am i in trouble?

Mr.Pain

TDI
Jetta 2000
I Have a 2000 Jetta tdi wit 134k miles. I was driving to school across town when i noticed a ton of black smoke coming out the back of my jetta no odd sounds and was running fine. i got to school and when i was heading back home there wasn't anything wrong no smoke nothing untill i got about 10 mins from my house my oil light came on so i pulled off to the side of road checked my oil and looked for any leaks ect. it's been parked in the garage for about a week or so now haven't have had time to look at it. i have a few ideas of what it could be but i'd like to check wit some more experiened people before i start making any conclusions.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Why not share what recent work, if any has been performed.

Welcome aboard!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
so when you checked the oil level was it OK?

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Remember, that's a low oil pressure warning light, not a low oil level light.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The #1 culprit is your turbo... easy to check... pull the pipe off your intercooler and see how much oil pours out... I'd probably just go to the turbo itself, and take the pipe off the intake to the turbo. reach in and pull on compressor and see what kind of movement you have... assuming you HAVE a turbo compressor. I'd guess you either broke the shaft or spun the compressor off the shaft. Other option is you lost the oil seal.

Count your blessings that you didn't hydrolock, although that is a remote option, yet.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
DO NOT START your car till you check the above posts. If it is the turbo seal you WILL damage the engine more if you keep driving it>

Mr.Pain

TDI
Jetta 2000
there isn't any modifications besides an egr delete but was done with vag-com. i havn't started at all since i got in the garage and when i checked the oil was perfect. i have a feeling its the valves or the oil pump bearings could it be any1 of these? im going to try the things you guys said above on monday hopefully. ill let you know what i find then k :)

Mr.Pain

TDI
Jetta 2000
took off the hose to turbo and turbo spins just fine and no oil in hose to intercooler. what else could it be?

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
I will just say that was about what mine did and it had a very small noise like a leaf stuck in a fan vent, and tons of smoke. Now I am having to replace the turbo. Do not know what to tell you but I am in the same boat of heavy smoke. the thing I notice was a lose in power and did not hear the turbo spooling when it was smoking do you remember if you had these things happen? Take care and good luck hope it is not a turbo for you.

Mr.Pain

TDI
Jetta 2000
no there wasn't any noises or not thing it ran great no problems and no power lose thats also y i think it something inside the engine and not the turbo like the pump bearing or something like that is going out. could it be this at all?

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Well it sounds like it is not it. For your case I hope so. That info about the bearing is higher than my paygrade. :D

Mr.Pain

TDI
Jetta 2000
lol i kinda of hope its something like that its only like a $50 fix compared to a $600-$900 fix lol but i just wish ppl would give me more info on it.:mad: