Battery light came on while doing diesel purge procedure while high revving...

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Hello!

Topic says it all. I need a wiring diagram to try to troubleshoot the trouble... the alternator had always been flawless :(

Maybe it's the alternator itself or something in the wiring... who knows...

Any place where I could get a charging system wiring diagram for 2000 TDI Jetta?

Trying to find online with poor success...

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I am pretty sure you won't need a wiring diagram to find the cause. I recently had this issue and there are a couple of things you can check.

Does the battery light is always on? Is it intermitent?

If the light is intermitent, it can be your alternator or your alternator clutch pulley.

Do you get ~14v on the battery with the engine running?

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
If you decide you need the wiring diagrams, bentley's repair manual has them in print form, or you can download them from erwin.vw.com ($35 for one days access, they are in PDF format, you can download & save permanently).

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
thanks guys.

After playing with the voltage regulator, the alternator is now overcharging to 18-19 volts... Damn...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
thanks guys.

After playing with the voltage regulator, the alternator is now overcharging to 18-19 volts... Damn...
Does the alt light come on when you turn the key on?
With the car running and headlights on, check for a voltage drop from the battery negative post to the case of the alternator, then to the regulator case.
I would not want to see more then a few tenths of a volt.