www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 13th, 2018, 22:06   #556
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
have any 2015s had this issue?

Could someone with access to ETKA check if it's the same part number between a 2013 and a 2015?
Yes, it is the same.

However, the number from the 2013 has been superceeded since your car was built.
Old October 14th, 2018, 06:53   #557
jason_
Veteran Member

Reasons like this is why Im dumping and replacing my coolant on my 15 tdi every 30k miles.

$60 in coolant, $5 distilled water.

I'm an honest believer the coolant is getting jacked from the exhaust Temps....

So keeping it fresh, I'll keep everyone updated if this method fails me.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 09:13   #558
Tomgtd

TDI(s): GTD Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
Europe has an entirely different Passat - ours has been designed and built in the USA
I was discussing the golf gtd from the UK, Iím unsure if there is much difference between the us variant and the UK?
Tomgtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 09:14   #559
Tomgtd

TDI(s): GTD Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Reasons like this is why Im dumping and replacing my coolant on my 15 tdi every 30k miles.

$60 in coolant, $5 distilled water.

I'm an honest believer the coolant is getting jacked from the exhaust Temps....

So keeping it fresh, I'll keep everyone updated if this method fails me.

Are you compleltly draining your system each time then?
If so how are you doing that? Is it simple for a novice to do?
Tomgtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 11:47   #560
jason_
Veteran Member

It's kinda miserable.

Need to pull all the lowest hoses to kill the block and radiator as much as possible. Refill only with distilled water. Let it idle until hot enough to open thermostat. Redain again. Then refill with the ending result..

It's not a 5 min job.

Bit I have a walk in floor pit under an overhead hoist. So..yeah...

Old October 15th, 2018, 05:46   #561
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

I took my '14 Passat in this morning to have the heat problem looked at. They stated it was the heater core and it wasn't covered under warranty. After leaving I realized that they didn't put it in the system correctly, instead they pulled up the warranty information for the '15 Passat I previously owned. I then went back to the dealer, who refunded my diagnostic fee ($125) and when the correct VIN was used they could see the CPO warranty and it was covered. Also they noted an Ad Blue heater recall (service campaign). Neither parts were in but they are now on order and I should be able to get it all fixed either late this week or sometime next. Should be an all day thing according the the service department.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k

Last edited by goodmonkey; October 15th, 2018 at 07:32. Reason: Updated to reflect latest information.
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:00   #562
jason_
Veteran Member

So they pulled up attempted warranty info not with the the VIN# sitting in the garage?

That's concerning....

If I bought a used car from someone in Florida with cash and took it to a dealer in Washington, and said it might have issues, they wouldn't be using my name. Seems they'd run the VIN.

But I might just be an idiot too.

I had that experience with a half ton Silverado. Bought it used. Took it in for a shift solenoid 2 years later.

It Came back with new abs module, new wiper motor, new maf, a/c compressor, new fuel rail line, and a few other things.

Said ***! They gave me the paper and the VIN family of that truck had a bunch of recalls. $0.00 besides what I actually brought the truck in for.

Last edited by jason_; Yesterday at 03:06.
Old Yesterday, 14:32   #563
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
So they pulled up attempted warranty info not with the the VIN# sitting in the garage?

That's concerning....

If I wasn't also amused I would probably be pissed. I reviewed my dash cam tonight and unless they unplugged it (which is possible) I don't think it ever moved, nor did anyone attempt to turn it on for diagnostic. So other than the guy who checked the car in it may never have been looked at. I'm dropping it off tomorrow and getting a loaner because they think this will take days to do. I tried explaining this wasn't the JSW the technicians were saying they had to pull the dash out, this was accessed with the dash in. I verified the instructions in ErWin Repair Group 87 3.12.1 and with this forum, so we will see how they handle it. As for dash removal, I've done that in an A5 Jetta (JSW similar) down to the firewall, so I know what is involved there.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote