www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old Yesterday, 07:43   #16
bravo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
When looking for an older TDI, (or perhaps any older car), I prefer to buy from the original or, at least, a long time owner. The owner should know something about the car, although he or she doesn't have to be an expert. And I'm not a stickler for service history (and I don't find Carfax particularly useful on older cars), but I do like to know that one shop or individual has taken good care of the car during its life. I don't mind if the car needs catch-up maintenance. And I tend to avoid heavily modded cars (I guess that would include my own ).

Example: My son totaled his '00 Golf a few years ago, skidded on ice. I found a car here that the owner had posted without pictures or a price. It was less than two hours from me so after talking to him I gambled on taking a look. '02 Golf, 245K miles. The miles put me off, but he was the original owner, the car had been garaged a lot of its life, and it was cared for by one of the best TDI gurus in the Northeast. It needed some work, but nothing insurmountable. Long story short, my son has driven the car over 100K miles in the last four years, it's only needed routine maintenance and wear items, and it is one of the best running TDIs I've driven. And it was very inexpensive. That's the kind of thing I'd look for.
I have a choice to buy from a small dealer (not original owner) with only 95k miles or buy from 2nd owner who loves the car, hard to part with and has a ton of info but it has 158k miles. both around the same price and travel distance apart
bravo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59   #17
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

95K miles is pretty attractive. I'd look at a Carfax and see how many owners it had. If it's only one or two that may be worth considering. But 60K miles isn't a ton on these cars. If those are MKIV cars both are very low miles.
Old Yesterday, 10:39   #18
bravo69

Quote:
When looking for an older TDI, (or perhaps any older car), I prefer to buy from the original or, at least, a long time owner. The owner should know something about the car, although he or she doesn't have to be an expert. And I'm not a stickler for service history (and I don't find Carfax particularly useful on older cars), but I do like to know that one shop or individual has taken good care of the car during its life. I don't mind if the car needs catch-up maintenance. And I tend to avoid heavily modded cars (I guess that would include my own ).

Example: My son totaled his '00 Golf a few years ago, skidded on ice. I found a car here that the owner had posted without pictures or a price. It was less than two hours from me so after talking to him I gambled on taking a look. '02 Golf, 245K miles. The miles put me off, but he was the original owner, the car had been garaged a lot of its life, and it was cared for by one of the best TDI gurus in the Northeast. It needed some work, but nothing insurmountable. Long story short, my son has driven the car over 100K miles in the last four years, it's only needed routine maintenance and wear items, and it is one of the best running TDIs I've driven. And it was very inexpensive. That's the kind of thing I'd look for.
do you or anyone know if there are any issues with the newer used vw tdi's from the diesel fix? I heard only 2015 is the only year where there were no or very minor changes. too soon to tell? still contemplating on getting a newer used 2015 or older 2003.
Old Yesterday, 11:34   #19
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Too soon to tell. But we an IDParts team member with a fixed '10 that's been trouble free. His was the first car our local dealer fixed, so it's been a while. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an earlier CR TDI.
Old Yesterday, 12:57   #20
bravo69

Quote:
95K miles is pretty attractive. I'd look at a Carfax and see how many owners it had. If it's only one or two that may be worth considering. But 60K miles isn't a ton on these cars. If those are MKIV cars both are very low miles.
I just learned the timing belt/water pumped has not been replaced. It is due at 100k (1.9L) I believe. I have to drive it back home 220 miles.

I heard people replacing timing belts much later than the recommended service.

Should I replace it at the local dealership or do it after getting it back home?

Also can this be used to bargain the price down. Its not a private sale it is from the dealer which most likely he picked it up at an auction so it could probably come down with the price a bit. Maybe not. He knows the car will sell anyway
Old Yesterday, 13:05   #21
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I'd probably chance the drive and have it changed properly when you get home. But you should hope you're lucky and it doesn't fail. It's way past due for time, not miles. But a botched timing belt job may be worse than none at all. If there's a TDI guru near the sale site you could have it done before you travel.