excessive oil usage

tim ingram

TDI
2004 jetta
hello All,
this is my first post so bare with me. I have a 2004 jetta tdi with 105K on it. at 97K I had the timing belt replaced at the dealership and now I go through about 3-4 quarts of oil between changes. I was getting the oil changed every 10K and I never had to add oil before. is this a common thing?
thank for your help.
P.S. the engine does not leak oil and I do not see blue smoke.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Yikes!!

It is neither common or normal.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Check the oil lines going to the turbo first.

tim ingram

TDI
2004 jetta
I havent found a leak anywhere yet! this is baffeling!!! you would figure with that much oil going somewhere there would be puddle on the ground or I would be senting up smoke signals every where but I'm not.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Autohausaz.com carries elf oil, some of which are 505.01 certified. They ship for free if you spend over $50.

That's a pretty serious consumption problem or leak. Any attempt at an internet diagnosis at this point would be pure speculation.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Tim, this is an issue you must address. Many of these car consume no measurable oil over the 10k mile interval...something is clearly wrong.

I'd suggest getting the car to your local go-to person* and see if they can identify what the dealer effed up. Always, always stay away from the dealer. That was your first mistake; don't compound the error by returning :)

*I'm thinking about JollyGreenGiant in Bradford (MA).

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
tim ingram said:
does anyone know where I can get the 505.01 oil cheap? or cheaper than the dealership?
Yes, Prompto Oil locations carry the ELF brand 505.01.

NEW HAMPSHIRE LOCATIONS
CLAREMONT 603-543-9508 280 Washington Street
CONCORD 603-228-3560 131 South Main Street
DOVER 603-740-2973 11 Weeks Lane
NORTH CONWAY 603-356-4882 2100 White Mountain Hwy
SEABROOK 603-474-3064 431 Lafayette Road - Route 1

I pay $35 for 5 litre jug.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Tim,

My advice:

Do not drive this car one more mile until you track down and treat the problems (not the symptoms.)

Oil consumption that high signifies a ticking time bomb--you may well experience a classic diesel runaway engine syndrome.

Park it. Fix it. Good luck friend.

Find a local guru from these forums to help you resolve this very serious matter:eek:

tim ingram

TDI
2004 jetta
I know it is not leaking oil. I only see a little blue puff when I start the car in the morning.
all this started when I brought the car in for the timing belt replacement at 98,000 miles along with an oil change. a few weeks later my oil light came on, I checked the oil and it didn't register on the dip stick. I've never had to add oil before. I took the car to the dealer and they changed the oil again and noted where the oil was on the dip stick, the dealer had me drive about 2000. miles and rechecked the oil, it was down about 1.5 quarts. the dealer said it was not excessive enought to worry about but I change the oil every 10,000 miles, so I would go through 7.5 quarts between oil changes.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Well for starters you would do well not to go to that dealer again because they are morons apparently. You have a serious problem somewhere Tim, that is not good.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
tim ingram said:
(snip) I checked the oil and it didn't register on the dip stick. I've never had to add oil before. I took the car to the dealer and they changed the oil again and noted where the oil was on the dip stick, the dealer had me drive about 2000. miles and rechecked the oil, it was down about 1.5 quarts. the dealer said it was not excessive enought to worry about but I change the oil every 10,000 miles, so I would go through 7.5 quarts between oil changes.
__. Most of us think that adding half a quart at about 7500 miles (and then a change at 10K) to be pretty high consumption. Something is *very* wrong here.