'02 Jetta.... won't start, won't even turn over...

timirving

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS; 2002 Jetta TDI GLS
My Jetta has been running really well, just installed new VR6 front springs and shock/struts (Bilstein TCs...Thanks Justin!)

This morning (20-30 degrees), I went to go to the office, turned the key, everything was normal then I turned the ignition and..... NOTHING. I thought the battery was crap or didn't have the cranking power with the cold weather but hooked up jumper cables and a charger and still.... nothing.

Scanned it with VCDS..... no DTCs

I am thinking about checking the grounds tomorrow when it's light and possibly the ASV, anything else I should check. Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Is this the 2005 or 2002? Is it an Automatic? Need more info in order to help.

My initial thoughts are Neutral safety switch or Automatic Trans not in Park. When you say, Nothing.. is it Cranking Over?

timirving

TDI
Manual, it's the 2002 Jetta and nothing means.... no cranking, no clicking, all the bells and lights work though.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Another possibility is that the pigtail on the starter isn't getting the "start" signal. They corrode inside the wire and although look intact, the wire is in two pieces held together by the insulation.

timirving

TDI
Another possibility is that the pigtail on the starter isn't getting the "start" signal. They corrode inside the wire and although look intact, the wire is in two pieces held together by the insulation.
What's the easiest way to check this?

timirving

TDI
OK, Justin ("oldpoopie") graciously came over with a relay 109, we (mostly he) took apart the lower dash and noticed some rust on the metal parts, when he took out the inner liner with the insulation, it was frozen. I have a leak somewhere and it might have done something to the wiring harness, or possibly relay 109. Installing the new relay 109 did nothing. He also checked the clutch with VAG-COM and there doesn't appear to be a problem with the switch.

Still could be the starter...... to cold to work on it..... I'm thinking it's too much of a coincidence that the leak and ice in the dash have nothing to do with my problem.

Has anyone had a leak like this? I'm pretty sure it's water.... I hope it's not too extensive :(

timirving

TDI
Update......

Well, the leak dripped water all over my anti-theft starter relay and the water froze, I dethawed the relay, swapped out the dual horn relay and the car started no problem.

Now.....to find out where the leak came from.... :mad:

timirving

TDI
Who would've thought that...
I'm just glad I have an obsessive personality.... It was eating me up, not knowing what was going on :D

There were a lot of f-bombs dropped when I figured it out..... mainly because I have NO IDEA where he leak is coming from but luckily, it's water.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
First thing to check is to clean out the plenum. Open the hood and look carefully at the plastic shield under the wipers, is it cracked? Clean out any debris in the areas where water can collect and make sure water drains out the bottom, instead of pooling. Have you had the windshield replaced? Do you have a sunroof? It's possible the sunroof drains can clog and let water run internally and it can find its way to the dash.

timirving

TDI
First thing to check is to clean out the plenum. Open the hood and look carefully at the plastic shield under the wipers, is it cracked? Clean out any debris in the areas where water can collect and make sure water drains out the bottom, instead of pooling. Have you had the windshield replaced? Do you have a sunroof? It's possible the sunroof drains can clog and let water run internally and it can find its way to the dash.
Can water really make it to the dash from the sunroof? I cleaned out the gunk in the ends of the drain with a q-tip and clipped the ends when I first bought the car in the summer but when I took it to the dealership to get the leather seat replaced under the extended warranty, they also "fixed" the sunroof drains.

If water can truly make its way to the dash, wouldn't it have to go through the headliner first? If it can happen, maybe the dealership f-ed the drain tube up.... :mad:

Last edited:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, water can run down the pillar and find a way to climb anywhere except uphill. Capillary action... Most likely its not from the sunroof but from the plenum under the wipers. You will have to get a hose out and start testing until you find out where the water is coming in.

jess1860

TDI
2002 jetta
02 Jetta won't start

Hey guys can someone help me out? I have an 02 Jetta tdi automatic, it's -29 out today and I have no block heater. However I don't think that is the problem though, I turn the key on and all my dash lights come on. No issues there. But I then turn the key to start the car and NOTHING. No crank at all. I hold the key to try and turn it on but it's got no crank at all. I let the key go and try again but it locks up I have to turn it off and try again but nothing changes.