Transmission Fluid Change - Automatic vs Manual Transmission

tca32123

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDi, Platinum Grey, Grey Leather, ESP, Monsoon Radio and 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi, Forest Green, slush box for the wife
Have one of each vehicles and before i start down a bad path here just want to clarify my understanding on how they differ in methods of changing the transmission fluid.

thru the glory of "the search" came across these threads:

manual: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=115899
auto: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=288052

Manual looks easy enough for my kid to do. Auto looks more daunting. Just want to make sure first that there is in fact a difference in changing the fluid out on the different trannys. Is the auto fluid swap a procedure you'd recommend for a not too experience person?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The two tasks are not the same.

Do you have VAGCOM, TCA?

tca32123

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDi, Platinum Grey, Grey Leather, ESP, Monsoon Radio and 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi, Forest Green, slush box for the wife
dieseldorf said:
The two tasks are not the same.

Do you have VAGCOM, TCA?
nope, i believe i'll have to take it over to roger feldt to get the auto tranny fluid switched out.

thx for confirming.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
In an auto trans the fluid needs to be checked at a certain temperature. VCDS will tell you the temp of the fluid.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
You can drain the old fluid, measure what you take out, and replace with same amount. I did that with my 09A, same one in your Jetta. The orange security cap will most likely break, but you can get by without it. Give the fill cap a couple of twists and pull out. It is held in by O-rings.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I used Mobil 1, Micron V. That is what I found on the Vortex how-to. I paid ~ $10/quart at Auto Zone, and I needed 4 full quarts.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
tca, you're right - a MTF change is stupid easy. Undo the fill plug (ALWAYS THE FILL PLUG FIRST), undo the drain plug, wait until done draining. Nip up the drain plug, 2 liters of G060 or G070 into the fill hole, nip up the fill plug, 25 N-m on both. Realign the shifter linkage, clean up, have a beer.

The ATF change on the 01M has more steps, more things to remove, more bits to keep track of and a silly procedure to make sure it's full. But I'd still only rate it a 2 out of 10 for difficulty. The 09A seems just as easy as a manual transmission except that you should only refill what you pull out (maybe plus a little for good measure).

lilspoon, there are many places to get the correct VW-approved ATF. 1stvwparts, idparts, etc... and if you're willing to go off the VW-approved ATF you have many more choices.

irondogger

TDI
'12 Sportwagen TDI
Where's the beer

The ATF change on the 01M has more steps, more things to remove, more bits to keep track of and a silly procedure to make sure it's full. But I'd still only rate it a 2 out of 10 for difficulty. The 09A seems just as easy as a manual transmission except that you should only refill what you pull out (maybe plus a little for good measure).
Between my wife and I, we have a DSG and 6 shooter manual. My question is where is the beer for the DSG? This is the most important aspect of the task..... of course it is the final one! :p

L8r,..........irondogger

Cat3roadracer

TDI
Jetta SportWagen
Where is the beer? The beer, Lone Star, is in a cooler in your driveway while your trusted buds change the fluid.

Between my wife and I, we have a DSG and 6 shooter manual. My question is where is the beer for the DSG? This is the most important aspect of the task..... of course it is the final one! :p

L8r,..........irondogger