www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 7th, 2018, 17:02   #16
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinging Steel View Post
....would a VCDS cable help with my situation? Any way it could negate a flashzilla all together?
VCDS is a diagnostic tool and can't write full tunes/module updates. Since you own two VWs, it would be well worth buying. Even if your cars are dealer maintained, intend to be left stock, and are under warranty. We've been spoiled with a great resource for our cars, understanding how to use this tool is more valuable than knowing how to change a tire and will save you from potential headaches and expenses in the long run.

The handheld tuners do not allow you to flash the pre-fix software onto the vehicle. VW has moved around several maps, and since the ECU software is different, the device does not recognize the ECU as the same. All files are made up specific to the ECU software currently on the ECU, if the base software on the ECU changes, then the modified files won't work and the tool will have to be erased and a new read made. They only work on one vehicle at a time.

All of our tunes automatically account for altitude and stock limiters like oil, coolant, and EGT limiters, are kept intact, most of the main diesel tuners are the same. We do have a full dyno, smoke opacity machine etc. The main killer of DPFs seems to be short city driving and excessive light use, diesels need to be driven hard every now and again to help keep things clean, having a tune seems to help if anything. Under normal driving conditions tuned cars should behave like oem if not better.

Feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions

Cheers,
Owain

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; October 7th, 2018 at 17:05.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 18:51   #17
Swinging Steel

Fuel Economy: 47-48 avg ALH

Right. I saw the value of VCDS back in '09 while I had my one ALH. What I meant to ask was 'is there anything a vcds cable can do that a flashzilla or qloader can't do?'
Swinging Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 06:39   #18
Owain@malonetuning

the flashzilla/qloader can only do basic code reading, there's no equivalent alternative for VCDS

Old October 10th, 2018, 10:03   #19
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinging Steel View Post
Right. I saw the value of VCDS back in '09 while I had my one ALH. What I meant to ask was 'is there anything a vcds cable can do that a flashzilla or qloader can't do?'

Program the windows to roll down with the key fob!!!!

If you are hard up on spending the money on the flashzilla, look at Local Malone dealers, they should offer flashing at their sites, they also may charge you a dealer fee for their time though.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:03   #20
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
If you are hard up on spending the money on the flashzilla, look at Local Malone dealers, they should offer flashing at their sites, they also may charge you a dealer fee for their time though.

Considering that even a small shop now charges a small fortune for their hourly charge, the FlashZilla pays for itself.

When I took my car in for the Phase 2 to VW, I uninstalled my Stage 2 tune. VW had to redo the ECU to accomodate the new emission sensor. Then when I got the car back, Malone had to re-tweak the Stage 2 file I so I could re-install it. So I figure that those 2 instances made up for the cost of the FlashZilla tool.
Old October 13th, 2018, 12:51   #21
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

I asked a VW master tech about options for improving my 2015 Passat post fix. He told me there isn’t anything worth doing that VW can’t see and black flag the warranty for. He said that each time the vehicle is serviced at VW they plug it in to connect to VW, VW can compare the number of times the ECU has been flashed according to their system to the number of times the car ECM reports it has been flashed. If the numbers don’t match it’s goodbye warranty. If this information isn’t accurate I wouldn’t know, I have a work relationship to the dealer and that was the answer I received when asked.

It seems like the workaround would be to get a second ECM to tune and swap them before service, I’m not sure if this would cause other issues.

Former TDI’s: 2009 Jetta TDI - traded 09/2013, 2011 Touareg TDI - Bought back 2/26/2018
My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13

Last edited by BroncoAZ; October 13th, 2018 at 12:54.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2018, 15:02   #22
Owain@malonetuning

That's correct, their automated guided fault finding system can flag things and send it back to VWoA, it's all cloud based at this point I believe and individual dealerships have no control over it since they are supposed to do these scans as part of their procedure to get paid for warranty work. We've had customers not get detected that have good working relationships with the dealer, the fault counter should update when port flashing however so it should be detectable unless changing that data on the bench.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do has some info and what methods techs are expected to take to inform customers their vehicles are modified and what steps to take to detect it (including inspecting the ecu physically to see if it's been opened). It's vw's main tech site and has basically all info for the last 20 years, worth hopping on and downloading a bunch of files for repairs etc ($35/day)

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492 covers it fairly well too.