of my vehicle brought it to the dealer for diagnosis and their very vague diagnosis was the following: (154096 miles- 06/24/15) "Customer states CEL is on. Check and advise. - Light was on all day yesterday and came off while pulling into the service drive. No drivability issues.
Scanned the vehicle and P2711 for a faulty mechatronics unit was stored. Doing output tests the control module is working normally. There is an internal short in the mechatronic unit causing the light to come on."
Prior repair order (150558 miles - 10/14/14): Customer requests transmission service. Customer states intermittent shifting issues when going into reverse/forward at low speeds (won't shift). Scanned transmission control module and P2711 unexpected mechanical gear disengagement intermittent fault stored. Customer was unsure if DSG fluid/filter service had ever been performed. Factory recommended fix for DTC P2711 is to replace wet clutch pack. This was explained to customer and was declined. Peformed DSG fluid and dilter change. Test drove vehicle. Customer to monitor."

Service history I received indicates that DSG services had been performed on time. I also performed a DSG service upon purchase of the vehicle at 164k miles, and issue was resolved for about 2000 miles, then intermittently returned and has now gotten much more frequent. Vehicle now also seems to have slight flywheel chatter at idle. Vehicle now has 173500 miles.

tl;dr - DSG issues -trying to figure out whether I should replace trans, replace clutch pack, replace mechatronics, and/or replace flywheel - or a combination of those.

Vehicle also has insufficient EGR flow - time to resolve that :)rolleyes:;)), so I'm a turning point with this car. I've owned it for 2 months now (bought it knowing about the DSG issue, but did not think it would escalate this quickly) - price did reflect condition.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
There a few post on DSG with this problem It is called the flash of death.
You will need to replace valve body mechatronics unit.

2010 JSW TDI DSG - 173k
P2711 code, unexpected mechanical gear disengagement - When vehicle is first started never an issue going into any drive mode. After driving (sometimes as little as a few miles) - when going from D/S/M to P/R vehicle will make clunking noises as though the valve body/mechatronics unit is attempting to change gear/drive mode but then the drive mode indicator goes away on screen and P2711 fault appears. The workaround seems to be that if I restart the vehicle, it will go into any drive mode without issues, even immediately restarted. There is a TSB for P2711 fault that states it is due to debris in the wet clutch packs and the fix is to replace the wet clutch packs. Previous owner of my vehicle brought it to the dealer for diagnosis and their very vague diagnosis was the following: (154096 miles- 06/24/15) "Customer states CEL is on. Check and advise. - Light was on all day yesterday and came off while pulling into the service drive. No drivability issues.
Scanned the vehicle and P2711 for a faulty mechatronics unit was stored. Doing output tests the control module is working normally. There is an internal short in the mechatronic unit causing the light to come on."
Prior repair order (150558 miles - 10/14/14): Customer requests transmission service. Customer states intermittent shifting issues when going into reverse/forward at low speeds (won't shift). Scanned transmission control module and P2711 unexpected mechanical gear disengagement intermittent fault stored. Customer was unsure if DSG fluid/filter service had ever been performed. Factory recommended fix for DTC P2711 is to replace wet clutch pack. This was explained to customer and was declined. Peformed DSG fluid and dilter change. Test drove vehicle. Customer to monitor."
Service history I received indicates that DSG services had been performed on time. I also performed a DSG service upon purchase of the vehicle at 164k miles, and issue was resolved for about 2000 miles, then intermittently returned and has now gotten much more frequent. Vehicle now also seems to have slight flywheel chatter at idle. Vehicle now has 173500 miles.
tl;dr - DSG issues -trying to figure out whether I should replace trans, replace clutch pack, replace mechatronics, and/or replace flywheel - or a combination of those.
Vehicle also has insufficient EGR flow - time to resolve that :)rolleyes:;)), so I'm a turning point with this car. I've owned it for 2 months now (bought it knowing about the DSG issue, but did not think it would escalate this quickly) - price did reflect condition.

branden

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Flash of death? I'm not seeing the indicator flash - it simply goes blank when the issue occurs.

What leads you to the conclusion that the mechatronics unit is faulty and not the clutches per the TSB?