Peugeot Plans USA Comeback (From a German news source)

newflyer22

Veteran Member
TDI
(former) 2003 Golf GL TDI Reflex Silver/ Black

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
If this is true it's good news indeed. Right now VW exploits it's market position in NA, by virtue of being the only "affordable" European brand. A little competition would be good for us consumers.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
That might explain the newer Peugeot sedan (not sure of the model) I saw back in New Mexico. May have been going through US desert testing. They may have been renting space from the Audi testing facility in southern NM or something.

thierryvw

Veteran Member
Spent my holidays in Paris,was drooling on the new 307 station wagon HDI, hope it will be showing in the good old USA!!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Originally posted by newflyer22:
I ran across this and did a google translation, which makes it somewhat difficult to read, yet the article clearly says Peugeot wants to come back to the US.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">UGH! And we complain about VWoA being able to service its products in this country? Just wait. Peugeot takes that problem to a whole new level. Great cars but woefully inadequate ability to repair them.

saabguru

Veteran Member
It would be impossible to relay all the trouble from an ordinary dialup connection. We would all have to get high-speed access, and pay big bucks for the hosting of the site.

I'm still working on believing VW is going to bring the passat back in diesel.

I love the Peugeot 404.

They will no doubt be waaaaaay upmarket, a la Volvo/Mercedes/SAAB etc.

I'll just find a nice restored Citroen CX diesel. I already have a ready source for the hydro fluid, the VW dealer!!!!!

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Pugs are trouble ? Nah!

How about an Alfa Romeo 156 with 2.4L JTD ?

samuel

Veteran Member
I sure hope if Peugeot comes back that they do it with a proper Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension and the traditional super-quick Citroen power steering and brakes. My 30 year old Citroen rides, handles, and steers better than my '02 Golf, sad to say.

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
Originally posted by samuel:
I sure hope if Peugeot comes back that they do it with a proper Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension and the traditional super-quick Citroen power steering and brakes. My 30 year old Citroen rides, handles, and steers better than my '02 Golf, sad to say.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">er...samuel? I suspect that IF Peugeot comes back to the US, they'll be selling Peugeots, not Citroens.

Having said that, most of the recent Citroens appear to be emulating the current Peugeot range, the difference isn't very discernable.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
There are no Peugeots on sale in Europe with hydropneumatic suspension.

Whilst Peugeot and Citroen are the same parent company, and they do share engines and floor pans, the cars are different.

Only the larger Citroens have hydropneumatic suspension (maybe only the C5 now? )

All of the Peugeots and the smaller Citroens have conventional springs and dampers.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The interesting thing about Peugeot diesels is the particulate trap which gives them lower particulate emissions than a gasser.

It is exactly what the US market needs to finally shutup the anti diesel environmentalists who don't understand what they are talking about.

[ January 14, 2003, 02:22: Message edited by: christi ]

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
At least up until the late 1990's you could buy a Citroen Xantia with the active suspension, at least in France. I don't know about today. I wouldn't consider this a "large" car.

I rented many Xantias with the PSA 1.9 TD and they were terrific cars. I can only imagine the HDi to be awesome! If Citroen were to offer the Xantia (or whatever has replaced it by now) in the USA, I'd consider it. It really was a nice car.