2015 Golf Sportwagon SE uncomfortable front seats

johnspear23

TDI
Now 2015 Sportwagen TDI Past 2003 Jetta TDI
Bought my 2015 Golf Sportwagon SE two years ago and the only complaint I have are the uncomfortable front seats. I noticed it on my first trip over 1.5 hours. Any trip longer than that my back starts to hurt. Now my back is starting to hurt during trips around town. If I drive my wife's vehicle it doesn't hurt. I'm in great shape and don't have any other back problems otherwise, don't keep my wallet in my back pocket. Does anyone have the same issue in their 2015 SE? Has anyone heard of anybody replacing the seats with ones more comfortable? Thanks for your help

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Try adjusting the seat so that your body is being supported in all areas. It's possible that your weight isn't being distributed evenly.

My SEL has the "sport" seats. Unfortunately, I find the cushion to be on the soft side and not very supportive. Lifting the front portion of the seat seems to be helping, though.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Yes, I have noticed the same discomfort. I drove my car 4 hrs home when I bought it and it wasn't too bad, but we just took a road trip. The first day, my hips were hurting after 3 hrs, back too. I adjusted it numerous times but I am dissatisfied. Second day was almost the same.
On our return trip today after 10 hrs it was not as bad.

I took many similar trips in my 2010 Jetta and the seat was much better. I assumed this 15 SE seats are the same seat. Too bad, as VW has long been known for great seats.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
I travel long distances for work and have noticed the same thing. JSW was much better. I wonder if there is a seat out there that could be swapped for the drivers seat at least?

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
The 2015 GSW S has the least comfortable seats I've ever had in a VW going back 37 years. In my case I get all uncomfortable and sometimes downright aching in my butt and to a lesser extent hamstring area on long drives. I've fiddled with the settings to no avail. No back problems though. I also find the seats a little too confining, and in general the car just doesn't fit like a glove like previous VWs. My 02 Jetta and 91 GTI seemed to be a bit wider between the bolsters, and even though the 91 had pretty stiff bolsters it was very comfortable.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I hate the seats too. The ones in my 2011 Golf TDI were much more comfortable. It's the only thing I hate in my SE :(

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
It will be interesting to see if and when S/SE owners begin swapping in SEL seats, which have seemed to receive better reviews. I'm curious if the difference is in the 4-way vs. 2-way lumbar adjustment or perhaps the cushion foam is different. Older VW models had different foam cushion p/ns between leather and cloth seat trims, perhaps that's still the case between leather and pleather.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've sat in the SEL seats in a friend's car and although they feel better than the seats in my S, they aren't hugely different. Since dealing with the power seats may be a hassle, seems it would be better to swap cushions.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
I spent six hours in my new gsw S today and agree. My butt is tingling like I hit my funny bone, but in my butt. Not comfortable. The seats on the 2014 Ford Fusion I traded in for it were infinitely better on long drives.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I find these more comfortable than the seats in our jetta sport we traded. I've also spent a lot of time in mini's and have done a 3600 mile road trip in an S2000.. so... i may just be numb all over. ironically the most comfortable was my wrangler.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am about to get a 2017 Golf alltrack and hope the seats are better. MY 09 JSW was fine,so I hope these will be as good.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
I'd like to disagree on the seats, but I can't. Nowhere near the seats in my Mk7 GTI, and even noticeably less comfortable than my 13 Passat SE seats. Maybe they'll wear in a little over time, but the material just seems firmer and not as thick. Instead of them giving enough to support, it's more like I'm just riding on top of the seats. Reminds me a little of the filling in those portable stadium bleacher seat covers.

JettaRon91vw

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I've found the SE seats to be just fine. But only if I adjust them so I'm sitting straight up. As in sitting with perfect posture, which is fine because then the headrest is only an inch or two from my head and better whiplash protection. My mkiv Jetta seats weren't this comfortable. I'm 5'9" 165 and the seats hug me just right.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
I'm 50/50 regarding the seat cushion in my SEL. One poster mentioned the lack of cushion travel. I would agree. It seems as though my butt hits something hard if the front isn't high enough.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Can one swap the seats between a Mk6 (2012 JSW) and Mk7 (2015 GSW S-model)?

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I had a few days between picking up the GSW and turning in the Jetta. I should have tried to swap the seats, but a 4 hr trip from El Paso to Albuquerque was not quite enough time to know how bad the they'd be. I figured my legs were a bit sore from the crappy Greyhound bus seats that morning combined with standing round the dealer for a bit. Plus my excitement for the new car and first drive home may have blocked out more of the discomfort factor.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The seats, the fuel tank size, and the initial $$ premium is why I bought the Jetta...
The mqb platform is nice...but there was some cost cutting....it shows IMO in the seats, which is something not easily fixed.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'd like to disagree on the seats, but I can't. Nowhere near the seats in my Mk7 GTI, and even noticeably less comfortable than my 13 Passat SE seats. Maybe they'll wear in a little over time, but the material just seems firmer and not as thick. Instead of them giving enough to support, it's more like I'm just riding on top of the seats. Reminds me a little of the filling in those portable stadium bleacher seat covers.
Which trim GTI? I find the GSW S seats to be even more comfortable than the Clark Plaid seats in my '16 GTI S, which are already comfortable. The GTI seats have less cushioning and more side bolstering, which is better for twisties but not as nice for cruising.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Which trim GTI? I find the GSW S seats to be even more comfortable than the Clark Plaid seats in my '16 GTI S, which are already comfortable. The GTI seats have less cushioning and more side bolstering, which is better for twisties but not as nice for cruising.
I had the Mk7 Autobahn with the leather. Seats were so supportive. Practically perfect. That being said, my GSW seats are starting to give a bit. Getting better.

FTMaloney

TDI
2010 Sportswagen
Jetta seat swap - I have a 2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI which VW is buying back. I just purchased a new 2015 Jetta model S TDI. However my wife hates the seats in the 2015 model S TDI because the lumbar support is not adjustable. Does anyone know if my 2010 Sportswagen power seats will work in my 2015 Jetta? Thanks

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
FT, did the seat swap work out?