Best starter for an "04" BEW?

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Well, I got my car back from my mechanic and it was running pretty good. (Need an injector wiring harness because it stumbles a little)

Anyway got it home and it sat in the garage for a week. Started it up twice today and the third time it would click or turn over, NOTHING!

Got a long rod and a hammer and smacked the starter twice and the SOB started right up! Shut it off and nothing! Got the hammer and rod back out and it started right up again!

So, it looks like I need a starter.

Anybody have any recommendations? Should I get a reman from Bosch or just goto Napa and get whatever they got?

Any advice and hints/help will be greatly appreciated!

The car is a 2004 TDI Jetta 5 speed manual tranny. BEW engine code.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
One word. Bosch.

Unless you want to get real good at changing starters repeatedly.

Wrecking yard used is better than parts store reman.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
One word. Bosch.

Unless you want to get real good at changing starters repeatedly.

Wrecking yard used is better than parts store reman.
Darn! I was hoping someone wouldn't say that!

Reman Bosch at Napa is $200

Reman Napa brand is $120

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Brand new Valeo from Rockauto (438076) for $150.79

I just installed it a couple of months ago and I wish I had done it sooner. The car never started at first crank, now is just right away every time

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I just got my starter installed. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, just about 2 hours total.

I ended up getting a reman Bosch at Napa for $200. It sure makes a difference over the old starter, it spins that engine over like nothing!

I did run into one little snafu, I noticed on the one plug that goes into the state that is a single blade connector that it came loose very easily and the little steel retaining clip was missing (Probably from a previous installation)

So, I am thinking that there probably wasn't a problem with the old starter at all, and maybe it was just that plug being loose.

Anyhow, I am going to try and order a new retaining clip from VW and install it.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've installed a massive H8 agm and larger starter/alternator wiring and the cranking is still slower than it should be. I've already removed and cleaned up the starter.

I'm going to try the Valeo.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Seriously, a new solenoid and a starter is generally good to go.
That's about all they do when they rebuild them anyhow, a starter rarely goes bad.
The starter contacts in the solenoid burn up and have high resistance causing it to crank slower, or the coil in the solenoid burns out and it won't slam forward.
Rarely does a coil burn out in the starter itself...